PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop - Noise levels

Victor Robinson
03-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Wondering if anyone has any experience with both the CS and the PCS and could comment on their relative baseline noise levels? I would think the PCS would be much quieter given the cabinet but I've also heard the CS is surprisingly quiet for a contractor saw. Is there a noticeable difference?

Thanks!

Glenn Vaughn
03-01-2010, 1:27 PM
I have no experience with the PCS but can tell you the CS is MUCH quieter than my BT-3000.

Paul Ryan
03-01-2010, 1:37 PM
I dont have any experience with th e CS saw but the PCS is like any other saw. Noise level is greatly determined by the blade hight and type. I haven't ever heard any new cabinet that makes much noise. The amount of teeth and confirguration make different pitches and sounds when they are turned at 3400 RPM's. I wouldn't really worry about sound levels from saws.

Victor Robinson
03-01-2010, 1:46 PM
Sorry, I know it's sort of a silly question so let me clarify.

I'm debating between these two saws. I know, they're very different saws. The PCS is probably way more saw than I'll ever need. But, the price difference is smaller than I expected and I'd rather be getting the safety technology for "free" rather than paying the premium for it. Makes sense in my head, at least.

Anyways, noise is a HUGE issue for me since we live in an attached San Francisco home. I use our small garage as my shop. The bad news is that my neighbors' living rooms are literally 10 feet up and to either side of where my saw will be. It's almost like living in an apartment building ('cept the walls between houses are brick). I don't use power tools past 7pm, but everytime I use my circ saw, router, Bosch jig, or even corded drill (it's a loud sucker), I cringe. And everytime I use my planer I'm practically waiting for my doorbell to ring. So if the PCS was offering a major advantage in noise levels, it would be another factor to consider. That's all. :)

Van Huskey
03-01-2010, 2:40 PM

I'm debating between these two saws. I know, they're very different saws. The PCS is probably way more saw than I'll ever need. But, the price difference is smaller than I expected and I'd rather be getting the safety technology for "free" rather than paying the premium for it. Makes sense in my head, at least.

Anyways, noise is a HUGE issue for me since we live in an attached San Francisco home. I use our small garage as my shop. The bad news is that my neighbors' living rooms are literally 10 feet up and to either side of where my saw will be. It's almost like living in an apartment building ('cept the walls between houses are brick). I don't use power tools past 7pm, but everytime I use my circ saw, router, Bosch jig, or even corded drill (it's a loud sucker), I cringe. And everytime I use my planer I'm practically waiting for my doorbell to ring. So if the PCS was offering a major advantage in noise levels, it would be another factor to consider. That's all. :)

The no-load sound pressure level of any quality (non-universal motored) table saw, cabinet or contractor isn't going to make any perceiveable difference compared to the SPL when the saw is cutting wood.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-01-2010, 4:05 PM
Since you clarified your question, I'll chime in. I have the ICS, and cutting wood makes way more noise than the saw itself does. The saw is incredibly quiet, much quieter than my old contractors saw.

Is that what Van said?:D

Callan Campbell
03-01-2010, 4:27 PM

Victor, here's another way to look at it. If the extra cost and size of the PCS is more than you'd like, then buy the Contractor saw and add noise dampening insulation to your shop as much as you can . This way, you AND your neighbors end up happy. There are lots of ways to deaden the sound depending on what you're running. Search here and elsewhere for methods that fit your space and budget.:cool: