PDA

View Full Version : ftp Client

Sean Troy
03-01-2010, 9:27 AM
Can anyone suggest a good free ftp software to download? thanks, Sean

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2010, 9:35 AM
Filezilla is free. CuteFTP used to be free and rate well, but it's now a 30 day free trial, not a free one.

Charles Wiggins
03-01-2010, 9:52 AM
I used to use Winsock FTP http://download.cnet.com/Ipswitch-WS-FTP-Home/3000-2160_4-10018456.html

At my last job we used SSH. The older version is available free for non-commercial use: http://www.ssh.com/support/downloads/secureshellwks/non-commercial.html

Both are pretty easy to use once you have them configured properly. SSH does have drag and drop to upload, which is really nice.

Chuck Wintle
03-01-2010, 10:23 AM
+1 for filezilla! :D

Jamie Buxton
03-01-2010, 2:45 PM
Core FTP works just fine for me. It is free.

Sean Troy
03-01-2010, 3:25 PM
Thanks for the help, Sean

Eric DeSilva
03-01-2010, 3:38 PM

If you use Firefox, I really like the FireFTP plug in.

I hated CuteFTP, btw. I signed up for their trial and had nothing but problems with their software.

Bill Arnold
03-01-2010, 3:43 PM
I've used WS_FTP_LE for many years and have had no problem with it. You can get it free here (http://www.oldversion.com/WS_FTP_Limited_Edition.html).

Rob Young
03-01-2010, 3:48 PM
+1 more for FileZilla

If you want to go old-school command line, FTP is still included at least through Windows XP...

Dave Johnson29
03-01-2010, 4:07 PM

When CuteFTP went to 30-day trial I decided to write my own. Called it FastTransferPuppy for the FTP acronym.

I showed a friend some of the features I was building into it and he said, "that looks like Filezilla." I checked out FileZilla and I was reinventing the wheel so I am now a firm fan of Filezilla. Development instantly halted on the Puppy. :D

Filezilla is my suggestion. Free and open source., Can't get better than that.

Ron Cole
03-02-2010, 9:23 AM
FileZilla is the way to go, unless you want encryption and the old server only supports SCP. In the past, FZ hasn't supported scp so in that case, use WinSCP.

Jerome Hanby
03-02-2010, 9:42 AM

No clue what a Mac might offer (but it's probably in modern decorator colors and comes with free espresso), but Windows and Linux have an ftp client. Simple command line driven stuff, but if you don't need "secure" transfer, they work and are free in the sense that you already have them.

Patrick Doody
03-02-2010, 10:39 AM
another +1 for FileZilla

Prashun Patel
03-02-2010, 11:09 AM
If yr on a PC, then XP has it free. You don't need to use cmd prompt. U can use yr browser or even Windows Explorer:

if you type ftp:\\<the url>, you'll get the password and login prompt (I know this at least works in IExplorer, MZ Firefox, and good ol' Windows Explorer).

I prefer to use Windows Explorer, because the file navigation is a little better than the browser based interface.

Once yr in, you can drag and drop as if the remote host is an attached drive.

Free or not, I hate installing anything I don't need on my pc.

Chuck Wintle
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
If yr on a PC, then XP has it free. You don't need to use cmd prompt. U can use yr browser or even Windows Explorer:

if you type ftp:\\<the url>, you'll get the password and login prompt (I know this at least works in IExplorer, MZ Firefox, and good ol' Windows Explorer).

I prefer to use Windows Explorer, because the file navigation is a little better than the browser based interface.

Once yr in, you can drag and drop as if the remote host is an attached drive.

Free or not, I hate installing anything I don't need on my pc.
You have not missed anything except most probably don't know Xp has this feature

Sean Troy
03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I tried the built in with XP but got corrupted files in the transfer. Filezilla worked fine with no problems.

Bryan Morgan
03-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Internet Explorer used to do FTP fine. They have since broken it. Part of my job is helping people with our company FTP (trying to get rid of it as there are much better solutions...) and I always recommend Filezilla. It just frikin works... :)

Neal Clayton
03-03-2010, 6:39 AM
if you need a username password, the syntax would be...

ftp://username:password@thisftpserver.com

and yea, any modern browser has ftp downloading capability without any modification. explorer can upload as well by simply drag and drop.

Chuck Wintle
03-03-2010, 7:13 AM
There is an add-on for Firefox called FireFTP that supports secure file transfers. It is important to use a secure feature when transferring files. :D

Bryan Morgan
03-04-2010, 9:36 PM
if you need a username password, the syntax would be...

ftp://username:password@thisftpserver.com

and yea, any modern browser has ftp downloading capability without any modification. explorer can upload as well by simply drag and drop.

Not as easily... You first have to browse to your FTP site, then click Page -> Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.... and if it requires a specific login then good luck... its a 50/50 chance it will work. Usually it takes 5-10 tries to accept a login. Why M$ broke it is beyond me... it worked fine up to IE6... after that its a crap shoot. Better to just use a real FTP client or scrap FTP altogether and use something better and more modern.

Neal Clayton
03-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Not as easily... You first have to browse to your FTP site, then click Page -> Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.... and if it requires a specific login then good luck... its a 50/50 chance it will work. Usually it takes 5-10 tries to accept a login. Why M$ broke it is beyond me... it worked fine up to IE6... after that its a crap shoot. Better to just use a real FTP client or scrap FTP altogether and use something better and more modern.

ouch, yea i'm still using XP, and don't use IE, so haven't upgraded.

anything that works can be improved by broken features i guess ;).

Bryan Morgan
03-05-2010, 11:16 PM
ouch, yea i'm still using XP, and don't use IE, so haven't upgraded.

anything that works can be improved by broken features i guess ;).

I have a meeting next week with a client who refuses to use anything but the new IE for sending their files to our FTP... I have to go explain to them that IE sucks and show them a real FTP program. I don't usually make trips for something this trivial but its a good customer and they are not happy about not easily being able to send us files. They think its our fault and not IE. :rolleyes: