PDA

View Full Version : Selling Online

George Sanders
03-01-2010, 6:41 AM
I posted something for sale online a while ago and at first I was inundated by spammers/scammers. It tapered off and after one sale to a legitimate buyer all I'm hearing from is the bottom feeders trying to lowball everything. I tell them the price is set and if they think it's too high then buy it somewhere else.
They seem to think that if you are trying to sell something that you are desperate to get it gone. I'm not; and I feel like telling them that the item IS paid for and I don't have to feed it.
Anyone else have a similar experience? I have bought things from online classifieds and never had a problem. I just didn't know selling something could be so annoying.

Myk Rian
03-01-2010, 7:16 AM
Sounds like you're advertising on CL. It's all part of the game.
Many people believe that because it's on CL, you are willing to barter.

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2010, 8:09 AM
i have had the same experience with CL, from cars to old furniture. That's the nature of the beast. At least on EB you can set minimums and are somewhat insulated from pestering. If you are selling you products online then an online store should help eliminate those people,

George Sanders
03-01-2010, 9:01 AM
I don't like selling on ebay because they raised their fee to 15%. I'm going take out an add in a local classifieds paper for a flat rate and the add will run until sold. The paper is free and I know a lot of people around here read them every week.

Charles Wiggins
03-01-2010, 9:16 AM
George,

Like Joe, my CL experience has been much the same as yours, but I have had a lot of good experiences with it as well. Sold several tools, a lot of video games, a TV/DVD combo, a DVD player, and two trucks.

The first thing I do when I get an email from an ad is look at the email address and compare it to the name. If the email user name is blatantly different than the Real Name, it goes in the SPAM folder. Then I look at the text of the email. If it talks about "the item" as opposed to describing the item listed, or if they say "the car" when it's a truck, into the SPAM folder it goes. After a while you get to know the SPAM emails on sight.

If you have a low tolerance for wasting your time on crap leads then I can understand why you would want to abandon using CL.

John alder
03-01-2010, 2:13 PM
Using CL reminds me of asking for a radio check on the old CB radio,but I have bought and sold several things using it you just have to wade tru the tire kickers.Also posting no replies without a phone # is a way to avoid lookers.JMHO

AL Ursich
03-01-2010, 2:24 PM
I mentioned in the new Flame Polisher Thread that it was good to see a new thread not hundreds of posts long that I had bought with the first group and had not opened the box yet as I was so busy in other areas....

Got 3 requests to take it off my hands.... Went back and edited the post that it was not for sale..... Some were thinking they were doing me a favor...

He who dies with the most tools wins....

I bought 2 items from Creek Members a Thickness Sander and a Fein Multi Master for my Brother. Both deals were winners for both of us.:D

With the Fein, the night before I was shopping on line and waited. Next day saw one on the Creek and closed the deal in less than an hour. Even arrived in time for his Birthday.

AL

Larry Frank
03-01-2010, 8:31 PM
I have had similar experience recently with CL. There are the scammers, the guys who want it for nothing and then there are the nice legitimate buyers. It takes some time to sort them out but CL will get some stuff sold. I would try the Creek first and then CL and I avoid EB due to costs and other issues.

Dave Lehnert
03-01-2010, 11:22 PM
I posted something for sale online a while ago and at first I was inundated by spammers/scammers. It tapered off and after one sale to a legitimate buyer all I'm hearing from is the bottom feeders trying to lowball everything. I tell them the price is set and if they think it's too high then buy it somewhere else.
They seem to think that if you are trying to sell something that you are desperate to get it gone. I'm not; and I feel like telling them that the item IS paid for and I don't have to feed it.
Anyone else have a similar experience? I have bought things from online classifieds and never had a problem. I just didn't know selling something could be so annoying.

You should work in retail:D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132981

Dick Strauss
03-02-2010, 4:42 AM
George,
You also see the CL listings asking $1600 for a rusty planer that retails for $1500 brand new. I will sometimes offer what I feel is fair (50-75% of lowest new price depending on condition). If they have stated that their price is firm, I just ignore the listing if I'm not interested at their requested price. If they don't want to sell to me based on my offer, I don't take any offense and they shouldn't either. What I feel is fair based on some flakey pics and a questionable description versus what the seller feels is fair might be two different stories. I know they will either have it for a while and eventually reduce the price or will find someone less informed to buy the used items at full retail price.

Take care,
Dick

George Sanders
03-02-2010, 7:55 AM
Had a guy call me yesterday and bought an item for my asking price without hesitation. I plugged it in and proved that it worked and worked well. He backed his truck in the drive and I loaded it up with a cherry picker.:)
The guy who made the purchase of my first sale item called Monday and said he would buy another item for my asking price and would pick it up Saturday.:)

I think I see a Bosch SCMS in my immediate future! WOOHOO!:D