PDA

View Full Version : Battle Station

Bob Borzelleri
03-01-2010, 1:19 AM
Well, maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but there have been a few times that I turned a goblet stem into shrapnel.

I've spent the past couple of months redoing several aspects of the shop. After building a new dust collector closet, I installed 4 snap lock drops and put in a black iron air system to go along with the extra room in the DC closet for the compressor.

Along the way, I managed to reclaim the shop from the part time storage area it was slowly becoming and built the sharpening station/turning tool rack seen just to the right of the lathe. Also added a torsion box height addition to the grinder stand (which used to be a scroll saw stand).

It looks like one corner of the shop has become Turning Central; a place for everything and everything in its place (at least for now).

It's nice to get things back into some semblance of order.

And yes, those are Girl Scout cookies on the shelf of the sharpening station.

alex carey
03-01-2010, 1:23 AM
those look like the short bread, am I right?

Bob Borzelleri
03-01-2010, 1:26 AM
those look like the short bread, am I right?

Yes. I am seriously impressed!

John Keeton
03-01-2010, 7:27 AM
Bob, I really like your "corner of the world!" Very organized. I didn't see a dust collection drop behind the lathe. I really like having the big hood catching most all the dust, and a lot of the shavings. Of course, most of the heavy stuff goes to the floor, but a lot better breathing. Just a thought.

Eric Kosanovich
03-01-2010, 7:55 AM
Bob this is not good, not good at all and its not allowed you have way to much light and way to much room. Where are all the shavings?
Also i wish i could have a shop like this maybe i could find some of my tools.

Nice job
Eric

Bob Borzelleri
03-01-2010, 8:31 AM
Bob, I really like your "corner of the world!" Very organized. I didn't see a dust collection drop behind the lathe. I really like having the big hood catching most all the dust, and a lot of the shavings. Of course, most of the heavy stuff goes to the floor, but a lot better breathing. Just a thought.

Hi John...

I'm using the drop to the left in the picture. The 4" hose that's coiled in the corner snakes around to the big hood that's obscured by the sharpening station. The hood is mounted to a stand (it's the Woodcraft hood/stand combo) that holds it too high and in the way of the banjo. I have it as low as it will go at the moment. After way too many "thunks" I'm going to figure out a way to shorten the vertical support arm (short of a hack saw and welding it back up). My original plan was to continue the 7" pipe around the corner and drop behind the lathe, but I had a hard time finding another 7" long radius 90 degree elbow and the wall around the window was getting pretty crowded. Not to mention that I just wanted to button the thing up and move on to projects. Now I understand why light rail projects take so long to reach outlying areas.

I have turned the lathe around from having me facing the window in order to get me a bit more out of the path of dust between the lathe and the ceiling air filter that you can just barely see in the very upper left corner of the photo. Will probably turn it a bit more now that I see the angle in the photo. Also helps me not get distracted by wild things staring in the window at me.

Bob this is not good, not good at all and its not allowed you have way to much light and way to much room. Where are all the shavings?
Also i wish i could have a shop like this maybe i could find some of my tools.

Nice job
Eric

Thanks Eric, I guess I'm one of those guys who doesn't like standing in shavings. One of the things I took away from my class with Jimmy Clewes was sweeping up at the end of the day. We'll see how long that lasts.

I built the shop when I retired and then found myself in a second career opportunity that took me away from woodworking pretty much for the next few years. I finally pulled the plug on working and my time is now appropriately divided between wood stuff, practicing music and exercise.

Speaking of lights, the light on the lathe is a Danray with a 100 lb. holding force magnetic base. It's one of the best solutions to lathe lighting needs I have seen.

...Bob

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Bob that looks really nice. Nice looking workshop and girl scout cookies to boot. Don't get any better than that.

Baxter Smith
03-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Nice setup! I need to run an airline to my lathe end of the shop. Always something else needed it seems.:D

Gary Chester
03-01-2010, 4:29 PM
I don't think there are enough cookies there for all of us... :mad:

Looks nice... but too clean, even a few shavings on the floor would be better. :D

A thought on dust collection, ditch the 4" pipe and replace it with 6" all the way to the lathe. I have 6" (without a hood) that mounts right next to the turning when sanding and nothing escapes. I don't even bother trying to catch the shavings.

I sure like the open space you have.

John Keeton
03-01-2010, 4:54 PM
Bob, I have a DC drop in the corner, with the same hood setup from Woodcraft. Seems to work fine with the Delta, but it may not with your Nova.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141241&thumb=1&d=1265635283 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141241&d=1265635283)

When I am hollowing out a bowl and cutting toward the center, the shavings nearly all shoot straight into the hood. On other cuts, the DC gets the dust, but the big stuff goes in the floor, and the stand, and my shoes, and ..... well, you get the picture!

Matt Hutchinson
03-01-2010, 8:43 PM
I dig it! Wish I were that neat and clean. Way to stay on top of the custodial staff. :D

Hutch

P.S. Not that it's a huge concern with your new lathe orientation, but I just imagined a launched turning going through that beautiful and expensive looking window.

Bob Borzelleri
03-01-2010, 9:02 PM
Bob that looks really nice. Nice looking workshop and girl scout cookies to boot. Don't get any better than that.

Thanks Bernie. Only thing that might be an improvement would be a vacuum chuck.:) I've been following your thread.

Nice setup! I need to run an airline to my lathe end of the shop. Always something else needed it seems.:D

Thanks Baxter. If I hadn't decided to build a closet for the cyclone, I might never had the impetus to run the iron pipe for the air. But then, I'm sure I will find another use for the pipe threader.:rolleyes:

I don't think there are enough cookies there for all of us... :mad:

Looks nice... but too clean, even a few shavings on the floor would be better. :D

A thought on dust collection, ditch the 4" pipe and replace it with 6" all the way to the lathe. I have 6" (without a hood) that mounts right next to the turning when sanding and nothing escapes. I don't even bother trying to catch the shavings.

I sure like the open space you have.

Gary, you got me thinking about the 6" run to the lathe. It would sure increase the draw to be staring down at a 6" opening. As it turns out, I have about 35 feet of stiff 6" clear hose, the kind that is rated for dragging down the highway. It was pretty costly when I bought it to run under the shop for floor ducts. After deciding to go overhead, the hose fell out of the mix and now it's just taking up space (as in a lot of space) under the shop. I just might hack off a section and see about using it direct.

Bob, I have a DC drop in the corner, with the same hood setup from Woodcraft. Seems to work fine with the Delta, but it may not with your Nova.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141241&thumb=1&d=1265635283 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141241&d=1265635283)

When I am hollowing out a bowl and cutting toward the center, the shavings nearly all shoot straight into the hood. On other cuts, the DC gets the dust, but the big stuff goes in the floor, and the stand, and my shoes, and ..... well, you get the picture!

John...

It does look like we have pretty much the same arrangement. From your photo, it looks like my banjo is longer and that has been the issue with the hood. I'm constantly banging into the hood as I move the rest. I'm going to give the 6" stiff clear hose a try tonight. I can always use the hood for the SCMS. I sure like your lathe...

...Bob