PDA

View Full Version : A Load of Green Apple

Baxter Smith
03-01-2010, 12:05 AM
When I was in Maine over Christmas, I spotted this old Apple Tree that had uprooted during the fall. Had plenty of other apple that was easier to get to at the time but I didn’t forget about it!

Knew I would be going back this past week but figured I might have to dig a little snow to get it, but I could then drag it out on a toboggan.. More snow in Delaware than in Maine so far this year - so digging wasn’t needed - but it didn’t make it any easier getting it out of the woods.

I would have been a little more careful if I didn’t have two chainsaws!

I built an outboard tool rest a couple of weeks ago to handle the main trunk but by the time I had the top limb cut up I knew the trunk was going to have to wait.

By the time I had carried these pieces out to the edge of the lawn I was sure of it!

Most were 12-14 in diameter and time has taken its toll!:) I didn’t want to split any of it until I’m ready to turn and can study it in detail. I stuck a tape measure around the trunk before I started lugging. Exactly 60 inches in circumference. You can do the math! I will be splitting those unless I want to roll them out of the woods and over a couple of stone walls!

A little plum, cedar, birch and a few wild cherry burls added to the mix should give me enough to play with for the next few weeks!

Nathan Hawkes
03-01-2010, 12:41 AM
:eek: Monster of an apple tree!! I'm very jealous. Apple is gorgeous, and you just can't beat the smell.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Nice wood Baxter, looks like it has a nice color to.
And about 19" D, wow thats a big Apple tree, that should make some beautiful bowls Baxter, hope you have them sealed already, and get them out of the sun, it would be a shame to let that wood get away from you, looking forward to some very interesting turnings :D:D

charlie knighton
03-01-2010, 3:25 AM
you might want to put some blanks in cardboard barrels or boxes, that is great gloat

Norm Zax
03-01-2010, 5:27 AM
Well done and congrats. Always good to return to "the scene of the crime".

John Keeton
03-01-2010, 7:06 AM
Baxter, another great haul!! If you keep getting stuff like this, my suggestion is to buy the big brother to that John Deere so you can haul them out!!

The apple sure looks like it is going to have some beautiful color - really looking forward to seeing some of it turned.

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2010, 7:15 AM
Congrats Baxter! Sure is some beautiful wood! Judging by the size fo whats left - you still have a lot of work ahead of you! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Roland Martin
03-01-2010, 9:18 AM
Baxter, when you come to Maine to take our wood, the ethical thing to do is to call me so I can retrieve my portion of "Lumber Fee". This "Lumber Fee" is in the by-laws, and is a tariff that requires non-residents to fork over a percentage of the harvest to a resident woodturner, happens to be me. The actual percentage due is at my discretion, upon inspection of the harvest. I would assume in this case, that would be, say, 98%.
Where in Maine? Have fun Baxter!!

curtis rosche
03-01-2010, 10:15 AM
be careful with that apple, it is going to split like crazy.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Congrats Baxter. That is some good looking wood. Apple is pretty cracky so get it sealed. That ought to keep you off the streets for a day or two.:eek::D

Baxter Smith
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
:eek: Monster of an apple tree!! I'm very jealous. Apple is gorgeous, and you just can't beat the smell.
Thanks Nathan - Big tree - yes. Nice wood - yes. Smell of a van filled with wet apple for a 600 mile drive - ????:confused::)

Nice wood Baxter, looks like it has a nice color to.
And about 19" D, wow thats a big Apple tree, that should make some beautiful bowls Baxter, hope you have them sealed already, and get them out of the sun, it would be a shame to let that wood get away from you, looking forward to some very interesting turnings :D:D

Thanks Leo - I unloaded them from the trailer into the garage and they were all anchorsealed before I stopped for lunch. :) It started raining that afternoon and barely stopped over the nex few days. No sun until the day I left. The wood I brought back at Christmas I anchorsealed outside and it got snowed on before I put it in my van. It was soaked. Pretty strong smell for a 12 hour ride.:D I wanted to keep this drier but hopefully not too dry. It is now on the concrete floor in my woodshed. Hopefully it will stay cool here for the next couple of weeks!

you might want to put some blanks in cardboard barrels or boxes, that is great gloat
Thanks Charlie - Never thought about cardboard boxes. Might help as well. I am going to try and rough it out as soon as possible.

Well done and congrats. Always good to return to "the scene of the crime".
Thanks Norm - I am already thinking about my next trip or perhaps will wait until next winter. The sap has already started to run up there as it has been so warm.

Baxter, another great haul!! If you keep getting stuff like this, my suggestion is to buy the big brother to that John Deere so you can haul them out!!

The apple sure looks like it is going to have some beautiful color - really looking forward to seeing some of it turned.
Thanks John - I guess - never thought about needing a bigger tractor! Should that come before or after the bigger lathe?:)

Congrats Baxter! Sure is some beautiful wood! Judging by the size fo whats left - you still have a lot of work ahead of you! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!
Thanks Steve - Its fun to cut - but then I feel a certain amount of pressure to get it all turned before it starts to split! Good problem to have I suppose.:)

be careful with that apple, it is going to split like crazy.
Thanks Curtis, some cracks around the pith were already visible as soon as it was cut.

Baxter Smith
03-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Baxter, when you come to Maine to take our wood, the ethical thing to do is to call me so I can retrieve my portion of "Lumber Fee". This "Lumber Fee" is in the by-laws, and is a tariff that requires non-residents to fork over a percentage of the harvest to a resident woodturner, happens to be me. The actual percentage due is at my discretion, upon inspection of the harvest. I would assume in this case, that would be, say, 98%.
Where in Maine? Have fun Baxter!!

Thanks Roland - The lumber fee only applies to those non residents that weren't born and raised there!:) Born in Camden but grew up in Tenants Harbor. Graduated from UMO. It should be fun!

Congrats Baxter. That is some good looking wood. Apple is pretty cracky so get it sealed. That ought to keep you off the streets for a day or two.:eek::D
Thanks Bernie, closer to a week or two if I don't spend too much time here!:D

Gary Chester
03-01-2010, 4:39 PM
Oh my,

You will be so tired of apple in a couple of weeks :(... you better start boxing some of it up and getting it in the mail... you have all our addresses, right?:D

Consider cutting those logs in half thru the pith, it may reduce the splitting.

Have fun with it!!!

Roland Martin
03-01-2010, 9:53 PM
A true Mainer, that makes everything right! Tenants Harbor is a great place. Best of luck with the apple, gorgeous wood.

Brian Effinger
03-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Nice score Baxter. That should keep you busy for a while. And you weren't kidding about the snow. I'm surprised there wasn't more.

Brian Novotny
03-01-2010, 11:19 PM

Seriously, that is a BIG apple tree. congrats.

Baxter Smith
03-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Oh my,

You will be so tired of apple in a couple of weeks :(... you better start boxing some of it up and getting it in the mail... you have all our addresses, right?:D

Consider cutting those logs in half thru the pith, it may reduce the splitting.

Have fun with it!!!
I will see how I feel in a couple of weeks and let you know!:) Roughed out my first bowl tonight. The 13 inch blank wasn't perfectly round so ended up with a 10 inch bowl by the time I had removed all the bark all the way around. The pith is not anywhere near the center in any of the big pieces so will end up with a deep bowl and platter blanks.

Nice score Baxter. That should keep you busy for a while. And you weren't kidding about the snow. I'm surprised there wasn't more.
Thanks Brian, I think they got some today but it has been awhile.

A true Mainer, that makes everything right! Tenants Harbor is a great place. Best of luck with the apple, gorgeous wood.
Thanks Roland. Never thought I would ever live anywhere else but one never knows. I go back whenever I can!

Seriously, that is a BIG apple tree. congrats.
You are right Brian. Not the typical orchard tree of today! Never had an apple that you would have wanted to eat either though!