PDA

View Full Version : cherry burl(s)...and more

Terry Achey
02-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I finally got enough spare time to finish some "works in progress". My BIL was kind enough to harvest some small cherry burls from his cabin so I finished a couple pieces for him as incentive to bring more ;).

The piece with the finial has some Inlace to fill voids and a Mahogony finial. I filled the porous Mahogony with grain filler and then spray laquer. The bowl is danish oil and beal buffed with R-wax topping. The potpourri has the same finish.

Oh, I also had time to finally finish a cherry wine bottle for stoppers, too.

And, there's more! I made a hammer from my neighbors downed Apple limb. I had to maximize my shop time this weekend. :D

I'm extremely impressed (read envious) with how much time some of you guys get to spend at the "wheel". I really, really do need to retire!

Terry

Baxter Smith
02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Very pretty pieces of burl. The stopper holder is pretty neat! Glad you had so much fun this weekend!

Brian Effinger
02-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Beautiful hollow form, Terry. That's the kind of piece that would never leave my house, even as an incentive for more burl.

I really like the stoppers too. What is the reddish wood in the layered stopper?

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Terry - really nice work on everything! Great looking Cherry burl hollow form! Beautiful wood and the color of inlace used is really going to enhance the wood in a couple of years when the Cherry darkens!

Glad to see you were able to get in some shop time! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Ken Glass
02-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Terry,
Great work on everything. I really like the display for the Stoppers, and the Cherry Burl is amazing. Well Done!

Eric Kosanovich
02-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Great job!! I have a question What is the blue stuff? i think i have a project for my lathe i could use this on.

John Keeton
03-01-2010, 7:42 AM
Terry, the mahogany and cherry burl really look nice together. As both age, they sure will take on a beautiful patina and color - nice work!! I still have a bunch of stoppers that need my attention. Perhaps this will encourage me.

The apple made a neat mallet - that would make a nice shop addition for anyone. Nice work all around.

Roland Martin
03-01-2010, 8:58 AM
Very nice work Terry, all the turnings. The mahogany blends in very well with the colors in the burl, nice combination. You had a very productive weekend.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Really nice turnings Terry. I like the bottle stopper stand.

Terry Achey
03-01-2010, 3:40 PM
Thanks for the all the kind words. Now, I need to wait for the next time opportunity for the next "spurt" of production.

Brian - the reddish wood laminated in the yellowheart stopper is Paduk. I also sandwhiched the Paduk with black veneer.

Eric - The "blue stuff" is a product called Inlace. Many on-line sources to purchase....just Google it for a listing. Very easy to use.

Terry

TYLER WOOD
03-01-2010, 3:51 PM
LOVE THE PIECES. Very nice work!

Donny Lawson
03-01-2010, 5:37 PM
I really do like the colors in the burl.I like the hammer too. I made one a few weeks ago just like that but out of Cherry.
Donny

gary Zimmel
03-01-2010, 8:20 PM
Great work Terry.
Those Cherry burls sure have a lot going on in them.

James Combs
03-01-2010, 8:38 PM
Very nice Terry. The stoppers reminded me that I have some ornament hardware stashed some where... Hmmm I wonder what I did with em.

David E Keller
03-01-2010, 9:22 PM
That's a pretty good weekend's work! The burl figure in that hollow form is amazing... I'd have a hard time parting with it.

Great idea for stopper display as well.