PDA

View Full Version : What's the best value in double-locking casters?

Dan Friedrichs
02-28-2010, 9:36 PM
I'm looking to buy a lot of 3" double-locking casters. Who do you think makes a 3" DL caster that's the best value? I've heard good things about the Woodcraft ones, but they're $16/ea! I can't seem to find the Hartville ones that people have recommended in the past. How about the Grizzly ones?

Paul Ryan
02-28-2010, 9:50 PM
I would be interested as well. I can only find 4" double lockers from great lakes and would like shorter. But the casters from great lakes are dirt cheap. But shipping is a little steep.

Dan Friedrichs
02-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Paul, how cheap are they? The cheapest double locking ones I could find from Great Lakes were $10/ea. Not bad, but I'm hoping that someone will tell me that the $5/ea Grizzly ones are "good enough" :)

Anthony Anderson
02-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Woodcraft double locking caster are, IMHO, hands down the best! I have the Hartville, Peachtree, and Woodcraft, double locking, and the Woodcraft are measurably better than the other two. The WCs have a thicker mounting plate than the others, wider wheel than the Peachtree (which looks the same on their website, but are not the same), and there is less than 1 degree movement in the casters, compared to the ~5 degree in the Peachtree and Hartville. I would rank in this order: 1. WoodCraft 2. Hartville, 3. Peachtree. Unfortunately, I bought all three before I discovered this, so I speak from experience.

Hope this helps. Bill

glenn bradley
02-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm hoping that someone will tell me that the $5/ea Grizzly ones are "good enough" :)

Maybe someone will ;). I have not tried the Grizzly casters but I have tried some $6 - $7 ones that were supposed to be pretty good (Hartville?). I eventually gave them away and got some Woodcrafts on sale. They are very good but the price kept going up.

I got some of the Peachtrees when someone did a review and found them to be indistinguishable from the WC's. There were subtle differences between the WC's O had and the PT's but, the next time I was in a Woodcraft . . . low and behold; the same subtle differences. As Anthony found, the casters you get seems to vary with the supplier's shipment, not the retailer (that's just a guess).

At any rate Peachtree caught on and the price shot up to just below the Woodcraft prices. Fortunately I picked up a few at about $7 each. The purpose of this long blather is to tell you that the Peachtree casters I have are quite good and match the Woodcrafts. The downside is that you will have to watch for sales.

Joe Scarfo
02-28-2010, 10:14 PM
i've bought a batch of 3" for about $5 from woodworkers supply in green bay. They're from either shop fox or grizzly. Not sure...

And they're "good enough" for me. they're under my big delta lathe and my old converted bathroom vanity I use from my delta midi lathe.. I think they're a great bargain for the money....

Then again, they're not as nice as the ones from woodcraft.. but they're good enough.

Good Luck
Joe

Tim Null
02-28-2010, 10:17 PM
I was looking for the same. I have used the Hartville in the past, but since talking to them, they are no longer carrying the 3". Something to do with the manufacturer. They will only have 4". The price of the 4" is still better than others 3". 11.99 each I believe.

But the other poster is right, Woodcraft are best. Depends on what you need them for. I have a set of Hartville on an assembly table with a full set of drawers and Woodcraft on my router table. Both work well, the Woodcraft are simply a bit better.

Matt Meiser
02-28-2010, 10:58 PM
I buy them on Ebay from a seller called sescasterco. Great quality and a set is around $40 shipped for 4 of them (for 4"). I realize that's not the cheapest option, but they are really good quality IMHO. They've held up well in my shop and they look nice enough I used them on a mobile island for my parents. There's a photo of one in my Kreg Klamp Table thread.

Dan Friedrichs
02-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies, so far.

Let me try to redirect this just a little: I'm convinced that the Woodcraft ones are the best, but they are also the most expensive. I've tried Harbor Freight's casters, and they are JUNK. What is a good middle-of-the-road, economical caster?

If Woodcraft casters = Festool quality, and Harbor Freight casters = Black and Decker quality, who makes a caster that's "Grizzly quality"? I suspect the answer is probably "Grizzly" :) But I just want to confirm that their casters are up to par with the rest of their better regarded tools.

Leo Vogel
02-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Dan, I bought a set of these from Rockler for about $29.00 for a set of four. I liked them so much I ordered three more sets. I think a really good buy.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11182&filter=casters

Jeremy Brant
03-01-2010, 7:13 AM
I just bought the double locker 3" casters from Great Lakes. They call their double locking feature "total lock". The easiest way to find them is to search for that term in the search block at the top. The part number I used was 12-0312-BPX-S-P01-T at 7.78 apiece. If you join their facebook site there was a discount for free shipping. I just put the casters on the mobile base I built for my pm66 so longevity hasn't been tested, but so far they seem like they'll do the trick.

Jason White
03-01-2010, 7:56 AM
The Woodcraft ones are definitely worth the money, especially when they go on sale -- which is every 2-3 months or so.

Jason

I'm looking to buy a lot of 3" double-locking casters. Who do you think makes a 3" DL caster that's the best value? I've heard good things about the Woodcraft ones, but they're $16/ea! I can't seem to find the Hartville ones that people have recommended in the past. How about the Grizzly ones?

Randy Klein
03-01-2010, 8:05 AM
Woodcraft double locking caster are, IMHO, hands down the best! I have the Hartville, Peachtree, and Woodcraft, double locking, and the Woodcraft are measurably better than the other two. The WCs have a thicker mounting plate than the others, wider wheel than the Peachtree (which looks the same on their website, but are not the same), and there is less than 1 degree movement in the casters, compared to the ~5 degree in the Peachtree and Hartville. I would rank in this order: 1. WoodCraft 2. Hartville, 3. Peachtree. Unfortunately, I bought all three before I discovered this, so I speak from experience.

Hope this helps. Bill

What he said.

Cory Hoehn
03-01-2010, 8:15 AM
I, too, have bought casters from secaster on eBay. I've got 4 sets of them and they're all performing VERY well. I think they match up to the sets from Woodcraft, though I only have one set of those.

Paul Ryan
03-01-2010, 9:41 AM
I had been looking for 3" casters with a threaded rod style. I have some locking type that were the mounting plate type from great lakes. I have those on a mobile base for my mortiser and they work great. I just ordered 4 threaded stem double locker 3" from great lakes for $28 shipped. Free shipping code is FB1.

Dan Friedrichs
03-01-2010, 9:54 AM
Free shipping code is FB1.

Alright, that sold me :) Looking at some prices, I haven't seen the Woodcraft ones on sale recently, and the Grizzly ones are $6.50/ea + shipping, so the Great Lakes ones at $7.78/ea with free shipping are probably the best deal. I bought some.

I see that Great Lakes also has a polyolefin-wheel 3" DL caster for $5.27/ea. Those might also be a good deal...

Matthias Imhof
03-01-2010, 9:55 AM
I appear to have my entire shop on 4" totally locking casters bought from sescasterco on ebay. Good quality, good service, fast shipping and the buy-it-now rebate from bing.

Matthais

Augusto Orosco
03-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I buy them on Ebay from a seller called sescasterco. Great quality and a set is around $40 shipped for 4 of them (for 4"). I realize that's not the cheapest option, but they are really good quality IMHO. They've held up well in my shop and they look nice enough I used them on a mobile island for my parents. There's a photo of one in my Kreg Klamp Table thread.

Their warehouse is just 20 min from where I live. I just show up and buy them on the spot. With no shipping I end up paying about $6 per 4" caster. I recently used them on a plywood storage cart that is currently holding a ton of weight and they are holding up very well. I also have them on my planer stand and they do a great job there.

Mark Saberniak
03-01-2010, 2:13 PM
I have my sawstop professional about 800lbs with the big fence and side table. Most of the weight is on two of the casters on the saw side. this is all sitting on 4 casters from woodcraft for about 3 years now and still have no flat spot anywhere on them. They are the best.

Eddie Darby
03-01-2010, 3:38 PM
I did a project with these casters, and was very happy with them.
If you have the time, then they seem to go on sale at about 3 or so bucks less, every few months.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=3723

Greg Portland
03-01-2010, 4:06 PM
I prefer 5"-6" locking casters. It makes it much easier to wheel around the tool, especially with cracks or debris on the floor. Consider where you are rolling before buying a bunch of small diameter wheels.

Art Mulder
03-01-2010, 4:43 PM
I've heard good things about the Woodcraft ones, but they're $16/ea!

Dan,

About 3-4 years ago I bought a set of 4 double-locking caster's at Woodcraft. They were on sale (don't recall the exact price) but still buying four of them added up, and that was just one machine!

A little while later I came across a sharp idea that cuts the price in half (almost)...

I put just two of the Woodcraft DL casters on one side of the machine, and two basic cheap non-locking non-fixed (ie: they rotate) casters that I picked up at the local Borg on the other side. This works just fine. I've got this arrangement under my 6" jointer and also under the fliptop stand that my planer sits on. With both of these tools I find that I usually only flip down one lock anyway -- that keeps it still enough. If I need it really still, then I flip down both.

...art

Philip Rodriquez
03-01-2010, 4:47 PM
I was just about to suggest greatlakecasters... but you already know about them.:(

Just about anything will roll around on a concrete floor. However, IMHO, I would only use the best if I was going to use them in the house.

Another thought, check out Rockler. They always have coupons! However, if you insist, PM me... I have a 10% coupon for Woodcraft I'll give you.

Jason Hanko
03-01-2010, 9:17 PM
I, too, have bought casters from secaster on eBay. I've got 4 sets of them and they're all performing VERY well. I think they match up to the sets from Woodcraft, though I only have one set of those.
Another vote for these. Good price, and theyre rock solid when locked. They look identical to the woodcraft ones i bought (and then returned 'cus they were twice the price).

lawrence dosson
03-01-2010, 9:34 PM
Dan
i have two sets from hartville and one set from grizzly and im fairly happy with both i would give the heads up to hartville ones only slightly the hartville ones have a slightly bigger step plate to activate and they look slightly more heavy duty they both seem to have a little play when placed on brake but remember what you use them for will make a huge difference i have the grizzly set on a performax drum sander not a lot af wieght one hartville set on a 17 inch general band saw the other set on a 14 inch delta band saw they would not be suitible for some thing that was on rought floors or was extreamly heavy with all wheels locked the band saws are very stable and do not move around and the sander is the same hope this helps LD

Erik Christensen
04-10-2010, 8:37 AM
found this thread looking for recommendations on locking casters -

FYI the woodcraft locking casters are all on sale - I got a set of the 5" for 14$ vs reg price of 20$

Charlie Kocourek
04-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I have used the Woodcraft casters with great success. I also tried some cheaper ones, and they were perfectly adequate. I prefer the Woodcraft ones and usually wait for a sale unless I need them right away.

Rich Aldrich
04-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I bought some of the Grizzly's 4"and put them on my kitchen island. We dont move the island much, but they work well. I think they were only $5-$7. This was in 2003 or so.

James Rey
04-10-2010, 8:02 PM
One more vote for the Woodcraft. I've got 3's 4's and 5's. The 1st set I've had under my toolbench for 3 years with storage that probably weighs 400lbs plus on a plywood cart that probably weighs double that. Not only have the casters kept their roundness, the locking system is as flawless and really well built. Yes they cost more but like mentioned above I only buy them on sale and it's just good piece of mind (don't want that plywood cart tipping over on my foot!:D )

Russell Sansom
04-10-2010, 8:08 PM
I'll second the SEScasters on the internet. You can talk to a person there whose life is casters. One caster does not fit all in my shop, so I appreciate SEScaster's grid of possibilities. Price is ok.

Cary Falk
04-10-2010, 8:53 PM
Alright, that sold me :) Looking at some prices, I haven't seen the Woodcraft ones on sale recently, and the ...

They are on sale right now. I just bought 8 a couple weeks ago.

Frank Stolten
04-11-2010, 3:14 AM
I've gone through the same exercise and bought casters from Woodcraft, Hartville and Grizzly. If you want absolute rigidity in a double-lockiing caster, Woodcraft is definitely the best of the 3. If you can tolerate some play or wobble, than either Hartville or Grizzly might satisfy you.

I did find however, when the woodworking show came through Sacramento, that Peachtree sold the exact same casters for less than Woodcraft's sale price which made them a real bargain. I know they're the same because I bought some and compared them to the ones from Woodcraft. Peachtree's "bargain" price however was only at the show. If you looked at their website the price was the same as Woodcraft. This wasn't a one-time deal, I see them being sold at a greatly reduced price at each woodworking show. Something to keep in mind for the next ww'ing show in Denver.

Steve knight
04-11-2010, 3:49 AM
I can get the same ones woodcraft sells locally and the prices are a bit lower.

Jason White
04-11-2010, 8:18 AM
I've used 3 kinds of double-locking swivel casters.... Woodcraft, Lee Valley, and Hartville Tool.

Woodcraft casters, while expensive, are the best I've used (I even have them under my 500-pound cabinet saw). Virtually bomb proof and lock nice and solid. The urethane tires never get flat spots on them after sitting parked for a long time.

The casters from Lee Valley lock well and glide smoothly, but got flat spots on the rubber tires with my heavier carts & machines after sitting parked for extended periods.

The Hartville ones with urethane tires cost less and work fairly well, but aren't as ruggedly built and the locking mechanisms are a bit flimsy. In fact one of them doesn't even lock anymore -- had to throw it in the trash.

Jason

Pat Meeuwissen
04-11-2010, 6:17 PM
I can get the same ones woodcraft sells locally and the prices are a bit lower.
Steve where are you buying them? And from who? Thanks Pat

Pat Meeuwissen
04-11-2010, 6:25 PM
The big difference I see between the ebay ones and the woodcraft is that the ebay unit has a delrin bearing while the later have ball bearings. I am looking to mobilize several tools and am currently looking at the sale at woodcraft, are there any other folks that have used the two locking and two non locking method? This was the question I was coming to post when I read Art's response.
Philip PM sent.
Thanks much so much, Pat

Steve knight
04-11-2010, 6:50 PM
Steve where are you buying them? And from who? Thanks Pat
winks carries them.

Cary Falk
04-11-2010, 7:03 PM
I am looking to mobilize several tools and am currently looking at the sale at woodcraft, are there any other folks that have used the two locking and two non locking method?

I put 4 locking casters on mine but I usually only lock 2. Two of them are usually burried under the base.

Jim Becker
04-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Personally, I like the ones from Lee Valley and use them both in the shop and on our kitchen island. But they are not "inexpensive" in any way, shape or form...just a good, high quality product I'm willing to pay for.

Matthias Imhof
04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I actually just had the red PU mantle on a caster wheel from Woodcraft crack and split. Now I need to find a new wheel and somehow change the wheel without having to remove a 300lbs tool from its base.

Matthais

Michael MacDonald
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
what is wrong with the HD casters?... named "shepherd hardware", or something like that. I don't know what their highest weight rating is, but I imagine their larger caster go up quite high... I have used some of their 3" and just some 2" for smaller cabinets at about $4... should I be expect them to fall apart in the next week?