PDA

View Full Version : SuperNova2 or Oneway Talon

Chris Lee
11-01-2004, 9:51 AM
Hello everybody,
I am new to turning and new to this board. There seems to be a great deal of knowledge around here so I thought some of you could help me. I am getting a new chuck and need some advive. I have narrowed it down to the Nova2 and the Talon. I have a Jet mini so I wont be turning anything too large. Can anybody give me some thoughts? I have used t he talon and it seems like a nice chuck, but the Nova2 looks to be built real well also, but I have not used it.

Thanks,
Chris

Jack Hogoboom
11-01-2004, 11:01 AM
First off, welcome to the Creek. Lot's of great people here, just beware of the picture police.

I haven't used the Nova, but I have a Talon that I use with my Jet 1442. It works quite well and is large, stable and well built. I'm pleased with my choice. Good luck with yours.

Jack

Steven Wilson
11-01-2004, 5:24 PM
Either are good. I own the Talon and it's larger brother but then I like Oneway stuff.

Ted Shrader
11-01-2004, 7:23 PM
Hi Chris -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

We have the Oneway Talon. Very well built. I like the chuck key format vs tommy bars. You can use one hand to tighten the chuck while holding the work with the other.

The Super Nova 2 has the same chuck key feature. The workmanship on both looks like it will last for a good long while. Comes down to price and personal preference. Can you get your hands on each? You will probably be able to tell which is for you.

Regards,
Ted

Jim Becker
11-01-2004, 8:14 PM
Of the two, I'd choose the Talon. Actually, I own one and have been pleased with it for years. OneWay did a super job with the design of their jaws in that they don't require exact angles on tenons and in recesses and they hold fast. The only thing I'd like on it is a hex-key design rather than the big "chuck key", but that's only a personal preference. The Vicmarc has the key design I like, but the jaws are much harder to deal with than the OneWay.

Jack Diemer
11-01-2004, 9:32 PM
One more vote Talon, best bang for the buck

Chris Lee
11-02-2004, 8:05 AM
Thank You everybody for your warm welcome and your good advice. I am still on the fence. I had a chance to play with my FIL's Talon and liked it, but found the large key cumbersome and also I noticed that if you open the jaws too much they fall out. I think I remember reading that the Nova2 put in a stop to keep that from happening, I could be wrong.

I am going to the Woodworks show this weekend, so hopefully there will be somebody there selling both of them. I know Lee Valley will be there and they sell the Talon, but I don't know if there will be anybody with the Nova. That may be the deciding factor, who has one I can take home this weekend. Hope I see some of you all up there Sunday.
Chris

Jim Becker
11-02-2004, 8:44 AM
My Talon will not open far enough for any jaws to "fall out"! That's an interesting observation. BTW, if you come up to the Woodworks show, I'll be in the Mini Max booth. Stop by and say hello. There will be a number of vendors at the show that sell the Talon...including the manufacturer, OneWay, as well as my friends at Woodworker's Haven.

Chris Lee
11-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Jim,

I will stop by and see ya on Sunday. Maybe there is something wrong with my FIL's. I was going over it the other day, trying to see the action, get a feel for it. I started to turn the key to see how smooth it worked, I got it pretty far open and turned it on it's side and the one of the jaw slaides fell right into my palm. I just kind of looked at it like, was that suppossed to do that. I thought I broke something at first, but got the slides back in pretty easily.

See ya this weekend
Chris

Jim Becker
11-02-2004, 10:30 AM
I believe that the guide pin that is under one of the jaws is supposed to limit the travel as it rides in a stopped slot. Perhaps his jaws are missing that pin...

Anthony Yakonick
11-02-2004, 11:50 PM
I believe that the guide pin that is under one of the jaws is supposed to limit the travel as it rides in a stopped slot. Perhaps his jaws are missing that pin...

Yep, that's it.

Ted Shrader
11-03-2004, 12:37 AM
. . . also I noticed that if you open the jaws too much they fall out. . . . Chris -

My Talon is a recent purchase. It has pins that prevent the jaws from falling out when opened all the way. Perhaps your FIL has an older model???

Regards,
Ted

Steven Wilson
11-03-2004, 9:38 AM
Chris -

My Talon is a recent purchase. It has pins that prevent the jaws from falling out when opened all the way. Perhaps your FIL has an older model???

Regards,
Ted

The pins are ment to be pulled if you want more reach. IIRC the Talon has always had a pin.

Chris Lee
11-03-2004, 9:45 AM
I will check it out next time I am up there. Do you have to do something to engage the pin? Do you remove these pins to change the jaws? Maybe when he put new jaws on he did not do something? I don't know for sure.

Chris