PDA

View Full Version : Installing Formica - Sequence?

Greg Peterson
02-28-2010, 8:54 PM
I've finished making a small outfeed table for my TS. It's made out of plywood, FWIW. I'm familiar with the process of installing formica, but I'm not sure of the sequence.

I need to apply the laminate to the sides (1 3/4") and the top. Do I do the top first, then the sides, or visa-versa? If I apply the top first, do I trim it before or after applying the sides?

Never really gave these steps in particular much thought till I got with in a step of two of needing to do this.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2010, 9:04 PM
Greg,

I don't know what the recommended sequeunce is but...I would do the sides and then the top so the top overlaps the sides. Then I would trim with a flush cutting bit in my router.

Thomas Allan
02-28-2010, 9:07 PM
You would normally do the sides first and trim them flush with a straight-fluted bottom bearing (pattern-type) bit, and then do the top so it overlaps the sides (think water) with a beveled bottom bearing bit (you can use a straight bit here too, but 7 1/2 or 15 degree bevel-bit would be better, so as to ease the edge a little).

Greg Peterson
02-28-2010, 9:08 PM
Thanks Ken, that was my thought as well.

Matt Meiser
02-28-2010, 9:17 PM
My sequence would be hardwood trim the edges, then laminate the top :)

I put some edgebanding on mine because it would look nice and did for a little while. From clamping things to it, etc the bottom edge is all torn up. I suspect laminate would do the same.

Richard Dragin
02-28-2010, 10:14 PM
You can use straight trim bits and ease the edge with a file.

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2010, 10:39 PM
I've always followed the sequence that Thomas put forward.

My next table will be my new outfeed table for the new saw. I'm going to do a shallow torsion box with 1/2" MDF, with some hardwood about 1/4" thick on all the sides, laminate over that, then the top, then use a bevel bit to hit the edges to match the bevel edge on the saw's top, exposing the hardwood, then stain and seal it. Hopefully it will look pretty awesome if I can pull it off. :rolleyes: Jim.

Greg Peterson
02-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate the confirmation.

The table is only 14" x 40", but it is only the first phase of my outfeed table adventure. The first phase is the current table. It folds down out of the way for storage purposes as my shop, like most of us, is a bit on the snug side.

The table is made from 3/4" plywood. For the outside edging I ripped some 1 3/4" strips, then an equal number of 1" strips. I glued the narrow strip to the wider strip leaving a 3/4" channel.

Then I simply mitered these pieces and set the top inside the resulting channel. Everything was glued and tacked together with 16 gauge nails. the bottom edge is wide enough for a clamp to hold onto, the table is light and a good solid substrate for the formica.

Tri Hoang
03-01-2010, 8:00 AM

I put some edgebanding on mine because it would look nice and did for a little while. From clamping things to it, etc the bottom edge is all torn up. I suspect laminate would do the same.

+ better look & softer edges.

Norman Pyles
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM

Yep, that's what I do, and put a 45 degree bevel on the edges.