PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Granite Surface Plate Top for

Fred Bryant
02-28-2010, 8:03 PM
a sharpening bench.

I am new to woodworking in general, and hand tool use in particular. I attended the LN event in Seattle this last Friday and, at least for me, it was a great class. I bought my first real planes ( 62 and 102 ); for me at least, as I bought some for my dad a few years ago. Denib ( sp? --> sorry if you are reading this ) from LN gave a great lessons on sharpening which has been one of my mental hangups.

First project will be a sharpening station, made out of Douglass Fir 2x stock with a granite surface plate as a top. I scored, from a machnist friend, a used surface plate. He indicated that it is out of flat. It has a 0.51 thousands dip in the center. The company can buy a new one cheaper than having it reground, hence if I pick it up, it's mine.

This brings me to my questions:

He indicated that this plate should be good enough for my use. It this correct?

How do I cut the plate ( 24" by 36" by 4" ) to 24" sq?

How do I attach it to a stand? My friend indicated that there is a three point mount on the plate that needs to be used to level the plate to make it flat. Furthermore for my use, he said this is overkill and to use liquid nails.

And finially, how high? I am 5' 6".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx's, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net )

P.S.: I was the one with the broken wrist. I wish I checked here ahead of time, it would have been nice to meet some face to face.

Mark Stutz
02-28-2010, 8:28 PM
Great friend to have. If you mean .0005 out in the middle it's more than good enough. Even .005 would work. You are only using a relatively small area at any one time. Why cut it? Just make your sharpening station a little larger, unless it has to fit in a certain dimension. I would build a cabinet underneath...good storage for sharpening stuff and good support. How much does it weigh? I assume you'll be using some type of "film", ie sandpaper, etc.

Fred Bryant
02-28-2010, 8:33 PM
He indicated that it failed calibration because it was dished by 1/2 thousands. He also indicated that I would need a couple of strong friends ( he though about 400-500 pounds ). I plan on starting with sandpaper, and we will see from there.

Thx's, Fred.

Casey Gooding
02-28-2010, 8:35 PM
I say go for the liquid nails. Although a piece of granite that size should have no problem staying in place all on it's own. The super-machinist level is way overkill for your needs.

jerry nazard
02-28-2010, 8:37 PM
Hello, Fred!

Don't cut it if you don't have to. That 36" length will come in quite useful some day. BTW, good score!

-Jerry

David Gendron
03-01-2010, 12:08 AM
+1 on not cutting it. And just built the stand around it! and check Tom Fidgen "Dedicated Sharpening Bench" It should give you an idea or two.
http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/a-dedicated-sharpening-bench-part-8.html

Steve knight
03-01-2010, 12:19 AM
it does not need anything to hold it in place the weight will do the job. myself i would not cut it if you can get away from it.

Jim Koepke
03-01-2010, 2:29 AM
If you do not have to cut it, you will find a use for the extra length.

Especially if you ever want to lap the sole of a joiner.

half a thousand out is not to worry for working on woodworking tools and sharpening blades.

If you are doing machinist work, you throw it out and start over.

jim

Clint Barden
03-01-2010, 7:29 AM
Yes I would not cut it either.

Just build a really beefy cabinet for it to sit on and you can seat it down into liquid nails or silicon. That is how most granite kitchen counters are installed.

Maurice Ungaro
03-01-2010, 8:47 AM
If, and I do mean a big IF....you have to cut it, use a handheld circular saw equipped with a continuous rim diamond tipped blade. You will want to do this outside and wear a tight fitting respirator as this if the worst dust you can inhale. Go slow with the cutting and make SEVERAL shallow passes.

Safe money is on not cutting it.

James Scheffler
03-01-2010, 11:31 AM
One more thought on not cutting it. If you'll be using sandpaper for sharpening, it's good to have a larger surface so you can lay out several grits at once. You might find 2' x 2' is too small.

Jim

Eddie Darby
03-01-2010, 4:01 PM
If you mount the surface plate in a frame that is out of plane, then the accuracy is out the window because the stone will distort.

It's hard to image a 4" thick piece of granite bending, but it does.

Since the 1/2 thou out is in the middle of the plate, and Scary Sharp only uses a small fraction of a big plate, then it should not be a problem if you work the edges.

Don't cut it as the saying 'bigger is better' is very true when it comes to using surface plates.