PDA

View Full Version : The SawStop has landed

Mike Henderson
02-28-2010, 6:50 PM
Went today and picked up the SawStop I had ordered. It's the professional model. That sucker is HEAVY. They put it in the pickup with a forklift but we had to get it out at my house without one. We took everything out of the box, then took the tailgate off, and slid the saw down, just me and another guy.

Next is to take my old saw out and install this saw with a router wing and outfeed table. So it'll be a few days before it's operational.

Mike

Neil Brooks
02-28-2010, 6:53 PM
BAAAHHHHHH!

GREAT saw!

Don't skip a detail ... pics ... narrative ... thorough review, when you've got 'er up and running.

[Ptooey!]

You, Sir, are gonna' have some big, safe fun!

Richard Gibson
02-28-2010, 6:54 PM
Mike. What kind of router wing are you installing? Custom made or just mounting into the existing extensions?

Dan Friedrichs
02-28-2010, 6:58 PM
When you get it together, I wonder if you could check how the blade alignment changes as you hit the positive angle stops. I think Cliff Holmes said his went out 0.005" when it was set to one of the positive stops. I've experienced that with my contractor saw, but was surprised to hear that it happens on a cabinet saw like this.

Mike Henderson
02-28-2010, 7:02 PM
Mike. What kind of router wing are you installing? Custom made or just mounting into the existing extensions?
Right now, I have a shop made router wing on my existing saw. All I know is that I have to put my router in one wing of the SawStop because of space - but I don't know how I'm going to do it yet. I'll figure out something - I hope!

Mike

Mike Henderson
02-28-2010, 7:05 PM
When you get it together, I wonder if you could check how the blade alignment changes as you hit the positive angle stops. I think Cliff Holmes said his went out 0.005" when it was set to one of the positive stops. I've experienced that with my contractor saw, but was surprised to hear that it happens on a cabinet saw like this.

I'll let you know, Dan. It'll be a while before I able to check that.

Mike

Bruce Page
02-28-2010, 7:43 PM
Congrats Mike!

Richard Gibson
02-28-2010, 7:51 PM
Right now, I have a shop made router wing on my existing saw. All I know is that I have to put my router in one wing of the SawStop because of space - but I don't know how I'm going to do it yet. I'll figure out something - I hope!

Mike

The only reason I was asking is that is exactly what I am doing now with my Sawstop PCS. I just wrote to Quality Grinding today to find a cost since a lot of guys on the forum recommended them. I was surprised to get a reply that they are not doing custom extension wings any longer. Didn't know if you had another source.

Paul Ryan
02-28-2010, 7:56 PM
Mike,

I will be curious to see your router wing as well. I have been thinking more and more about building one for mine. I have a bosch RA1181 that works well. But I get lazy about getting it set up on something and taking up space while it is set up. It would be nice if it was part of the table saw. I go back and forth on this. Maybe I will make one for my table saw and keep the bosch. And keep both in use so I can have both rail and style bits chucked up and ready to go. Instead of having to swap them out. We will be waiting for pictures.

You are going to love the sawstop. My table was out of alignment with the blade by .010 but it is real easy to adjust. I fought with the fence for awhile getting it to slide smoothly but not move before lock down due to slop between the rail and the fence. After a couple of trys and my own adjustment procedure I have it the way I like it now. What saw are you replacing?

Mike Henderson
02-28-2010, 8:44 PM
I have a Craftsman contractor's saw right now, to which I added a Biesemeyer fence. The saw works okay but I'd like the smooth operation of a cabinet saw, and the increased power.

My shop is very small - 10' x 11' - so I have to be very efficient in the use of space. In fact, I have a vise on one wing of my table saw right now and I'll have to move that over, also.

I'm sure I'll figure something out - I have to.

Mike

Tri Hoang
02-28-2010, 8:47 PM
Congrats, Mike. I don't use table saw but if I ever need one, that would be the one I aim for.

Loren Blount
02-28-2010, 9:02 PM
Mike, I am very curios as to your thoughts on the sawstop fence compared to the biesemeyer fence you had on your previous saw. The fence is such a critical part of a table saw that a poorly designed one could be a deal killer for myself buying a sawstop.

Thanks Loren

Joe Mioux
02-28-2010, 9:05 PM
Mike, you will love that saw.

joe

Richard Dragin
02-28-2010, 9:55 PM
Congrats on the new saw Mike.

Brian Effinger
02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Congratulations Mike. That sure looks like a nice saw, and I hope it serves you well.

michael case
02-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Let the good times roll!:)

mreza Salav
02-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Congratulations Mike. A wise move and you'll enjoy it.

Steve Walls
03-01-2010, 1:01 AM

Mike

If you want to keep with the solid/cast iron theme, you should look into the cast iron router table top from Bench Dog, they have one made for an extension wing on a TS. No clue if it'll fit a Sawstop.

Chip Lindley
03-01-2010, 2:26 AM
Contrats Mike! At least the SawStop has 12" wide wings. Getting one milled to receive a router may be the trick!

But, any guy who can afford a brand new SS can certainly afford a few Franklins for machine shop time. Enjoy!

Rod Sheridan
03-01-2010, 8:52 AM
Congratulations Mike, I hope you enjoy your new saw.

Regards, Rod.

george wilson
03-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I NEVER rely on stops to set the blade square,or at ANY angle. I don't trust them to not move a bit.

Don Bullock
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Congratulations Mike! Enjoy.

Mike Henderson
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
But, any guy who can afford a brand new SS can certainly afford a few Franklins for machine shop time. Enjoy!
I stretched so far to buy the SS it'll be a long time before I have a few extra Franklins.:) Even Washingtons.

But I'll figure out something for the router. I just don't have any alternative.

Mike

Joe Leigh
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Congrats on the new saw Mike. Still can't figure out how you'll fit it in that small shop...impressive.

Mike Henderson
03-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Congrats on the new saw Mike. Still can't figure out how you'll fit it in that small shop...impressive.
Thanks, Joe. I have a Craftsman contractor's saw with a 30" (note: not 36") Biesemeyer fence. I'll move the fence over to the SawStop.

My limitation is width of the saw unit so if I keep it to the length of the Biesemeyer fence, I should not have any problems. The depth shouldn't make that much difference.

But, oh, I wish I had more room.

Mike

Victor Robinson
03-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Congrats Mike! I'm debating between the CS and PCS and also have a very very small shop where everything needs to be mobile. Could you comment on the relative size/footprint of the PCS to your craftsmen contractor (which I'm guessing is in the same size ballpark as the SS CS?

Doug Roper Chairmaker
03-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi Mike,
I too would like to congratulate you on the new saw. When I consider performance AND safety, the Saw Stop is the best saw out there.

Mike Henderson
03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Congrats Mike! I'm debating between the CS and PCS and also have a very very small shop where everything needs to be mobile. Could you comment on the relative size/footprint of the PCS to your craftsmen contractor (which I'm guessing is in the same size ballpark as the SS CS?
My Craftsman contractor's saw is 20" wide and 27" deep on top. The base (splayed legs) is about 28" deep and 25" wide. My 30" Biesemeyer fence is 64" long (total) which limits the length of the wings (that's about all the room I have - if any wider, I wouldn't be able to get around past the saw. I'll post a picture if you want me to.).

The SawStop is 20" wide and 27" deep without the wings. The base is about the same, except for the motor bubble on the side (which will be under the one wing).

So I think I'll be able to fit the SawStop in about the same room as the contractor's saw. It'll depend on what I do with the wings because I want to put my router in the right (as facing) wing of the saw.

Mike

Mike Henderson
03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm going to document what I do to set up my SawStop on my web site at this page (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/SawStop_setup.htm). Those of you who are interested in following my progress, especially to see what I do about putting a router in one wing, can check now and again to see what I come up with.

This way, I'm not posting here on the forum and causing "new posts" for those people not interested.

Mike

Mike Archambeau
03-02-2010, 9:25 AM
Whoa Mike! Just checked out you web site. That is some serious woodworking that you have done. Congrats on the new saw. Looking forward to seeing more of your outstanding work.

Michael MacDonald
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
congrats... I am jealous... oh wait, I have one too.

(though just a contractor saw... sigh, blush)

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-02-2010, 3:21 PM
Congrats on the saw Mike!! I'll be following your 'setup' posts....

mreza Salav
03-02-2010, 4:35 PM
Beautiful stuff you make Mike (checked your site). Well done!