PDA

View Full Version : ridgid drill press questions???

Tom Hildebrand
02-28-2010, 5:24 PM
Is a mint condition Ridgid drill press DP1500 any different than the 1550? Is it worth 150.00 considering the clearances at HD. Which haven't hit my area by the way.
thanks

Neil Brooks
02-28-2010, 6:51 PM
If your post weren't slipping low, I wouldn't chime in ... largely because my info is purely 2nd hand.

But ...

1) http://www.asktooltalk.com/reviews/stationary/ridgid-drill-press.php

2) My brother is a former TTI guy (Ridgid, and a few other brands). If I'm not mistaken, he has both models, and a bench-top model or two.

He loves each and every one of them.

My experience with Ridgid tools has been uniformly excellent. I have a belt sander, oscillating spindle sander, planer, jointer/planer, and ... one or two others.

The price? I know even less about that.

Hope the above helps ... if only a little.

Thomas Williams
02-28-2010, 7:27 PM
Yes there are some subtle differences between the 2 models. The 1500 is the older model, which I have. I paid under 100 for mine which was the floor model at the local HD. Was a little rough and missing chuck key, tools and manual. If I were in the market for a drill press, I would consider 150 for a mint DP1500, of course you could always negotiate.

John Thompson
02-28-2010, 8:17 PM
I've been using a 1550 for around 7-8 years.. Is it worth $150 mint? Yeah.. it is worth $300 mint for that matter. Good chuck.. sufficient table but you need to make one larger for WW'ing as most DP's.. good run-out.. sufficient quill travel.. very easy belt change for speeds.. a good machine from top to bottom. The lid is easy to open and stays up also. :)

Not one problem with mine and I am in the shop 5-6 days a week since retirement. BTW.. the motor HP is fine as DP's are finesse machines and don't require a lot of HP unless you run large fly cutters. And it you are smart IMO.. you shold avoid them on a DP to start with..

Hope that helps..