PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Laser Lens?

Rikard Strand
02-28-2010, 4:06 PM
I'm about to buy a cutting lens for my GCC LaserPro Mercury 30w laser.

Need tips about resellers.

Dave Johnson29
02-28-2010, 5:37 PM
I'm about to buy a cutting lens for my GCC LaserPro Mercury 30w laser.

Do you want the bare lens or one mounted in the GCC lens mount? For bare lenses, good prices and service I have used Laser Research for about 10 years.

www dot laserresearch dot net/

You will need to register to see prices but it is free. Just a happy customer, no other connection.

Viktor Voroncov
03-01-2010, 1:59 AM
Hi, Rikard,
Are you from Scandinavia?

Zsolt Paul
03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I bought from laser research and I was very happy and much cheaper than through manufacturer.

Rikard Strand
03-01-2010, 1:35 PM
Hi, Rikard,
Are you from Scandinavia?

US and Scandinavia.

Rikard Strand
03-01-2010, 1:38 PM
Do you want the bare lens or one mounted in the GCC lens mount? For bare lenses, good prices and service I have used Laser Research for about 10 years.

www dot laserresearch dot net/

You will need to register to see prices but it is free. Just a happy customer, no other connection.

One mounted in the GCC lens mount. Is it easy/possible to replace a mounted lens?

Dave Johnson29
03-01-2010, 3:57 PM
Is it easy/possible to replace a mounted lens?

Hi Rikard,

That depends on the laser manufacturer's design. Usually replacing just the lens is very easy as they have a plastic washer, the lens, another plastic washer and a screw-in-ring to hold the lens in.

It's a simple matter to unscrew the ring, drop the lens and washers out and replace them all in the reverse order. When installing the new lens, the ring does not need to be very tight. Just tight enough to hold the washers against the lens and holder. Overtightening may crush the lens.

The lens holder on my ULS is a square block with 4 small screws at the corners. I undo the screws and there is the familiar plastic washer, lens and plastic washer.

If you do change your own lens in the carrier, be careful to note which way the flat side and the curved side of the lens is positioned. The curve may not be easily visible but if you use a lens tissue and hold the lens between finger and thumb and rub gently you will feel the curved side. Just install the new lens the same way up.

Ken Liversidge
03-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Go here....Choose your laser and purchase your lens. So much cheaper than buying from your laser manufacturer

http://www.laserresearch.net/laser_engravers.asp

Richard Rumancik
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
The Mercury uses a pretty simple holder - no fasteners to hold the lens - (unfortunately) - it probably is glued in. If the old lens is completely destroyed it could likely be broken out but the new lens would have to be exact size.

Ken - good tip on laserresearch - but for Rikard they don't have any mounted lenses, just loose lenses. And I did not see Mercury although for loose lenses it is pretty flexible.

Rikard - if you are on a budget like most of us you might be able to get a model-maker/hobbyist to make you some lens holders from aluminum and mount your own lenses from laserresearch or eBay.

I made some holders from acrylic and they work okay for me. (Used the laser to cut the shape/hole, trepanned the recess for the lens, used two 2mm screws and plastic washers to hold the lens in.) A small mill would be more suitable though for making these. It's a tradeoff between money and time.

The upper and lower carriage slots on the Mercury have different profiles to prevent you from inadvertently inserting the lens in the wrong place. You need to decide which slot you will be using. The lower slot will give you more workpiece clearance.

If you make your own mounts you may need to make your own focus probe (Round pin and a collar/setscrew. Adjust collar position to fix the length by trial and error.)

Killor Perez
04-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Hello Richard.
I have the same Laser machine.LAserPro Mercury L-30
Last year I bought a Lens 4 " with aluminum frame (199$) to OEM OPTICS,
(Everything perfect)
Now also sells on ebay.
This is item number 280479391037
Good luck