PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Wall Clock

William Hutchinson
02-28-2010, 3:47 PM
Just finished this clock project. The spalted back is book-matched shop made veneer on plywood backing. The rest of the clock is maple with just a hint of figure.

The finish is honey maple dye, oil, varnish, glaze and top coated with gloss lacquer, that was knocked down with a 1500 grit scuff pad and waxed.

The recipients last name and year was placed on the paper face. The door rails are three different sizes, I was attempting to give the clock more visual weight on the bottom.

I don't know any woodworkers close by, so critiques are encouraged. Thanks for looking.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Spalted%20Maple%20Wall%20Clock/clockcasemockup.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Spalted%20Maple%20Wall%20Clock/SpaltedMapleWallClockfinishedopendo.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Spalted%20Maple%20Wall%20Clock/SpaltedMapleWallClockfinished.jpg

Dan Forman
02-28-2010, 4:31 PM
Very nice! Like the way the spalting not only corresponds to the pendulum swing, but also points to the clock face. Great design.

Dan

Mike McCann
02-28-2010, 4:46 PM
very nice i really like the splated maple as the back ground for the pendulum.

Terry Hatfield
02-28-2010, 5:22 PM
Super!!! The splated back panel really makes a nice statement.

t

gary Zimmel
02-28-2010, 6:57 PM
Nice work on the wall clock William.
That back really sets everything off nicely.

Norman Pyles
02-28-2010, 7:01 PM
Very nice!!!!!!

John Thompson
02-28-2010, 8:03 PM
Excellent job William... the finish really did come out well on this piece as i love the colors...

Well done...

BTW.. where are ya in Eastern Tennessee as that covers a lot of ground tween Copper Hill an Tri-City? Just curious as I love the country in E. Tn.

John Keeton
02-28-2010, 9:09 PM
William, I love the wood, and you made a wise choice on the door rails/stiles - looks good and did accomplish your goal of some weight.

Others have commented on the back, and I agree that is a real eye catching feature. Well done!!

William Hutchinson
02-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks all I appreciate the comments. I know this isn't difficult woodworking, but I try something new with each project. This was a finishing lesson with my first attempt using dyes and glazes.

I learned another lesson, don't show anything to family members-- not unless you want to make another or two.

John T, I'm in the "Friendly City" of Athens - tween Chattanooga and Knoxville.

Jimmy Williams
03-01-2010, 7:29 AM
I'm generally not a fan of spalted maple, but your clock has me rethinking things. I agree with everything that has already been mentioned about the back. It really takes this clock to a whole 'nother level.

Great job

William Hutchinson
03-04-2010, 7:19 AM
The finish is honey maple dye, oil, varnish, glaze and top coated with gloss lacquer, that was knocked down with a 1500 grit scuff pad and waxed.

Too late for an edit, but I wanted to correct the finish info. I used shellac as a seal coat, not varnish.

Van Huskey
03-06-2010, 1:58 AM
I love spalted wood. I loved it even more when I understood it. Very nice clock.

Tony Shea
03-06-2010, 9:43 PM
Great design with the use of that spalted peice. It really takes your eyes in the right directions when look at the clock. Very creative. I like the way the finish came out as well. All around great job.