PDA

View Full Version : Gloat - Mama Bear & Baby Bear

James Combs
02-28-2010, 2:17 PM
For the price of Papa Bear (Rikon 18" BS) I picked up both Mama Bear (Rikon 14" BS) and Baby Bear (Rikon 10" BS).:D That's the good news. The bad news is even though I got both of them on sale my income tax refund is wiped out.:(

Why two band saws you ask? My plans are to keep a 1/8 inch fine blade in the 10" and a resaw bade in the 14". Really hate changing blades in the middle of a project.:rolleyes:

Stephen Edwards
02-28-2010, 4:25 PM
Sounds like a good choice to me. Enjoy your new "Bears"!

Tony Shea
02-28-2010, 4:48 PM
Great new setup and a heck of a way to spend that tax return! I would never ask why 2 bandsaws especially of different sizes. But i'm sure you'll still need to change blades more than you expect. The more the merrier and having two bandsaws is def economical.

Tom Godley
02-28-2010, 5:45 PM
What's a tax return ?? ........ :('

Neil Brooks
02-28-2010, 6:08 PM
Why two band saws you ask?

Really ... that question NEVER entered my mind :)

Rikon's got a heck of a good reputation. I guess you've doubled your chances to prove that.

Smart buys. Cool toys. Nice choice on two-instead-of-one.

Congrats, in other words!

James Combs
02-28-2010, 8:23 PM
I really couldn't pass up the 10" at Christmas Woodcraft had it on sale at $199 from a regular $279. I serve my purposes until I could get the bigger one.:)

Really ... that question NEVER entered my mind :)

Rikon's got a heck of a good reputation. I guess you've doubled your chances to prove that.

Smart buys. Cool toys. Nice choice on two-instead-of-one.

Congrats, in other words!

James Combs
02-28-2010, 8:25 PM
I doubt that I will know anymore. This year is from the last year That I worked before retiring. So far this year I haven't had any withholding so I will likely in up paying next year.:(

What's a tax return ?? ........ :('

David Christopher
02-28-2010, 8:33 PM
James, Ive got the 14" and have thought about buying the 10".......if it is as good as the 14 you will be very happy.....also give us a review on the 10

James Combs
02-28-2010, 8:52 PM
I really haven't owned the 10" long enough (2 months) to say definitively that it is a great saw or not, however, it is built very similar to the 14" just scaled down. I runs very quite and smooth, more so actually then the 14". Neither of them came with a decent blade. I will be replacing the blades at the firs sign of wear or problems. As a matter of fact most of the noise and the biggest problem with the 14" is the blade whipping fore and aft and banging (sounds like scratching) against the rear guide bearings.:( One thing is for sure these suckers are heavy:eek:

James, Ive got the 14" and have thought about buying the 10".......if it is as good as the 14 you will be very happy.....also give us a review on the 10

Van Huskey
02-28-2010, 10:18 PM
I doubt that I will know anymore. This year is from the last year That I worked before retiring. So far this year I haven't had any withholding so I will likely in up paying next year.:(

Always remember from a financial point of view paying in April is GOOD not bad (as long as there are no penalties or interest)!

Don Morris
03-01-2010, 2:40 AM
Let me be the first to say YOU SUCK! Also, you just reminded me I have to do taxes. That's a double you suck. They look cute together too. Also, you're just plain lazy. My shop is too small for such a deal...Darn. Enjoy!

Ken Massingale
03-01-2010, 6:49 AM
I really haven't owned the 10" long enough (2 months) to say definitively that it is a great saw or not, however, it is built very similar to the 14" just scaled down. I runs very quite and smooth, more so actually then the 14". Neither of them came with a decent blade. I will be replacing the blades at the firs sign of wear or problems. As a matter of fact most of the noise and the biggest problem with the 14" is the blade whipping fore and aft and banging (sounds like scratching) against the rear guide bearings.:( One thing is for sure these suckers are heavy:eek:
James,
Sounds like the blade is 'wobbling' on the lower wheel. Here (http://www.rikontools.com/lowerwheeladjustments.pdf) is a Rikon bulletin on taking care of it. It's at the bottom, last item.

James Combs
03-02-2010, 9:10 AM
Just trying to focus on making sawdust not working on the equipment that makes it.:D

Let me be the first to say YOU SUCK! Also, you just reminded me I have to do taxes. That's a double you suck. They look cute together too. Also, you're just plain lazy. My shop is too small for such a deal...Darn. Enjoy!

Darrin Davis
03-02-2010, 2:33 PM
Same way here. I have to band saws (1 resaw and 1 fine). My dream is to have 3 table saw. 1 with 1 blade - 1 with 2 blades for 1/4 drawer bottoms and one with 6 blades for 3/4 inch dados.

What can I say.......my dream is pure efficiency (fancy word for lazy) in the woodshop.

Brian Tymchak
03-02-2010, 3:06 PM
It's sad, really, to think about yet another split family. I think you should really try to get Papa Bear to move in as well. ;)

Wes Grass
03-02-2010, 4:19 PM
Aside from saving blade changes, I'd have the small one jacked up so I don't have to bend over to see what I'm doing.

glenn bradley
03-02-2010, 4:22 PM
You will be a happy man. I foolishly sold my 12" when I bought my 17". Soon after realizing my error I came across a 1970's 10" Rockwell/Delta that has filled the gap. If not for the deal on the used machine I would have probably bought a new 10" or 12" to replace the one I prematurely sold.

James Combs
03-02-2010, 6:43 PM
Agree 100%, that's why it is on a Lowes Kobalt stand rather then the one that Rikon makes for it. Note in the photo that the 10's work surface is actually higher then the 14s. I am actually thinking about putting a 5"-6" plant form under the 14".

Aside from saving blade changes, I'd have the small one jacked up so I don't have to bend over to see what I'm doing.

Mike Wilkins
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
I have the same smaller Rikon. Got it to compliment my LT18 Laguna. Great to use for small stuff. You will like it.