PDA

View Full Version : Pics of some wild ash

Mark Bolton
02-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Working my way through a pile of rough lumber that has been in my way for quite some time. Just straight lining it and rough surfacing to put it back on the racks. Hit a batch of wild ash and thought I would throw out some pics. Doesnt show up as clearly in the cell phone pics but the stuff is pretty wild straight off the planer.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S4qpdCKQDlI/AAAAAAAAAak/XzK1UUu6koQ/s640/IMG_0431.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S4qpjMMpNZI/AAAAAAAAAao/xj7AiRN9RWw/s640/IMG_0432.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S4qpp2Otd6I/AAAAAAAAAas/JiLQaQpCSOE/s640/IMG_0433.JPG

Glen Butler
02-28-2010, 2:35 PM
Thats the best looking ash I have ever seen. I like wild wood and grain patterns. Thanks for posting.

Mark Bolton
02-28-2010, 2:54 PM
Me too. This was some KD rough stuff I got as a part of a bigger order. The price was right so I got a couple hundred feet of a lot of stuff I normally wouldnt buy. It will be good inventory for the shop but I think I might make some shop cabinets/drawers out of this stuff.

Mark

Karl Card
02-28-2010, 5:48 PM
this thread kills me... every time i saw the title i had to read twice because I thought it was getting x rated... but all in all that ash would make a nice center......fold in a good wood magazine..lol
very nice grain

Gary Herrmann
02-28-2010, 6:28 PM
Nice Ash!!

Chip Lindley
02-28-2010, 6:37 PM
Geez Karl! Get your mind outta the gutter! Don't make an ASH of yourself in a seriousl woodworking forum! *eyerollz*

Mark Bolton
02-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Geez Karl! Get your mind outta the gutter! Don't make an ASH of yourself in a seriousl woodworking forum! *eyerollz*

I guess Karl's "got wood" on the brain....

Mark

keith micinski
02-28-2010, 10:18 PM
That stuff is great don't please don't waste it on shop drawers.

Mark Bolton
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
That stuff is great don't please don't waste it on shop drawers.

Hehe, well, we are in the process of adding a showroom to our shop. In addition to the showroom we are making the shop itself part of the showroom. This will allow us to have examples of all sorts of work, woods, finishes, and so on throughout our business for customers to look at while giving us very nice shop cabinets and storage. These items will serve double duty.

I have taken an oath to suffer in the shop with any current shelving, storage, cabinets, drawer units, etc. that I want to change until I replace them with a, well, replacement. These replacements will be a finished piece of furniture.

So the material wont be wasted.

Mark

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
this thread kills me... every time i saw the title i had to read twice because I thought it was getting x rated... but all in all that ash would make a nice center......fold in a good wood magazine..lol
very nice grain

We have a local mom and pop hardwood shop here called Barney Robinson's Hardwood. Their slogan is "Best Ash In Town!" ;) Jim.

Norman Pyles
02-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Those are some wild ash boards you have there.