PDA

View Full Version : Delta 14" BS Rehab - Question

Kent A Bathurst
02-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I am going through a variety of rehab-upgrade items on my 10 yr old Delta 14" BS - 1 hp, enclosed stand. Light use over that time, but I'll be using it more (upgrade includes riser block), including resawing which I have not done in the past.

The big sin - I did not, as a rule, release the blade tension. I know, I know, I know.........Promise Ima gonna change my ways when I'm done with the rehab - got items that will make it easy to do quickly and accurately.

HOWEVER: My Question:

The upper wheel shaft "rattles" in the alignment hinge - at the "far end" of the shaft, the travel is about 1/16" up/down. (The hinge itself is not distorted - it is laying flat against the sliding bracket's face.) Is this shaft looseness/travel normal? If not, is this acceptable? Should I replace the shaft or shaft/hinge assembly?

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for not releasing the tension, as long as you also answer my actual question.......;)

Thanks....Kent

Myk Rian
02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
The shaft should be tight. I assume you mean this part.
http://www.sawcenter.com/hingekit.jpg
I don't release the tension either.

Kent A Bathurst
02-28-2010, 1:23 PM
Myk - yep - that's the rascal.

Pete Bradley
02-28-2010, 3:45 PM
Releasing the tension is not necessary.

Delta 14s often have some slop when there's not a band on the machine.

Pete

Chip Lindley
02-28-2010, 6:28 PM
Not releasing tension may give you a *flat tire* but should have no effect on metal parts.

My 20-year-old Delta (28-243) had so much vibration that one more rattle would not be noticed. Adding a Fenner Power Twist belt worked wonders. I blame the rest on inaccurate, aluminum wheels. Cast Iron might cure that! Each machine has it's own point of resonance! All I can do to further lessen vibration is slow down the speed a bit. A 2.5" motor pulley, rather than the factory 2.75". Gives about 2550 SFM.

Kent A Bathurst
02-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Pete + Chip -

thanks for the insight. Maybe I'll just finish up the rehab/upgrade and see how she runs. The shaft/hinge replacement can always be done later if it ain't working out.

Kent

Joseph Tarantino
02-28-2010, 11:06 PM
kent...have you spoken to the folks at iturra design? they don't have a website but can be reached at:

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_l6b7r

lou iturra is extremely familiar with, and knowledgeable about, delta 14" band saws. checking with him before commencing a rebuild could save you some mis-spent effort and expense. in my few dealings with lou, he has been extremely informative about what to do to address a problem and only offers a product suggestion when the product would really help whatever the particular condition or problem is. and he really knows how to weld a band saw blade. just a suggestion. he's really helped me in the past on a jet 18".

Kent A Bathurst
03-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Joseph - thanks -

"rebuild" might have been a bit too strong of a word. Its really just a collection of upgrades - coil spring, a crank-style tension handle, cool blocks, tires, riser block (great deal on a kit from a fellow Creeker), Kreg fence, dust port(s), and - the neat item - I got a terriffic deal from a fellow Creeker on a NIB Carter digital tensioning gauge. I think that's the list. Plus clean-clean-clean-lube-lube-lube. This sucker is more disassembled right now than it has ever been since it left the factory. Hoping to have no bolts left over when I put it back together:eek:

And yes - by the time all of that stuff is in place, it was/woulda been worthwhile considering selling the cast-arn C-frame and getting an actual modern steel-frame resaw.....but there just isn't room, and I'm not an over-the-top resaw guy. I did think about it for a few minutes, though. If/when I ever move, I'll be sure to have enough room for another saw, and then I can search SMC back threads and spend a week reading all the bandsaw comparison back-and-forth.

george wilson
03-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I never release the tension on my 14" Delta,which I bought USED in about 1964.

The reason I don't is that my wife uses it to cut sheets of lexan. She would never remember the blade was slack,and would make a mess of the saw.

Nothing on the saw has suffered from not releasing the tension. It even still has the original tires!

Bob Borzelleri
03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
I stopped releasing the tension when I began to realize that I have only so many preventative actions left in me and that releasing the tension on the bandsaw won't keep rust out of the compressor tank.:rolleyes:

Marty Paulus
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
My delta has the release lever on it already. Only takes a second once the saw is unplugged to move the lever back and use it to hang the power cord on it (which serves as a reminder that the blade is detensioned so don't start the saw!).