PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
11-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. No shop time for me as I am oncall this weekend and coming week. Storms blew through early this morning and dumped a bunch of rain. Cooler temps on the way I hope!!! ;)

So what did you do this weekend?

Best of weeks.....

Jack Hogoboom
11-01-2004, 1:49 AM
No shop time. Soccer tournaments and Halloween with my 4 kids. Another fight with my ex-wife. Carved a pumpkin yesterday afternoon. Kept wondering if I could hollow it out on the lathe. Serionsly considered using my Dremel to carve it. "You might be a woodworker if...you mount your pumpkin on a lathe to round it off."

Jack

Dave Wright #2
11-01-2004, 7:10 AM
I carved a couple pumpkins with the Dremel a few years ago. It worked well but was a mess. Fun experiment. I didn't know if splatter might get sucked into the motor.

I got in a few workshop hours. The ends for a couple bookcases (Christmas presents for my parents) are now complete with full width dados for shelves and stopped dados for back frame members and the toe pieces. Nice mix of work at the table saw, with the router, and quietly finishing up with a chisel.

A good workweek to all.

Matt Meiser
11-01-2004, 7:53 AM
I worked on my bench some on Saturday (see my other post.) I spent the rest of the day cleaning up the unheated portion of my shop and building shelving back there. I also put a huge tarp down on the dirt floor to try to keep the moisture down in the spring--this past spring I had to run the dehumidifier constantly. Next year I plan to dig out couple inches dirt, put down a vapor barrier followed by some gravel. Sunday went grocery shopping with my family before spending several hours in the shop. Sunday evening we took my daughter trick-or-treating to various family member's homes.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-01-2004, 7:53 AM
I got the shop cleaned up...made a huge pile of lumber outside the shop to take to the dump...mostly scraps I thought I might use in the future. Nothing really good, lots of pine and cheap HD Birch ply scraps. I am trying to gear up to removing the current shelving system so I can get the sheetrock out of the shop. Time to wire in a few more 110 outlets and 3 new 220's.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2004, 8:24 AM
Saturday.....I worked at "the job". Sunday with the help of a neighbor I put a brace on the electrical mast for my new shop and physically nailed most of the outlet boxes in the new shop. Need to get more boxes.....then break out the "nail eater" and starting drilling and wiring.

Jim Becker
11-01-2004, 8:38 AM
As posted in another thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=112771#post112771), I got the remaining assembly work done on the armoire project as well as some of the dye work that needed to be done before working with the glue bottle. Now, it's largely finishing work to reach completion. I'll be trying to get some "auxiliary" time in the shop over the next few weeks to deal with that as my weekends have some "other diversions" planned. (This coming weekend I'll be helping out in the Mini Max booth at the Woodworks 2004 (http://www.woodworksevents.com/)show in Ft Washington, PA)

I also got two shutters repainted and reinstalled outside the MBR window that was recently replaced, changed out some burned-out floods in the outdoor wiring and catered to the birdies every needs since Dr. SWMBO is at a conference in Beantown. They were quite insistant on the attention!

Kurt Aebi
11-01-2004, 9:08 AM
More work on the living room remodel.

Friday; LOML took the day off and insulated the outside walls.

Saturday; Ran the new wiring for the Outlets, Lights/Fans, TV and phone and ordered another Buderus Radiator (2' x 4' x 4" thick) for the back wall of the room.

Sunday; Added a 4" x 4" hardwood post for supporting the oll doutside wall before cutting the small portion of exposed wall flush to the ceiling.

THEN WATCHED MY STEELERS END THE PATRIOT'S WINNING STREAK!!!!!!

Dan Mages
11-01-2004, 9:44 AM
Little to nothing. There were 40 mph winds blowing through the chicago area over the weekend. That nixed any chance of me finishing the roof of my backyard cottage or doing any painting on the trim or siding. On Sunday I was not able to find any help with the roofing work, so I only got 3 rows of the cedar shingles done. The rest will be done (I hope) this weekend with me crawling on the roof (gulp). I hope I get this done before the snow starts to fall.

Dan

Tyler Howell
11-01-2004, 9:47 AM
Great weekend, started to clean and fettle my new antique store treasures.:cool:

I went for the first time to a small traditional tool dealer looking for a knurled adj. knob to my Stanley Handyman. Found what I needed, swapped some WW tails and gossip about mutual acquaintances. Went back the next day with my #7 in hand hoping to find a replacement tote. I must have spent an hour and a half in this tiny shop BSing with proprietor of Beaumont's Quality Tools and his guests about traditional tools and WW. We dissected my 1890s #7 and he showed me a number of the features, details and miner mods to improve fit and function of this old work horse. Passed SMC web address around to a number of the WWs there. Maybe we'll get a few more MN Creekers signed on.

Beau gave me an honest assesment of my old Cman TS and jointer, consistent with what I had already deduced.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12454 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12454)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12457 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12457)

I moved the TS back to the shop and set it up for a dedicated Dado/router/work table. The jointer is now my new 300lb. lapping plate. Maybe some school or charitable group will take it them. We'll see.

Met friends at church and then out to breakfast with more friends.

Life is good.

John Miliunas
11-01-2004, 9:50 AM
LOML talked me into going to a "warehouse" sale for a cabinet maker in a nearby town. Got there too late for anything really interesting, but did score a whole bunch of custom cabinet handles for about $0.75 each and a commercial paint drying rack (vertical with "wings" coming out the sides), like the kind you'd use for cabinet doors/frames for $20.00! Don't know what they cost new, but I'm sure it's more than a twenty-spot! Stopped at the Habitat for Humanity "Restore" on the way back and scored a pile of new 20" drawer slides for two bucks a pop. :)

Sunday I framed out the built-in salt & pepper shaker display for LOML. Had a bunch of double-strength glass laying around and decided to see if I could cut it to size myself for shelves. Tougher than regular single-strength, but worked! Watched the ball game and just generally chilled, trying to "comfort" a real sore tooth. :( Hope everyone has a great week! :) :cool:

Scott Coffelt
11-01-2004, 10:07 AM
I got an early start to the weekend by taking Friday afternoon off. Spent that time meeting with the city on my future house build, tried to meet with the sanitation guy, but he left early too. Found some Jute webbing for the chair. Watched two movies Friday Night (1) Man on Fire... very good (2) White Chicks .... stupidly funny.

Some of that fall outdoor yard work on Saturday morning, mowing and sucking up leaves.

Since I got the OK on the finish for the Morris chair, I got it finished sanded and coated with two coats of Danish Oil - Dark Walnut. Looking really nice. Strung up the jute webbing, padding and cover on the seat frame.

I also began working on a fireplace mantel for a client. Going great until I realized that the new Delta Twin Laser CMS was not cutting perfect 45's, so off to the couch with the manual.

Sunday spent a good part of the day ripping out bad window trim and seal and replacing with Never Rot material. Got a good caulking and sealing done and ready for a fresh coat of paint. I double window down and several to go. Watched a little football, golf and racing all at the same time... go Jimmy Johnson, Chiefs and whoever is playing golf...

Sunday night --- Trick r' treating with my son, in the rain.

Ahhh, Monday.

Lou Morrissette
11-01-2004, 10:22 AM
On Saturday I put the finish coat of Drylok on the shop walls.That stuff is nasty!:eek: Sunday am was framing time finally. Got two walls framed and ready for running wire. Watched the Pats take a licking in the afternoon. Being in a new neighborhood, we bought lots of treats in anticipation of the onslaught of gremlins that would soon be at the door. We got 9 kids!:( Oh well, anybody want some candy?:D

have a great week
Lou

Jon Olson
11-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Saturday: Hanging with my daughter as the LOML had class all day. Afternoon-San Mateo woodworking Show (My daughter was tried so we mostly wandered up and down the rows). Bought some T-track from Rockler, nothing really else. I'm gonna get that Kreg poclet hole jig next year, for the kitchen remodel!! Wanted the besi group to be there but no luck.
Sunday: ER trip due to my daughter spliting her lip on the rocking ottoman :( 4 stiches :( she was doing fine by the end of it and it should not leave a scar. Birthday dinner for the brother-in-law.

No shop time BUT watched some good demos at the WW show and also got read through a bunch (15-20) of old WOOD magazines (!986-2001) the LOML picked up for free at a mag shop downtown. (Thanks honey)

Well thats all for me.

Jon

Bob Hovde
11-01-2004, 11:08 AM
No woodworking. Put the top down :D and LOML and I joined 17 other Miatas on a driveout to Cumberland Falls, Kentucky, to view the "moonbow." (A rainbow produced in the mist of the falls during a full moon.) Great weedend - top down all the way!

Also, got the word from the local electrical inspector that I can follow my original plan for a new service to the garage/shop (~$500) instead of the "replace everything" plan from the utility and contractor estimate ($3500). :)

JayStPeter
11-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Over the last few weeks, I made 5 more drawers for my shop cabinets. In these drawers, I was able to put all my handheld power tools. So, all the cases were stored away and finally opened up my lumber storage shelves for lumber.

So, took a trip to the sawmill on Saturday. Got some walnut, cherry, and a little hickory and wormy maple. Time to work on some real projects.

Sunday I finally installed a garage door opener for my wife. Looking at the receipt, I bought it Oct 24, 2003 :cool: . I'll have to put one on my side for the motorcycle sometime soon :rolleyes: .

Jay

Marshall Harrison
11-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Spent saturday cleaning leaves off of my in-laws roof and visiting with them. Got lots of firewood from them (hurricane damage). Had dinner with friends and family.

Sunday was church and help a freind pickup a load of firewoood. Finally got time to re-organize the garage. I moved my TS from the dining room to the garage which I now lovingly refer to as my shop.

Am I allowed to say "firewood" on this forum? :confused:

keith zimmerman
11-01-2004, 1:02 PM
No woodworking. Put the top down :D and LOML and I joined 17 other Miatas on a driveout to Cumberland Falls, Kentucky, to view the "moonbow." (A rainbow produced in the mist of the falls during a full moon.) Great weedend - top down all the way!

Love that moonbow. I have been fortunate enough to see that myself.

I had very minimal shop this weekend. Friday eve and Saturday were dedicated to judging the Central Illinois Camera Club Association's Fall Salon. It was a magnificent time. Also, on Saturday eve, I attended a 20th anniversary party for some close friends. Sunday was bill-paying and doing some work on a coupld of Cup Lid holders for my Lady and doing some inlace on a cherry bowl. Didn't even "watch" the Vikings give their game away.

keithz

Hal Flynt
11-01-2004, 1:31 PM
Just looked :eek: at my woodworking this weekend.

Sat in on 4 demo classes with David Marks (Woodworks) at the local Woodcraft Store weekend show. David is an artist and very willing to share one on one if you ever get a chance to se him in person.

Oh and then there were the leaves, about 6 hours worth and more coming down.