PDA

View Full Version : Hickory/Walnut/Beech Cutting Board

Jason Strauss
02-28-2010, 9:24 AM
I had some hickory scrap left over from a recent kitchen cabinet project. Since that project took me about 4 months, it's been awhile since I've done something for myself. So, a cutting board seemed like a nice small item to provide quick gratification. The result is 5/4 thick and 18" x 19" - heavy to say the least.

There's a hickory spline cut in at one end to provide some resistance against cupping. To allow for movement, the oak pins are glued in, but the spline and its elongated holes are not. The 'handle' in the top right corner is also not glued, but pinned into place. Finished w/ 4 coats of General Salad Bowl Finish.

My wife said that she doesn't want to cut on it!

John Thompson
02-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Nice job and good use of scraps....

Wally Alexander
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice board, and it's good to see someone else doing long grain boards. I know most people around here seem to like the end grain boards, but I prefer long grain. Good job, Wally

Jason Strauss
03-01-2010, 1:57 PM
Nice board, and it's good to see someone else doing long grain boards. I know most people around here seem to like the end grain boards, but I prefer long grain. Good job, Wally

Thanks, Wally. I wanted to make the most of what I had. I also like small details like splines and dowels - hence the long grain.