PDA

View Full Version : Uluru

Lionel Mercier
02-28-2010, 3:15 AM
Inspiration as the name speak itself...
Out of the rot and hollow hearth of a very old plumtree. Natural textured ( just brushed) segments sawn and glued inside out on waste wood.
Two plum rings inside to maintain the barrel.
on top, a briar cup with natural edge in order to remember rocks
nothing on plum to preserve the rough, french polish on briar

have tried some options in purpose of the top of Uluru. Just briar one on display above, but there are :
ebonised oak (just flush the top of Uluru) a plum one (to remember the wood of Uluru but overwhelming too much, and looks like a footed glass, not very fun...) a cherry one with textured little rim...(from left to right on pict02)
as you can see, Uluru is not round outside, only inside is turned and looks just like a barrel.

I'm always in search of the best top and way to display.... brain waves welcome !
to indication, naked Uluru in Pict03

Friendly, Lionel.

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Lionel - very interesting idea! Love the contrast in textures and color! Nice variety of bowls but I really like the way the ebonized oak looks with the plum!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Lionel - my wife just had a look at this and she really likes the briar wood bowl. She liked both the texture of the natural edge and the color. Just thought I'd let you know that I had been out-voted!

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Really nice Lionel. Very interesting.

Frank Van Atta
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Very innovative. I like it.

David E Keller
02-28-2010, 5:31 PM
Very interesting and creative way to display turnings. I like the contrast between the texture of the base and the finished surface of the turnings. Thanks for the inspiration.

John Keeton
02-28-2010, 6:42 PM
Really neat idea!! Register a vote for the briar bowl! But, the others show well on the stand, as well.

Roland Martin
02-28-2010, 8:21 PM
Lionel, quite a unique presentation. The natural edge briar would have to be my choice, but certainly can't go wrong with all others.

Brian Novotny
02-28-2010, 10:40 PM
great stand, but in my honest opinion it would best be suited for either a large round precious gemstone...........These turnings are HOT items at the larger gem shows like the yearly tuscon show, and any stone collector already owns some (not like that though, that's very unique) or more suited for wood possibly a sphere?