View Full Version : Checkered Lamination

Larry Marley
02-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Here is a little laminated vessel.

Walnut, hard maple,
226 pieces, 6" wide by 3.25" tall.

John Keeton
02-28-2010, 6:47 AM
Larry, nice job on the turning. The laminations sure give an interesting pattern with the curvature of the HF. Walnut and maple give such a nice contrast - the best of combinations IMO.

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Interesting pattern! Love the form! Great job on the joinery!

Larry Marley
02-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys,
I attended a workshop with Malcolm Tibbetts about a month ago. This was one of the techniques he explained. I used it to make a bottle stopper for a fund raiser at my turning club. The blank went together so fast, I decided to try it for a hollow form. The rings were cut from a 6" by 19" lamination. that board was resawn into two thinner planks and then cut into thirds. Giving me QTY 6 of 6" square boards about 1/3" thick.
The rings were cut with a parting tool while the boards were held to an MDF faceplate with turners tape. I was able to get two to three rings per board so I ended up with the 11 rings and some spares from a single lamination. An easy weekend project that does not look so easy.

George Guadiane
02-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Very nicely done'

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Love it. That is a really nice piece.

bob svoboda
02-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Super job! I love the pattern, form and finish. Nice work.

Doug W Swanson
02-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Nice looking piece!

At first I wasn't too sure about it but I had to look a few times before I decided I like it. Great joinery!

Doug

Malcolm Tibbetts
02-28-2010, 1:25 PM
Larry, great job. As I told the class, this is probably one of the biggest "bang for the buck" type projects in segmented woodturning. It's also an ideal collaboration type project for a woodturner and a woodworker - the woodworker creates the laminated material and then the woodturner creates two hollow forms.

Robert McGowen
02-28-2010, 2:21 PM
Very nice. This is one of those turnings that makes you ask how did he do that?

David E Keller
02-28-2010, 5:42 PM
Nice work. Great choice of contrasting woods and a pleasing form.

Tom Giacomo
02-28-2010, 9:20 PM
Realy great looking piece, nice finish.

Brian Effinger
02-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Very cool Larry. :)

If I am following your explanation correctly, this is kind of like a bandsawn "bowl from a board", right?

Larry Marley
02-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Very cool Larry. :)

If I am following your explanation correctly, this is kind of like a bandsawn "bowl from a board", right?

It does share some similarity to the bowl from a board because some rings are cut concentrically. But his is a different technique. first, the rings are cut in one piece on the lathe instead of in two halves on the bandsaw. Second, this method is flexible because all the rings are not concentric, they are cut from different parts of the board, so you have complete freedom to build any form you desire. With the bowl from a board using a bandsaw you are limited to a cone shape. Combining both techniques could be interesting.

Brian Effinger
02-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the reply Larry. When you say concentric, do you mean that one ring may be 1/4" wide, while the next is 3/4"?

Brian

And I apologize for my ignorance. :o

Larry Marley
02-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Brian,
I mean the rings have the same center.
The bottom of the vessel is a solid disk that is 3.25" in diameter on that same board, using the same center for the compass to mark it, ring 4 outside diameter is 5.25" and was 7/8" wide to start, making the interior radius for ring 4 about 4 3/8" so the bottom,"Ring One" fit inside ring 4.

Ring 2 and 5 were board two, rings 3, 7 from board three and so on.
I just progressed making one large diameter ring and one small diameter ring from each 6" square.

Having Malcolm explain it while doing it is an advantage. It is not as complicated as I am probably making it sound.