PDA

View Full Version : Running Electical on Outside of Garage Walls

Tom W Armstrong
02-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to add a sub-panel to my garage as it only has a couple outlets right now. However, the garage walls are all sheet rocked and painted (home built in 1998). I only need to add maybe three 220v outlets for my main machines. My primary question is on the proper way to add boxes and the wiring on the "outside" of the walls. I've seen some garages on here where that was done using conduit and metal boxes. Is that the standard technique and best practice?

Thanks,

Tom

Ray Bell
02-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Tom,

Do you have access above the ceiling to your shop? The best way IMO is to feed the new wire through the attic area, and then down between wall studs to new outlets.

Andrew Minear
02-28-2010, 5:41 AM
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to add a sub-panel to my garage as it only has a couple outlets right now. However, the garage walls are all sheet rocked and painted (home built in 1998). I only need to add maybe three 220v outlets for my main machines. My primary question is on the proper way to add boxes and the wiring on the "outside" of the walls. I've seen some garages on here where that was done using conduit and metal boxes. Is that the standard technique and best practice?

Thanks,

Tom

Conduit and metal boxes are up to code. It is sort of an industrial look, which you may like. Rent a conduit bender for the install. One advantage is that you can easily change the layout, if needed. If it were me, I would run a couple of extra boxes in yet unused areas, they will be utilized eventually.

Andrew

Chris Damm
02-28-2010, 8:00 AM
That's the way I did my whole shop. I finished the walls and surface mounted all the electrical boxes. It makes it real easy to change the layout and believe me you will want to make changes someday!

william raber
02-28-2010, 8:16 AM
Check the code for your area, before you install. However, that said I used pvc conduit and metal boxes for my shop. The pvc is a whole lot easier to work with.

Tom W Armstrong
02-28-2010, 9:05 AM
Thanks All for the help.

Ray, I do, and I hadn't thought about that. The attic is above the garage and the garage has 12 foot ceilings so it is a long way up and then back down.

Tom,

Do you have access above the ceiling to your shop? The best way IMO is to feed the new wire through the attic area, and then down between wall studs to new outlets.

Ray Bell
02-28-2010, 9:16 AM
Thanks All for the help.

Ray, I do, and I hadn't thought about that. The attic is above the garage and the garage has 12 foot ceilings so it is a long way up and then back down.

I don't think it is an easier solution, but believe it would be considerably cheaper.

Neil Davie
02-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I have done both the conduit on the outside and wiring inside the walls. I did the conduit approach when there was also particle board behind the sheetrock, making access more difficult. On my present shop, I used a circular saw to just cut through the sheetrock horizontally about a 1' strip in the areas needing access for the new outlets. The work then proceeded like a new install, and the sheetrock replaced, taped and painted. Actually very easy, and neat appearing.

Chris Jackson
02-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Tom...as others have mentioned always check the code for your area, you never want to run into a problem when you're selling your house, etc... Here in Maryland it is acceptable to run (and I have done with nice results) Armored Cable run on the outsides of the block walls and sheetrocked walls of my garage to my metal box outlets. Again as an earlier poster mentioned this provides a rather industrial look, but if you don't mind it keeps the runs short and clean, and they can be cleated with conduit clamps and U-nails with nice results. Again check your local area electrical code, but I'm certain this would be an inexpesive and adequate option.

Tom W Armstrong
02-28-2010, 3:42 PM
Excellent ideas, thanks. Okay, just one more question. Everyone keeps saying "check local codes..." How do I do that? I have found the number to call to ask about permits and inspections so I guess I can ask Monday when I call. Is there some sort of "clearing house" for codes based on locality? Seems to be rather tedious and complex to have special codes for every county / city in the US.

Tom

Chris Jackson
02-28-2010, 3:51 PM
NEC (National Electrical Code), and NEI (National Electrical Installation) Standards are available online for the most part. Your local (state) codes should be available through your state regulating body, which is usually "Electrical Codes and Standards Board" or something similar... NEC and NEI standards are usually more restrictive than the local codes however, that is not always the case...again check locally to be sure. In most instances you as the homeowner are legally allowed to add simple circuits without an inspection however, that may also be required...you local permitting office will be able to tell you, and also schedule those inspections as necessary (there is usually a fee involved). Hope that helps.

Logan William
02-28-2010, 6:07 PM
Excellent ideas, thanks. Okay, just one more question. Everyone keeps saying "check local codes..." How do I do that? I have found the number to call to ask about permits and inspections so I guess I can ask Monday when I call. Is there some sort of "clearing house" for codes based on locality? Seems to be rather tedious and complex to have special codes for every county / city in the US.

Tom

After looking at your location depending on what part of NW Misery you're in you may not have to worry about local codes, just following the NEC guidelines to ensure that what you're doing is safe reasonable and you won't have to worry about the nuances of individual municipality codes.

And sorry for that little jab at Missouri....but I live all of 3 miles north of the Iowa/Missouri State line so its not all that different.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-01-2010, 7:09 AM
I have finished walls and I have run my boxes through the walls. Cut the drywall, open up the wall, fish the wire, close the wall up.

I haven't taped and mudded them back in, should but aww well.