PDA

View Full Version : 3 bowls and my first NE

alex carey
02-27-2010, 11:32 PM
1 & 2 are of an unknown wood, had it for years, never been able to identify it. 8 1/2".

3 & 4 are of the olive, this is the opposite side of the platter I posted a week ago. 10"

5, 6, & 7 is an 8" olive crotch. It is also my first NE bowl. A tiny piece of bark fell off but I was unable to find it.

C&C welcome.

John Keeton
02-28-2010, 6:26 AM
Nice work, Alex! The first one looks a little like a mahogany type of wood. I don't know anything about tropical/exotic woods, but the grain structure looks similar.

Boy, the olive sure turned out nice, and the NE bowl looks great. Do you think you will have much trouble with cracking or warping on the olive?

Toney Robertson
02-28-2010, 8:53 AM
All are nice but...

The NE is very nice. The undulations around the rim make it.

Toney

Dennis Ford
02-28-2010, 9:05 AM
You did a very good job on all three but the beautiful olive wood makes those stand out. It is hard to pick a favorite between the platter and natural edge, both have features that I like.

Tony Greenway
02-28-2010, 9:17 AM
Alex, those are great looking pieces. The NE is really eye catching. My guess on the mystery wood is hickory. I have just turned some that has color and grain very similar to what you have. You did GOOD!

charlie knighton
02-28-2010, 9:47 AM
very nice...

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Nice work on everything Alex! The grain of the olive really steals the show!

With all the olive wood you grabbed - you should be able to find a small section of bark that would fit. The NE bowl looks fine the way it is - just if it was bugging you - you should be able to glue something in place.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Really nice pieces Alex. The olive wood is a beauty.

alex carey
02-28-2010, 5:15 PM
Unlikely John, I have finished three other pieces of olive and so far none of them have cracked, those first three pieces are a week old. Doesn't look like they are going to.

I haven't been turning them in one day though, instead I turn them one day, and sand/finish a day or two later.

Thanks for all the nice words i'm definitely loving this olive.

David E Keller
02-28-2010, 5:38 PM
Mmmmmm... I can almost smell that olive from here. Looks great.

It seems like your photos are a little bit on the dark side... Maybe one of the photo geniuses on here can help you with the color/contrast of the photos. I think we may be missing out on some of the beauty of those pieces because of the photos.

Paul Atkins
02-28-2010, 9:49 PM
Maybe the first one is acacia? Nice stuff. Someday in my spare time I'll get to my bowl blanks when I'm not turning spindles.

Baxter Smith
02-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Very pretty bowls. Great grain on the olive and the rim on the NE is nice.

alex carey
02-28-2010, 11:37 PM
yeah ill work on lighting the pictures better. I get lazy with my photography. Just don't find it that interesting.