PDA

View Full Version : Pegboard hooks that work well

Frank Pellow
10-31-2004, 11:07 PM
Those of you who looked at my workshop construction posting earlier this evening, will have noticed that I put a pegboard into the shop this week.

In the past, I have not liked pegboards very much because the pegs were never firm enough for my liking. But the latest Lee Valley Hardware catalogue had something called Talon Hooks that looked like they would work much better than "normal" pegboard hooks. Here is a link: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&page=50353&category=1%2C43326%2C43327&ccurrency=2

I installed the board yesterday and I am happy with the hooks. :) They definitely do stay in and the variety of hooks handled all the tools that I wanted to hang on the board.

I did encounter one problem. :( Just to test things out, I decided to remove 15 hooks. One those, 12 came out easily, 2 came out OK with some prying, and I broke the anchor mechanism when prying out one.

Attached is a picture of my pegboard with these hooks.

James Farrow
10-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. A lot better than the cheap aluminum ones
that came with my peg board.

James :)

Ted Shrader
11-01-2004, 9:22 AM
Frank -

Good info. The loose ones that fall out when all you do is remove a tool from them are a pain.

Thanks,
Ted

Dan Mages
11-01-2004, 9:47 AM
Ooooh. Those are perfect!! I may use them for my shop cabinets. I plan on making the doors to my upper cabinets into shadow boxes with pegboards to store small tools. These hooks will be perfect for that!! Thanks for the idea!

Dan

Tyler Howell
11-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Frank,

I concur with your assessment. Found in some cases the fit was so tight, I couldn't drive the set screw in. I've also found that peg board is not consistent from vender to vender. Good stuff.
I haaate it when the hooks fall out.;)

Frank Pellow
11-01-2004, 6:30 PM
Ooooh. Those are perfect!! I may use them for my shop cabinets. I plan on making the doors to my upper cabinets into shadow boxes with pegboards to store small tools. These hooks will be perfect for that!! Thanks for the idea!

Dan

Sounds like a good application. I will probably do the same.

I do have one piece of advice. Get some hooks first, take them with you, and try them out before you purchase the pegboard (which should be 1/4" thick).

Frank Pellow
03-10-2005, 8:39 PM
Bob Johnson2 sent me a note today asking how the Talon hooks works with heavy objects. I had never used them with really heavy objects, so I decided to test them with a 16 pound sledge hammer. See the attached picture.

You can't really see the hooks that I used in the picture because they are the same colour as the hammer. I used two hooks of the same type that are holding the C-clamps to the right of the hammer. The hammer felt quite sturdy. I tested the durability by droping the hammer (5 times) onto the hooks from a height of about 6 inches. They held and did not snap :) (I thought they might break because after all, the hooks are only made of plastic).

Jeff Sudmeier
03-10-2005, 9:16 PM
That is a heck of a test! I wonder how they would do in a cold shop like mine?

Bob Johnson2
03-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Now that's a test, guess I don't have to worry about breaking them with a few regular hammers. Thanks for checking it out for me. By the way, who chose the paint for your shop? Nice details.

Randy Meijer
03-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Frank: I didn't know your shop doubled as an art museum?? Tell us a little about the modern art piece hanging below your peg board??:D :D :D

Frank Pellow
03-10-2005, 11:20 PM
…By the way, who chose the paint for your shop? Nice details.

Frank: I didn't know your shop doubled as an art museum?? Tell us a little about the modern art piece hanging below your peg board??:D :D :D

All the wall (and door) art in my shop was contributed by my granddaughter Isla (4 and a half years old) and my grandson Ethan (2 and a half years old). :)

Stephen Dixon
03-10-2005, 11:51 PM
As my kids used to say "So much wall, so little time". It looks great.
Steve

larry merlau
03-11-2005, 7:29 AM
well frank looks like you have settled in :D i noticed your work bench being clutterd already as well, i like the abstrack art :D and those hooks will be on my wish list as well. enjoy your new space.