PDA

View Full Version : All G1023RL owners, please provide this info...

Milind Patil
02-27-2010, 10:53 PM
The max rip capacity of G1023RL, to the right side of the blade, is 26" per the specifications. My question is, will it be possible to shift the fence rails towards right side and increase the rip capacity ? May be this will require addtional supports to the right tips of the rails. But will that be possible ? If yes, how much you think the rip capacity can be increased ? Can it be reached 36 inches ?

I read on some other thread here (I think "G1023RL vs G0690/G0691") that G1023RL does not have riving knife. But Grizzly website clearly says that the saw has riving knife. Is that misinformation ?

Also can you please list what you don't like about this saw ?

scott spencer
02-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Milind - The pics on the Griz website clearly show a riving knife too, so I'd say it's likely that the "RL" suffix stands for riving knife, left tilt.

http://cdn3.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g1023rl_det2.jpg

The G1023RL has the same Shop Fox Classic fence that the G1023SL has. The G1023SL does not have a riving knife, but to answer your question, yes the fence can slide to the right for a right side capacity of ~ 36". It'd be best to support the legs, though it may not be absolutely necessary.

From a previous post:
"Milind - With left tilt saws there's rarely a need for any rip capacity to the left side of the blade, so it's often possible to easily slide the front fence tube over to the right by several inches. I've slid my last two fences over by 10", to give respective rip capacities of 40" and 36" (Craftsman 22124 and Shop Fox W1677). In both cases, I left the front angle bracket in place and simply unbolted the front rail tube, slid the distance of one bolt hole to the right (~10"), and rebolted the tube to the angle with one less bolt...there's still 3 or 4 bolts holding the tube, which is plenty strong. You need to relocate or replace the measuring tape on the rail, and recalibrate the cursor. It's usually a fairly straight forward 10 minute task, but depending on the fence design, sometimes you'll need to make an extension table to fill the space between the front and back rails. Food for thought so you're choices aren't as limited. "

Van Huskey
02-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Can't comment about the rip question but the current 1023 saws have a riving knife BUT as I understand it are not available yet after the redesign to meet UL requirements at the beginning of the year which is why it now has the riving knife.

Joe Leigh
02-28-2010, 8:26 AM
You might have trouble getting any detailed info on the new 1023RL because, to my knowledge, after speaking to a sales rep on Friday, none have been delivered.

Van Huskey
02-28-2010, 8:58 AM
You might have trouble getting any detailed info on the new 1023RL because, to my knowledge, after speaking to a sales rep on Friday, none have been delivered.

Shiraz (Papa Grizzly) said as much in a post in the last couple of days.

Joe Leigh
02-28-2010, 9:18 AM
Thanks, good to know we have a Grizzly rep lurking here.

Van Huskey
02-28-2010, 9:32 AM
Thanks, good to know we have a Grizzly rep lurking here.

Shiraz is a tiny bit more than a rep... he owns the company.

Milind Patil
02-28-2010, 9:44 AM
Thanks very much for the quick reply folks.

Joe Leigh
02-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Shiraz is a tiny bit more than a rep... he owns the company.

Ooopps, a thousand pardons...no disrespect intended.
Any chance he can get me a discount?