PDA

View Full Version : SuperNova Vs. SuperNova2

Roger Chandler
02-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I thought some might find this useful or at least a bit interesting.

I visited the WoodCraft store in Roanoke, Va. after a business meeting, and picked up the SuperNova2 chuck. They had it on sale for $119.99. [great buy]

I already own the original SuperNova and I noticed that in addition to the backing plate, and the allen key wrench, the slides on the superNova2 are a good bit bigger than the original superNova. I would guess that this would add strength to the chuck and it's ability to hold.

It was such a good buy, and I already had jaws of different sizes for my superNova that are interchangable, that I could not pass it up. I look forward to mounting my cole jaws on the superNova, and keep it ready for finishing off the bottoms of bowls, and use the superNova2 as my main chuck for turning.

If you are looking for a first quality chuck at a really good price, Now is the time to contact Woodcraft,

Jim Sebring
02-28-2010, 12:25 AM
I've checked the Woodcraft site twice over the last few days after folks mentioned the $119 price. I sure couldn't find a deal like that - the best I saw was in the $150 range. Is the $119 price unique to your local store?

Gordon Seto
02-28-2010, 12:47 AM
The $119.99 (item 145898) sale price is in their flyer for February 28 through March 27. Local stores may honor the sale price before the official effective date, to save the trouble of price adjustment.
You may also use code 22331 for free shipping before March 1.

Allen Neighbors
02-28-2010, 9:59 AM
Thanks for the information! I have two SN2s and would like to get another. :)

Paul Williams
02-28-2010, 1:14 PM
I have teh Delta midi and looking for a chuck. The Woodcraft sale makes the G3 and the SN2 virtually the same price. Techatool's web site reccommends the SN for lathes with greater than 14" swing, and the Precision Midi for less than 14". They also talk about the SN2 being hard on bearings etc. when mounted on smaller laths. So is a midi a smaller lathe? Would the Nova G3 be a better choice or would I end up wishing I bought the SN2. I don't see myself turning many large bowls. I have been turning small bowls and a few plates along with many small items. Which chuck would you reccommend?

Allen Neighbors
02-28-2010, 3:11 PM
For my mini, I have an older Nova Compac. It's better on the mini than my SN2. I recommend the G3 for your little lathe. Just my two cents worth.

Gerold Griffin
02-28-2010, 3:24 PM
So my lathe is a 14" but hopefully I can upgrade this year :rolleyes:. Would it hurt my current lathe? Since they have adapters I could use this chuck on the next lathe as well as this one. Also just how good a chuck is this? If I use it on a bowl go to another project and come back to the bowl will it still run true? The chuck I am using now (cheap griz) never runs true when I rechuck anything.

Allen Neighbors
02-28-2010, 7:55 PM
Gerold, when I put a piece in the chuck, I put a mark on both sides of the number one jaw. That way if I have to re-chuck it, I can get the same jaw in the same spot. It helps. I don't like to take a piece out of the chuck 'til it's ready for me to finish the bottom. That's another reason to have multiple chucks... :)