PDA

View Full Version : Is .ooo close enough ?????

Bill Huber
02-27-2010, 10:11 PM
I got the Woodpecker saw gauge (http://www.woodpeck.com/sawgauge.html), which I really like much better then the Super Bar I had.

I checked the arbor and the arbor flange and they were both great, no movement in them at all.

I then installed the Mater Plate (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6039) and check the miter slot to Mater Plate and found it to be off only .003, now I know this is nothing less then a piece of paper but what the heck can I get it closer.

I worked for about and hour and a half and was not having much luck. Every time I got it set spot on and tightened it down it would change it back to .003.

I was ready to say let it be when I decided to try one more thing, I set it off at -.003. Well now when I locked everything down it came in at .001 but no I just can't let it stay there.. so I then set it to -.004 and locked everything back down..... well what do you know .000.

Put everything back together, put the blade on and did some cuts. Then I took the blade off, put on the Master Plate and checked everything, still at .000 what more could I as for.

So is .000 close enough??????

Van Huskey
02-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Nope, gotta have at worst .000005. :D

Logan William
02-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Did you notice any difference in cut quality from before to after as that is the most important thing when you're getting that close. Personally I'd say you're done, the wood will move more than that while cutting so trying to get much closer will be kinda chasing your tail IMO.

Tom Veatch
02-27-2010, 10:36 PM
So is .000 close enough??????

Only if you're ready to swear that 4th digit isn't something other than 0. I'd hate to think it might be off 0.0001.;)

The only thing I see wrong with that setup, is that when the cut comes out bad, there's one less thing to blame it on.

Bill Huber
02-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Nope, gotta have at worst .000005. :D

I guess I need to get a much better dial indicator......
I should be able to get one for under $300.:D

Bill Huber
02-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Did you notice any difference in cut quality from before to after as that is the most important thing when you're getting that close. Personally I'd say you're done, the wood will move more than that while cutting so trying to get much closer will be kinda chasing your tail IMO.

I could not see a difference, I guess I just did it to see if I could. .003 is not very much and I don't think I will ever see a difference in that .003 and .000.

Bill Huber
02-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Only if you're ready to swear that 4th digit isn't something other than 0. I'd hate to think it might be off 0.0001.;)

The only thing I see wrong with that setup, is that when the cut comes out bad, there's one less thing to blame it on.

No that is why I used the Master Plate, I can always blame the blade. You know those cheap $100 blades are not very good.:D

Bruce Page
02-27-2010, 11:36 PM
.000 usually means a broke indicator. :D:D

JK!

Jim Dunn
02-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Bill, you need to be careful of indicator sag:)

Van Huskey
02-27-2010, 11:47 PM
No that is why I used the Master Plate, I can always blame the blade. You know those cheap $100 blades are not very good.:D

Now you have to give us run-outs for all your blades... :eek:

Kent A Bathurst
02-28-2010, 12:56 AM
.........The only thing I see wrong with that setup, is that when the cut comes out bad, there's one less thing to blame it on.....

LOL.

Exactly - no pilot ever flew it into the hill.