PDA

View Full Version : Lubricant on trunnion

Tullie Templet
02-27-2010, 8:52 PM
I am setting up my Grizzly 1023 that I bought used and I was wondering what lubricant if any should I use on all the moving parts in there. My first thought was grease but sawdust will stick and cake up right? Thanks !!!

Walt Stevens
02-27-2010, 9:03 PM
Kelly Mehler's book suggests cleaning the trunnion thoroughly and lubricating with a dry lubricant or wax that doesn't pick up the sawdust. I used a brush to apply Johnson's paste wax to the trunnions on my 1023, and it has worked out well.

glenn bradley
02-27-2010, 9:44 PM
I use a "dry" Teflon spray from Lowe's (http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_0_?productId=1059839&Ntt=teflon&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=teflon$y=20$x=26)(unde r $5 a can). Been using it for years with good results . . . I'm still on the original can so I guess it works for quite awhile between re-sprays.

James Baker SD
02-27-2010, 9:58 PM
Tullie,

you are definitely correct about grease and oil catching sawdust. I tried to keep my PM-66 lubricated with oil and things got so gummed up that I could not raise or tilt the blade with one hand. I finally bit the bullet and took the saw completely apart, cleaned the gears and sliding surfaces better than when the saw left the factory and then lubricated with LPS Force842 ( a dry moly lube). I am very pleased with well the saw works now and my compressor easily gets the sawdust out the works and into the DC. A lot of work completely disassembling the saw, but now that its done, I'm glad I did it.

James

Tullie Templet
02-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys!! Espically you Mr. Glenn. Just about every topic that I make you respond to. Just want to say I appreciate it.

Larry Anderson
02-28-2010, 12:43 AM
I've been using Progold PG2000 penetrating lubricant.
http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/PG2000.html

Gerry Grzadzinski
02-28-2010, 6:43 AM
I use LPS 1.

Kevin Womer
02-28-2010, 8:38 AM

PG 2000 works pretty well, I have recently tried it and I like it. Paste wax would be my second choice and consequently the cheaper alternative.

Alex Shanku
02-28-2010, 9:13 AM
I have a Dow Corning Moly Dry film lube. Works great. Apply once or twice a year.

Steven J Corpstein
02-28-2010, 11:15 AM
+1 on using paste wax. It works well and doesn't collect sawdust.

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2010, 2:13 PM
A question on a related note...what do you guys use to clean the gears and threaded rods? I've used a rag to get the big globs of factory grease off, but I know there is still some there that will collect the dust and gum things up. Do you spray it with some sort of solvent? If so, what's good that won't attack the paint? Thanks! Jim.

Neil Brooks
02-28-2010, 2:28 PM
Jim,

IMHO, this is a pretty good application for WD-40 -- a fine grease solvent, and a mediocre lubricant ;)

James Combs
02-28-2010, 2:39 PM
I agree on the WD40. It has been my choice for my Bosch 4100-09 portable contractors saw.

Jim,

IMHO, this is a pretty good application for WD-40 -- a fine grease solvent, and a mediocre lubricant ;)

Rod Sheridan
02-28-2010, 3:00 PM
A question on a related note...what do you guys use to clean the gears and threaded rods? I've used a rag to get the big globs of factory grease off, but I know there is still some there that will collect the dust and gum things up. Do you spray it with some sort of solvent? If so, what's good that won't attack the paint? Thanks! Jim.

Hi Jim, clean the threaded rods with varsol and a paint brush, then dry them and use a dry moly lube.

Like Alex, I also use the Dow Corning spray can.

Regards, Rod.

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2010, 3:56 PM
I remember using varsol as a fuel for a steam cleaner back in the 70s at a dealership when I was in college. Where would I be able to find small quantities of that now? We don't use anything like that currently at the dealerships. Acrysol is easy enough to get. It's a good degreaser/cleaner and dries quickly. Wonder if that would work? What about Kerosene? I've got some of that. Jim.

David DeCristoforo
02-28-2010, 4:05 PM
"...what do you guys use to clean the gears and threaded rods?"

I've always been big WD40 user. But now that it comes in that awesome new redesigned "never lose the straw again" can, I just can't wait for the next chance to shoot it on something.

Neil Brooks
02-28-2010, 5:11 PM
"...what do you guys use to clean the gears and threaded rods?"

I've always been big WD40 user. But now that it comes in that awesome new redesigned "never lose the straw again" can, I just can't wait for the next chance to shoot it on something.

Right with ya', David!

Today ... unable to wait ANY longer ... I went after the stains on the epoxied floor of my garage.

Aaaaaaahhhhh :)

Henry Ambrose
02-28-2010, 8:27 PM

Excellent product and vastly better than WD40.

Karl Card
02-28-2010, 8:31 PM

that stuff is just awesome... my table saw took 2 hands to turn so i stopped before something broke. I first blew out what i could with air and then sprayed with this and now i can turn my bladed up or down with my littlest finger, pinkie just didnt sound right in this forum...lol..

i also use this now on my planer and anything that needs to turn easily

Tri Hoang
02-28-2010, 9:12 PM
It's a pretty dusty place. Most stuffs just get beaten up by the huge amount of saw dust. I used to use white lithium grease which Mark Duginske recommends.

Jim O'Dell
03-14-2010, 1:19 PM
Glenn had a link to the spray he uses. Available at Lowe's. I'm not finding the LSP products listed on any of the websites of hardware type stores near me. Where do you find this stuff? LSP has a dry PTFE spray on their web site that looks interesting. Thanks! Jim.

Lex Boegen
03-14-2010, 1:41 PM
Glenn had a link to the spray he uses. Available at Lowe's. I'm not finding the LSP products listed on any of the websites of hardware type stores near me. Where do you find this stuff? LSP has a dry PTFE spray on their web site that looks interesting. Thanks! Jim.

Try calling your local bicycle shops. It's often used as a chain and gear lube.

Kevin Gregoire
03-14-2010, 2:19 PM
i just picked up a can of this on glenn's recommendation from lowes and sprayed my
trunions so will see how it repels dust. it already quieted my squeaky blade elevation wheel.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/036121/036121191570lg.jpg

James Baker SD
03-14-2010, 3:39 PM

Jim:

I bought it on the web from MSC Industrial Supply.
James

Rod Sheridan
03-14-2010, 6:05 PM
I remember using varsol as a fuel for a steam cleaner back in the 70s at a dealership when I was in college. Where would I be able to find small quantities of that now? We don't use anything like that currently at the dealerships. Acrysol is easy enough to get. It's a good degreaser/cleaner and dries quickly. Wonder if that would work? What about Kerosene? I've got some of that. Jim.

Jim, Varsol is simply a trade name for paint thinner.........Rod

Norman Hitt
03-14-2010, 8:39 PM

Look up "LPS" instead of LSP.;):D

Jim O'Dell
03-14-2010, 8:41 PM

Really?!? I obviously didn't know that. Maybe I'm remembering the wrong name of what we used to power the steam cleaner.:confused: ;)
I bought a can of dry lube with PTFE at HD. Only problem is I think I got some on my belts. :o :(:(:( Saw didn't want to cut 3/4" ply without seriously bogging down. I could have stopped the blade if I had pushed. Yes, blade was the right direction...I looked to make sure!!! I'm taking some vacation time starting Wed. Have to go to OK to see my parents and bring back a riding mower. I'll check the power connections Thursday. Jim.

Karl Brogger
03-15-2010, 9:29 AM
I tried just about everything. Parrifin wax, paste wax, Zepalon, Bostik dry lube, LPS1, Chain lube for motorcycles, heavy weight engine oil, and the best I've used so far is grease for the pinions and rails, and oil for the bushings

Does it collect sawdust? Yes. Does it matter? No. If you goober enough on there it actually forms a protective layer of dust that actually holds the whole mess on there.

Adjusting the pinion gears so they aren't too tight, or too loose helps alot as well. It drives me absolutely bonkers when I tilt or raise the blade and something squeeks.

Stephen Edwards
03-15-2010, 10:27 AM
I use this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-11016-Dri-Film-Lubricant/dp/B000RFRM4U

I also spray it on CI tops and fences in between routine applications of paste wax. Works great. Dries instantly, right before your eyes!

Mr. Jeff Smith
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
16oz Pump Spray from Woodcraft for under $10 shipped*:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=18222&ss=255de653-d754-414a-ba29-2583db2a5dc2

*Free Shipping March 15-19th

Kevin Gregoire
04-30-2010, 12:32 AM
two weeks or so and only one application and still no squeeks and hardly no dust buildup.
this is the good stuff!
thanks glenn

i just picked up a can of this on glenn's recommendation from lowes and sprayed my
trunions so will see how it repels dust. it already quieted my squeaky blade elevation wheel.

Milind Patil
04-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Today I talked to Grizzly tech guy about the exact same issue and he strongly recommended white lithium grease. Anyone has used white lithium grease ?

Myk Rian
04-30-2010, 7:14 AM
Have to go to OK to see my parents and bring back a riding mower.
New tool for the shop?:D

Neil Brooks
04-30-2010, 9:34 AM
Today I talked to Grizzly tech guy about the exact same issue and he strongly recommended white lithium grease. Anyone has used white lithium grease ?

One of the earlier posters in this thread says he was using it, and that Mark Duginske recommends it.

As a hobbyist bike mechanic, I've got dozens of cans of ... every kind of lube imaginable.

White lithium is handy to have around. The stick form *might* be easier for TS use than the spray.

YMMV.

Jim O'Dell
04-30-2010, 11:41 AM
New tool for the shop?:D

No, this one will hopefully stay out of my shop.:rolleyes: I've worked on lawnmowers enough the last 2 years. It parks in the stall next to my wife's car in the garage. :D

Kevin Gregoire
07-09-2010, 1:10 AM
okay, going on 4 months now and i have only done the original application and my
squeek is still gone and there is no dust buildup on the gears. im very impressed with
this product and i highly recommend it!

i cant thank glenn enough for his recommendation of this great product at Lowes (http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_0_?productId=1059839&Ntt=teflon&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=teflon$y=20$x=26)

Norman Hitt
07-09-2010, 8:33 AM

Just for information;

Maybe it's a paint thinner Brand in Canada,:confused: but in the Lower 48, it is a degreaser, used extensively in Aircraft maintenance shops as far back as I can remember. (maybe they have come up with something new in the last 20 years though, I don't know). It works much like kerosene, but doesn't leave the oily film when well dried. Every internal combustion aircraft engine (and other greasy/oily parts) was always pressure sprayed with it and then blown dry with air when doing inspections and maintenance. We bought it in 55 gal drums. (Oh yes, it never hurt the paint either).

glenn bradley
07-09-2010, 9:49 AM
okay, going on 4 months now and i have only done the original application and my
squeek is still gone and there is no dust buildup on the gears. im very impressed with
this product and i highly recommend it!

i cant thank glenn enough for his recommendation of this great product at Lowes (http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_0_?productId=1059839&Ntt=teflon&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=teflon$y=20$x=26)

That is so cool that it has worked as well for you as it has for me. Cheap too! ;) I can't recall where I read about it but I bought a can and am still using the same one years later.