PDA

View Full Version : I got diverted from shop time!

Bill Arnold
02-27-2010, 6:20 PM
In a big way, too!

I haven't felt well for quite a while and mostly blamed the weather. Then on Saturday, 2/13, I had some chest pain that I thought was lung congestion because it was really high on my chest. Sunday morning, I felt a little worse but kept putting it out of my mind until LOML saw I was getting worse. She drove me to the hospital ER here in Thomasville where they evaluated me and notified my cardiologist.

My cardiologist came by and made sure I was stabilized. He scheduled a heart cath for Monday. The heart cath showed areas of 90% blockage in two coronary arteries and some degree of blockage in other areas. He said stints would not be an option, so I would have to be transported to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital on Tuesday morning. I had one stint placed in 2003 that had cleared up a lot of issues.

When I met the surgeon at TMH, he went over the process with my wife and me. I was scheduled for surgery first thing Wednesday morning. I felt fine during all of the preparation process, then lost track as they wheeled me into the operating room.

I started becoming aware of my surroundings around the time of day the surgeon had told me I would. I didn't know until a day or two afterward that I had actually been out of it for 24 hours. I was still entubated which was really annoying and had to wait until the next morning for the tubes to be pulled. All of the doctors who came to see me assured me I was doing fine, my heart was strong and I would recover just fine.

After a couple of days, the surgeon gave me more details about the surgery. They got me prepped, then started the anesthesia. My vital signs started dropping but didn't stop until I had none. They had to shock me twice to get my heart started again, then began the surgery. Those events changed the surgical process somewhat but they were able to accomplish a large part of the planned repair.

I still have some areas of small blockage but they aren't of concern for now. The surgeon said the bottom line is that my heart muscle itself is very strong. I should be back to normal and even better in a few weeks.

LOML brought me home yesterday (Friday, 2/26). I slept better last night than I had in a couple of weeks. I can feel myself getting stronger each day. I'm sure I'll be able to do some light shop work in a couple of weeks.
The main thing the surgeon cautioned me about is limited lifting. Fortunately, a large bottle of Beam fits nicely in the parameters!

Thanks for letting me get a little long-winded. It's therapeutic to review the events of the past two weeks and gives me a greater view of the future I now have.

Bruce Page
02-27-2010, 6:27 PM
Whew! I’m glad you made it through that OK. Take it easy and nurse yourself slowly.

Jim O'Dell
02-27-2010, 7:05 PM
So, you only did a double when the quad's all the rage???! Oh, too much Olympics. My bad. :D:D
Glad your wife recognized the problem!!! Take it easy and do what the Doc says. They've gotten hundreds through this before, they won't steer you wrong. Jim.

Phil Thien
02-27-2010, 7:26 PM
Holy smokes! Glad you're feeling better.

And hats off to the wife. If we had waited for you to do something, she'd have been typing your goodbyes! ;)

Mike Henderson
02-27-2010, 7:33 PM
I hope you recover quickly, Bill. The shop probably misses you.

Mike

Mitchell Andrus
02-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Lifting and emptying ever larger bags of sawdust will get you back into shape. Don't the iron get rusty.

Greg Cuetara
02-28-2010, 1:33 AM
Wow. Sounds like you are doing good right now. Keep it up and don't try to get back into the swing of things too soon. Better to take an extra day now than take 2 down the road because you tried to hurry it.

Be well.

Greg

Belinda Barfield
02-28-2010, 8:09 AM
Glad you wife was paying attention, Bill, and glad you are on the mend.

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Wow - that's quite the scare! Glad that's behind you and you are feeling better! Hope your recovery is quick and complete! Thanks for sharing!

Tony De Masi
02-28-2010, 11:22 AM
It's quite the gift that our wives really do pay attention to us. I'm very happy to hear that the docs have given you such a good looking future. Take it slow and follow the docs orders. Sometimes I get the feeling they know of what they speak.

Tony

Phyllis Meyer
02-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Bill, you are in our thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery! You truly have a new lease on life and it just shows all of us once again that we shouldn't take any day or anyone for granted! Take it easy, and listen to the Dr.'s!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Bill,

Glad you are back...glad you have a great prognosis!

Take care of yourself and follow the doctors advice.

Bill Arnold
02-28-2010, 12:10 PM
So, you only did a double when the quad's all the rage???! ...
Good one, Jim!

The original plan was a triple but that changed when I pulled my trick on them. The double covers the major areas of concern. The artery going down the right side of the heart has less blockage than thought once they were inside, so they opted to get me off the bypass machine quicker and maybe deal with the right artery with stints later on.

Lori Kleinberg
02-28-2010, 1:24 PM
What would you men do without us women to watch over you :rolleyes:. Seriously glad you are doing better. Take it slow and get well soon.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2010, 1:38 PM
What would you men do without us women to watch over you :rolleyes:.

Oh really??????

Ask me about the LOML waking me up at 0400 recently with chest pains and refusing to go to the ER because she doesn't want them to think she's a hypochondriac. After I called my sister a nurse practioner and she questioned my wife....then when Sis said get her to the ER...the LOML caved in.....:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
02-28-2010, 4:05 PM
Ah, nothing like being home in your own bed after the "pleasure" of hospital accommodations! 'Glad you're on the mend and that they were able to clear up a good chunk of the problems.

Bill Arnold
02-28-2010, 5:17 PM
What would you men do without us women to watch over you :rolleyes:. Seriously glad you are doing better. Take it slow and get well soon.
AMEN! LOML has been great to get things I need and watch over me. It's not easy for me to have anyone waiting on me.

Her biggest issue is that I've done nearly all of the cooking since I retired a few years ago. She was laughing today about having to remember how to cook! ;)

Joe Mioux
02-28-2010, 9:15 PM
bill, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

hope you recovery soon and get to go back out in your shop asap.

joe

Brian Effinger
02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Holy cow! I'm glad you're doing ok, and hope you can get back in the shop soon.