PDA

View Full Version : My new shop-made router table fence.

Jason White
02-27-2010, 3:22 PM
Thanks for the input from others on building a fence for my router table!

After 2 or 3 "prototypes," I now have a good, rock-solid fence for the cast-iron extension wing that doubles as a router table on my Grizzly cabinet saw.

The face is a single piece of 1-1/8" thick red oak, which I secured to a plywood "sub-fence" attached with connector bolts and T-nuts. I routed a dado in the oak to accept a Kreg T-track slot for mounting featherboards. I attached the whole thing to my tablesaw fence with a couple of Rockler auxiliary fence clamps.

All in all, it works great! Dust collection is good when connected to my Festool vac. I considered a split-face, but didn't really see a need for it.

My biggest problem was squaring the face with the cast-iron table, which I shimmed at the top with some blue painter's tape. Not very pretty, but it does the job. If anybody has a better option, I'm all ears.

I covered all wood with two coats of Watco "walnut" Danish oil that I found on clearance at Home Depot. I think it makes the red oak look nice, but not the birch plywood (a little blotchy). I'll likely add a coat or two of poly or wax on top of everything to keep the wood stable and the face of the fence slick.

Whad'ya all think?

Jasonfe

Darin Higginbotham
02-27-2010, 3:42 PM
Looks good Jason if Ididn't already have mine built I'd steal your plans lol, enjoy your new table and fence.

Neil Brooks
02-27-2010, 3:46 PM
Whad'ya all think?

Do you mean ... about the fact that it looks like it's perfectly functional, or about the fact that it looks like an elegant piece of fine furniture?

John Maus
02-27-2010, 7:22 PM
Solid looking fence Jason. Nice job. Should be really easy to use attached to your TS fence.

Tony Shea
02-27-2010, 7:33 PM
If your worried about looks of the blue painter's tape why not just cut off the hang over? Also some tin foil or brass shim stock would work just as well to shim out the top end. You can by brass shim stock by the roll from Lee Valley maybe or it could be Rockler. It's one of the two companies. But if the painter's tape work then leave it. Nice sturdy fence and looks very functional. It's also pretty damn nice looking.