PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2010, 3:03 PM
Well got the vacuum system up and running today. I need to make a couple of chucks yet but so far I am satisfied. I bought my system from Tom Steyer because he had a 110 V vacuum pump which was great as I don't have 220 V in the shop. Tom owns JT Turning Tools, LLC. I bought the hand wheel adapter kit, the vacuum adapter that plugs into the hand wheel, all the parts, pump and the manifold he makes where all the connection branch from. The hand wheel adapter kits are really slick. It bolted right onto my Nova DVR hand wheel with a O-ring seal. So when all was said and done I bought hand wheel adapters so I can use this one system on my 3 lathes. You buy the parts package, the hand wheel kits, vacuum adapter, and the vacuum pump or you can buy whatever you need. It pulls 22" to 23" hg and I am hoping for some time tomorrow to run it thru it's paces. I will give a report then but for now extremely happy that it is done. Tom and Steve Schlumpf were extremely helpful. I guess I found out that Tom's adapter wheel kits and Vacuum adapter is going to be used by Robust Tools on their lathes. Not affiliated in any way just happy so far. Will give a update tomorrow or Monday.

Dale Bright
02-27-2010, 3:40 PM
Bernie, you will really like the vacuum chuck. I put one together about a year ago using one of Tom's adapters and Steve's plans. The first time I used it, all I could say was, "why did I wait so long to do this?"

Dale

John Keeton
02-27-2010, 3:56 PM
Bernie, I am watching with interest!;) Not that I would want to dive deeper into this vortex, mind you!!:D

Steve Schlumpf
02-27-2010, 4:43 PM
Bernie - nice looking system you got there! Looking forward to seeing how you like using it!

Ray Bell
02-27-2010, 6:01 PM
Very nice and compact Bernie. What is the small black object that the vacuum lines, water trap, and gauge run through. Is that the rotary valve that is always mentioned in these threads?

Steve Mawson
02-27-2010, 7:41 PM
Bernie,
Tom and I are in the same turning club. Saw the pump earlier this month and I was impressed. You look to have a great set up. Will be interested in how it works as this is on my save for list:(:). Tom has a great line of turning accessories and continues to come up with new ideas that are well thought out and well made. The machining is top notch on all the adapters, wheels and his hollowing system.

Terry Achey
02-27-2010, 8:20 PM
Very nice, Bernie. Actually, I've been thinking about a vac chuck alot lately for my DVR, too. I need to do more research (search this Sawmill) as time permits on set up, etc. I'll be watching for a report on your system! Thanks for posting.

Terry

Bill Bolen
02-27-2010, 8:29 PM
Fine looking rig Bernie. Been thinking about that myself although the shop vac has been fine for most of my bowls. On the vac pump you bought from Tom, is it oil less or one of those that you have to keep an oil resouvoir filled?...Bill...

Mike Peace
02-27-2010, 9:22 PM
Bernie, I know you will enjoy it. I think it takes a while to get your confidence up using one. At least for me, For several bowls, I kept a close watch on the gauge, the rotary adapter and the turning to make sure I wasn't going to get any nasty surprises while turning. Matter of fact I still monitor all three. So far, no implosions are launched bowls. Well, maybe one in the past year.

Joe Mioux
02-27-2010, 9:22 PM
Bernie, I am watching with interest!;) Not that I would want to dive deeper into this vortex, mind you!!:D

cough cough.... John, I have read almost everything your have posted in the turners forum. More importantly, I have enjoyed your posts immensely.

tipping toeing down the vortex isn't exactly my vision of your woodturing journey. ;)

and Bernie, that looks like a great set up for you. congrats.

joe

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Ray the little black box is a manifold that Tom built instead of a brass T and several other connectors. The vac gauge, bleeder valve and the in/out connections are on there. He also has a stud sticking up to put the vac adapter there when not in use.

Bill it is a oilless system.

Ray Bell
02-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks Bernie, what is a rotary adapter?

Peter Lamb
02-28-2010, 7:14 AM
Your life in the vortex has changed for the better. I believe you will wonder "what took me so long".
Enjoy I certainly have,
Peter

Charles Bouchelle
02-28-2010, 7:49 AM
when shopping for a vacuum pump on sites like Ebay what should I be looking for as far as specs?

Ken Glass
02-28-2010, 8:46 AM
Bernie,
Way to Go. It is so much easier using a Vacuum system and it will add a great element to your turning. I also have one of Tom's Rotary Adapters, and they are great.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks Bernie, what is a rotary adapter?

Ray the vacuum adapter plugs into the hand wheel and has the bearings in it so the input hose stays stationary but the housing turns with the lathe.

Thanks again for the kind comments from all.

Ray Bell
02-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Ahhh, got it. The rotary adapter, and the vacuum adapter are the same items with different names. Thanks Bernie.