PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Saw Blade - DUH??

Dale Thompson
10-31-2004, 8:48 PM
Hi folks,
This should be one for submittal to the, "Moron Woodworkers Hall of Fame". Whatever: "Assuming that the fences and stuff are set up correctly on my table saw and SCMS and the blades are not gummed up with pitch, how can I tell if I have a dull blade? Is there any other indication besides 'burning'"?

There, I asked the question. :o :o Yeah, Rudy San Josey, I KNOW that a dull blade "tears" flesh and bone and a sharp blade just "slices" them. However, I'm down to two fingers and three toes and, thereby running out of testing materials. :( :)

Dale T.

Jim Becker
10-31-2004, 8:53 PM
Cut a piece of plywood with a that blade and examine the cut. Better yet, get it sharpened anyway and then make the cut. Keep that as a reference for what it "should" look like for future reference.

And do keep your fingers, toes and other appendages :D away from the spinning sharp things...but you knew that already!

Ted Shrader
11-01-2004, 9:33 AM
Dale -

You can also tell from the feel of the feed. However, since the dulling process is gradual (with some exceptions :)), the increase in feed pressure is too. Go with Jim's suggstion. Treat your saw to a freshly sharpened blade.

Regards,
Ted

Dan Gill
11-01-2004, 10:10 AM
One very basic test is to drag your thumnail across the corner of a tooth. It should catch and scratch your thumnail with very little pressure. If it won't catch the nail, get the blade sharpened.

John Miliunas
11-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Good grief, man! Get the cobwebs off that wallet of yours, jump in the car and go down to Ace and treat yourself to a new blade! Now, I know they've probably re-arranged the store since the last time you purchased one of their quality blades, but just ask the nice high-schooler at the register, and they'll direct you in the general direction. :) After you figure out that they just pointed you to the chain saws, go over two aisles and you should be able to find what you're looking for. :D Now, please don't get sticker shock! I know Johnson was still in office the last time you bought one, but trust me, $14.95 for a 10" blade is pretty good! :D If you still feel that's too much, well then go ahead and scoot on down to the HF store and get one down there. I still think Ace is your better bet, because most of them have some type of sharpening service available, as well. That way, you can leave your old blade for sharpening, along with your Buck knife and scissors. :) Good luck! Don't forget to give us a nice review of your new purchase. :) :cool:

Dale Thompson
11-01-2004, 7:43 PM
$14.95 for a 10" blade is pretty good! :D :cool:

Jim, Ted, Dan,
Thanks for the inputs. Dan, after checking out your suggestion on the fingernail thing, I think that I will go with Jim and Ted and do the blade sharpening thing.

Spring, once again you are of no help whatsoever. :) Who ever HEARD of spending $14.95 on a lousy saw blade?? :eek: My table saw and lathe TOGETHER didn't cost THAT much and I had to save up for years to get THOSE! :o ;)

Thanks again, guys. :)

Dale T.

Steve Clardy
11-01-2004, 8:30 PM
Jim, Ted, Dan,
Thanks for the inputs. Dan, after checking out your suggestion on the fingernail thing, I think that I will go with Jim and Ted and do the blade sharpening thing.

Spring, once again you are of no help whatsoever. :) Who ever HEARD of spending $14.95 on a lousy saw blade?? :eek: My table saw and lathe TOGETHER didn't cost THAT much and I had to save up for years to get THOSE! :o ;)

Thanks again, guys. :)

Dale T.
ROFLOL.:D:D

So Dale. If your tools are in the LOW BUCKS catagory, just what do you spend all your money on??:confused::confused:

Steve:)

Dale Thompson
11-01-2004, 9:50 PM
ROFLOL.:D:D

So Dale. If your tools are in the LOW BUCKS catagory, just what do you spend all your money on??:confused::confused:

Steve:)

Steve,
Medication, dentures, joint replacement, counseling, hearing aids, trifocals, battery operated wheelchairs, wild ladies, fast cars, strong drink and Willie Nelson CDs!! :D :D :cool:

Dale T.

Gene Collison
11-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Steve,
Medication, dentures, joint replacement, counseling, hearing aids, trifocals, battery operated wheelchairs, wild ladies, fast cars, strong drink and Willie Nelson CDs!! :D :D :cool:

Dale T.

_______________________________________-

ROTFLMAO

Gene

Pat Monahan
11-02-2004, 12:21 AM
Steve,

Dale T. Dale :confused: In that order ?? Where are your priorities ??:D

John Miliunas
11-02-2004, 8:12 AM
Yeah, and not only that, but he forgot his slot cars and snowmobiles! :eek: :cool: