PDA

View Full Version : First Gloat! 200 bd ft of african mahogany and oak

Logan William
02-27-2010, 1:36 PM
So I heard through the rumor mill at work that one of the guys was selling a bunch of mahogany because he was moving so I asked him when he came it about it and sure enough he was, be bought it off an employee only auction about a year and a half ago and hadn't done anything to it other than build a rack to store it in. Said there was 100+ long pieces and wanted 150 for it. I said I'd be there on Saturday to pick it up. Well just got done unloading it into the house and it wasn't quite 100 pieces but it is a substantial amount of african. Everything is 15/16" thick, between 2-1/4" and 3" wide, and ranges in length from 14'-6" to 15'-5"! No knots at all that I saw, all pieces are fairly straight, little bit of bow/crook in places but much better than I would've expected from pieces that long. After we got done loading it he asked if there was anything else I wanted to buy and saw some oak planks in the rafters and asked about those and after looking them over and seeing its basically all hand picked clear red oak I bought that as well. Right at 60 bd feet of red oak for $1.25 a bd foot and right at 200 bd foot of the african mahogany for .$75 cents a bd foot!

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to make out of the mahogany. Below are a couple of poor quality pics to prove that it happened, the misc scrap and glued up pieces laying on top were thrown in as freebies.

Van Huskey
02-27-2010, 1:56 PM
Nice haul you got!

Jim Mattheiss
02-27-2010, 6:33 PM
Logan:

Nice haul on the lumber.

I also like the carpet in the shop!

Cheers

Jim

Neil Brooks
02-27-2010, 6:34 PM
I'm in the midst of a two-shaker-style-night-stand love affair with African Mahogany.

So ... from my understanding ... the appropriate response, here, is ... you suck :)

Logan William
02-27-2010, 7:05 PM
Logan:

Nice haul on the lumber.

I also like the carpet in the shop!

Cheers

Jim

I wondered if anyone would comment on the attractive carpet straight from the 70's. My 2 car garage/shop is too small to store my wood in so I keep it in the basement, this just happens to be the first room off the garage and will work just fine for wood storage until I get up enough energy to move it down to the basement....hopefully that will happen tomorrow.

Neil:
Hey night stands happen to be the first things I'm thinking of making with this as well! Should give me an idea of how its going to behave before I start a larger scale project....which I think will be a simple bedframe.

Neil Brooks
02-27-2010, 7:27 PM
Neil:
Hey night stands happen to be the first things I'm thinking of making with this as well! Should give me an idea of how its going to behave before I start a larger scale project....which I think will be a simple bedframe.

Logan,

a) Here's just one idea/glimpse into the future for ya'

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/S3DZ9ypsZnI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/P-KRr2L0bVk/s512/NS1_Glue_Up%20%283%29.JPG

No finish on it, yet. Torn between waiting for spring and finishing in my basement shop.

Think LOML has an AM bed on MY to-do list, too :)

b) I've had to be a *little bit* careful on the router and the jointer to avoid tear-out, but ... only on the first couple of pieces. Beyond that -- slowER feed rate on my Bosch 4100 notwithstanding -- it's been a pure joy to work

c) For ME, it was really putting my sinuses through their paces. A quick Google shows it can be a bad one. I got a 3M 7500 series respirator and a JDS air filtration unit, and ... as of the first glue-up of the second night stand ... smooth sailing.

Happy building! It's really a beautiful wood. For me, nice consistent grain, a shimmering quality to the planed pieces, and not noticeably hard on the hardware.

mike johnston
03-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Logan, just curious as to where abouts in sw Iowa you live. I live about 25 miles north of Council Bluffs.

Mike Johnston