PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw motor question

John Sartoris
02-27-2010, 1:36 PM
First off, let me say hello to everyone. This is my first post on this great forum.

I just bought a used Unisaw #34-466, in great condition. I have a question about the motor. When it is turned off, sometimes it comes to an abrupt stop (rather than "coasting down"). Did this motor (Baldor) have some kind of breaking system? Seems odd that this abrupt stop doesn't happen every time the motor is turned off.

Do I need to be concerned? Thanks for any info any of you may have on these "older" unisaw motors.

Leo Graywacz
02-27-2010, 1:49 PM
That is normal

John Sartoris
02-27-2010, 2:45 PM
Thanks Leo! That sets my mind at ease. I'm still curious however why it only does this occasionally.

Leo Graywacz
02-27-2010, 2:50 PM
Without hearing/seeing it happen hard to tell.

I know that my saw doen't glide to a stop. Slows down pretty quick. The saw has 3 belts on it that produce quite a bit of rolling resistance.

Pete Bradley
02-27-2010, 6:22 PM
If the motor doesn't have a brake on it, someone's going to explain how that is 'normal'. My experience is mostly with big old motors, but if some shutdowns coast and some don't with the same blade, I'd be suspicious of a bad bearing or a bad brake (if you have one).

Pete