PDA

View Full Version : Porter-Cable Plunge Router Base, Caveat Emptor

michael case
02-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Dear Creekers,

I recently Bought the 893pk router package from Porter-Cable. The plunge base had so much slop in the slide that it was a joke. I sent the following inquiry to Porter-Cable and was automatically redirected to the stock answer page. In the common interest I wish to share the following.

To Porter Cable:

I recently purchased the 893pk router package. I discovered that the 8931 plunge base has 1/32" of slop in the bushing on the secondary guide rod. I went back to the store and discovered that all the display models also shared this defect. Your engineers have to know that this much play in the plunge guides renders this base absolutely useless for centering mortises or any other work which requires repeatable accuracy. In short, it is an unacceptable wood working tool. I consider the 890 series to have the best ergonomic design of any mid-sized router. Unfortunately, while the fixed base is fine the plunge base as it is now manufactured has no place in the wood shop. The inherent inaccuracy will lead to endless misalignment of joints and hours of wasted effort and substantial wastage of stock. I would truly love to own this product if this problem is corrected. Is Porter Cable aware of this deficiency and are there any plans to correct it?

I was then automatically redirected to the stock answer and question cue:

Here is the Official Stock Answer I received from Porter Cable:

Stock Question:

“There is an unacceptable amount of lateral deflection of the bit when plunging. How do I fix this?”

Stock Answer:

“Plunge routers typically have lateral movement where stationary units do not. When performing plunge operations use a bit that has a point. A spiral bit is also preferred over a straight-fluted bit. These bit configurations will aid in minimizing lateral deflection.”

To further minimize lateral movement, lock the unit before making the plunge. Then slightly loosen the lock enough to allow the plunge.

If you continue to experience excessive lateral movement, contact your nearest service center.

Click Here to locate your nearest service center

Please note everybody, IMO this is nonsense. IMO Plunge routers do not “typically have lateral movement". My Bosch doesn’t. Its rock solid. My Hitachi doesn’t. Its rock solid. The Porter Cable I purchased does. IMO what they should say is Porter Cable (at least the 8931) has lateral movement. And think about the "lock the unit before making the plunge" recommendation! They have to be aware of the problem since they have a stock answer all ready to launch. You can decide for yourself if you want to buy this product. I returned mine.

Joe Scharle
02-27-2010, 1:02 PM
Welcome to the world of Black & Decker!

Chip Lindley
02-27-2010, 1:11 PM
Return the Plunge Router for Refund. B&D will get the message! (probably later than sooner)

Look for an earlier P-C 693 plunge router. 1.5 hp is plenty for most jobs. If you need MORE, the P-C 7538 is a Hawg! Both can be found on eBay or CL gently used, at attractive prices.

Norman Pyles
02-27-2010, 1:59 PM
PC made two different plunge bases for this router. The first one was not so good, but after B&D bought them out they put the DW 618 plunge base on the 890. I wonder if you got one of the old style bases. The new bases have different size posts.

Edit to add; The posts on the old style bases were black, the new style has shiny chrome posts.

michael case
02-27-2010, 3:14 PM
Norman,

Sorry to say this is the new model with the two different posts. I already own the fixed base model and loved the design. I wanted keep my first PC router as a dedicated dovetailing router with the bit and collet more less permanently installed. I liked the ergonomics of the design so much I got another Porter-Cable with both the fixed and plunge base even though I already own a nice Bosch combo. I was going to sell my Bosch combo after replacing it with the Porter-Cable combo with the new plunge base. There is no way on Earth that's going to happen now! Let me emphasize that my Bosch plunge base is rock solid there is no "lateral movement." The same is true of my three hp Hitachi plunge router. The answer from Porter-Cable about lateral movement is pure BS. Quality plunge routers and plunge bases do not have any noticeable lateral movement. They do not allow the bit to wobble all over the place while plunging, period! Joe Scharle got it right
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1357717)

Curt Harms
02-27-2010, 4:46 PM
Norman,

Sorry to say this is the new model with the two different posts. I already own the fixed base model and loved the design. I wanted keep my first PC router as a dedicated dovetailing router with the bit and collet more less permanently installed. I liked the ergonomics of the design so much I got another Porter-Cable with both the fixed and plunge base even though I already own a nice Bosch combo. I was going to sell my Bosch combo after replacing it with the Porter-Cable combo with the new plunge base. There is no way on Earth that's going to happen now! Let me emphasize that my Bosch plunge base is rock solid there is no "lateral movement." The same is true of my three hp Hitachi plunge router. The answer from Porter-Cable about lateral movement is pure BS. Quality plunge routers and plunge bases do not have any noticeable lateral movement. They do not allow the bit to wobble all over the place while plunging, period! Joe Scharle got it right
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1357717)

That sucks!! This is the one with through-the-post dust collection like the DW-618? I bought one not long after they came out and there's no slop.

glenn bradley
02-27-2010, 10:14 PM
"Plunge routers typically have lateral movement where stationary units do not." :confused: . . . . :eek: . . . . :rolleyes: . . . . :D:D:D . . . Oh, I get it now;

Boo-whaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. That's rich. You guys kill me. Hee-hee-hee-heh-heh, (gasping and grabbing my sides) Oh hoo-hoo-hoo. Pull the other one; that leg is sore. Ha-ha-ha. . . . :D:D:D . . . whew! OK now, what's the real answer.

michael case
02-28-2010, 5:59 PM
Yeah,

OK I'm not alone. Thats about what I thought of the Porter Cable answer also. Sometimes I need the reality check. Thanks for the humor too. Sometimes I need that as well!

Neil Brooks
02-28-2010, 6:29 PM
No problem with my $69 reconditioned Ryobi plunge router.

NOT a cool response from the company -- proactively trying to tell you why your product shouldn't work ... the way it should work??

Boo. :(

Jay Jeffery
02-28-2010, 9:34 PM
Porter Cable customer service is pretty lousy. I wanted to know the min material thickness a lock miter router bit was designed for. I sent an email and got a canned response sting the carbide height. Anyone with any sence knows that how long the carbide is tells you nothing about how thin the material can be and still have the joint work. I wrote back that the apparently automated response had not answered my question and to give me a call.

They did call a week or so later. All the guy could tell me was the length of the carbide. The person who called did not seem to know much about router bits.

I ordered the bit anyways and when it arrived it said right on the front of the package in bold lettering "Min thickness 3/8 in."

Very unimpressed.

michael case
03-02-2010, 7:21 PM
Yeah,

They can a a lot of BS evidently.

michael case
04-01-2010, 8:29 AM
Gee, Maybe I should buy a Ryobi instead of paying top dollar for built in flaws

Paul Greathouse
04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Michael

If you want to stay with PC, do as Chip suggested and get the older 690 series stuff. I just made some really great looking fluted trim with my old 690 plunge base attached to a shop made jig. No detectable deflection whatsoever.

I like my Dewalt 621 dedicated plunge router better but it was set up for another job at the time.

IMHO the Porter Cable name was ruined when it was bought by Black and
Decker. Its sad that B&D has used the PC name to market a line of junk weekend warrior tools. Whats worse is they have now introduced a level of doubt associated with the good line of tools that are still produced under the PC name (IE: PC7518 router and others). Thats one of the reasons that I went with Milwaukee when adding another 3 1/2hp fixed base router to my shop.

Curt Harms
04-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Gee, Maybe I should buy a Ryobi instead of paying top dollar for built in flaws

Or Bosch or Milwaukee or.............
I've bought quite a bit of stuff by Porter-Cable. They're no longer my first (or second) choice, sorry to say. Even on the decent stuff they still make I'm concerned about parts availability in a few years. I have a PC-350 FR type2 framing nailer I bought used a few years ago. I was looking at the parts list and the 'head' and gasket between the head and lower part have been discontinued and are no longer available. Same with the speed control units for the 7529/8529 routers. Too bad, another good American brand down the tubes.

Wayne A Hall
04-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I use to buy only Porter Cable tools. Have had bad luck with the current models. Wouldn't waste my time and money anymore. Delta parts sucks too.

Curt Harms
04-02-2010, 9:23 AM
IMHO the Porter Cable name was ruined when it was bought by Black and
Decker. Its sad that B&D has used the PC name to market a line of junk weekend warrior tools.

Weekend Warrior think:
"But Norm Abram uses Porter Cable & Delta tools. If I buy those same tools I'll be able to do work just like Norm. Same mentality as "If I buy the golf clubs used by [Golf Pro Name Here] I'll be as good a golfer as (she)(he) is."

Nope

To be like Norm, ya need the plaid shirt too:D

michael case
04-05-2010, 3:48 PM
i might use them too if I got them for free like Norm!

Chris Kennedy
04-05-2010, 8:14 PM
Weekend Warrior think:
"But Norm Abram uses Porter Cable & Delta tools. If I buy those same tools I'll be able to do work just like Norm. Same mentality as "If I buy the golf clubs used by [Golf Pro Name Here] I'll be as good a golfer as (she)(he) is."

Nope

To be like Norm, ya need the plaid shirt too:D

I agree -- let's make fun of the weekend warriors. After all, these hobbyists who listen to others who might know more -- say, Norm or Creekers -- are moronic for listening to people who make quality projects.

Please -- the "weekend warriors" have a hell of lot more common sense than this. Check the "Day Jobs" threads both here and in the Lumber Yard -- most of the users here are "weekend warriors." The "weekend warriors" provide a hell of a lot of useful information.

Chris

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-05-2010, 8:34 PM
I'll also say to go with the 690 plunge base. I've had mine for years and love it. No play at all.

Howard Rosenberg
04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
... is the 11-series Makita routers.

Al PC accessories fit the 11-series Makita routers.

I think Makita wanted to out-690-series the 690-series.

Nicer machines on all fronts I feel.

My 2C.

Howard

Curt Harms
04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I agree -- let's make fun of the weekend warriors. After all, these hobbyists who listen to others who might know more -- say, Norm or Creekers -- are moronic for listening to people who make quality projects.

Please -- the "weekend warriors" have a hell of lot more common sense than this. Check the "Day Jobs" threads both here and in the Lumber Yard -- most of the users here are "weekend warriors." The "weekend warriors" provide a hell of a lot of useful information.

Chris

I are one:D. What I was thinking of is those who take the "If I had Norm's tools and shop, I could build that highboy or chest-on-chest even though I barely know a table saw from a router. I If I buy this thing, I can skip the study and skill building." I know a few who think exactly like that.