PDA

View Full Version : Over the weekend--8 pics

Gary Max
10-31-2004, 5:54 PM
This is the first time I have ever had to get a tread posted but I just couldn't stand it anymore. She is 14 1/2 round and 4 3/4 deep. The wood is so destressed that the walls are 1 inch plus thick. There are so many knots --burls--twist--bark inclusions ---I was not sure it would even stay together.
After a day of gentle loving care is was able to bring this bowl out of the peice of wood. It has 2 coats of poly on it now---far from done. This chunk of wood has been sitting in the corner of my shop for three years.
We sold a bunch of my our bowls at the last show we had and I am trying to get my stock built back up.

The second bowl is Walnut---just trying something different for me:)

Gary Max
10-31-2004, 5:57 PM
here is the walnut

Charles McKinley
10-31-2004, 7:08 PM
Very nice looking bowls Gary! I really liked the lip on the first one that makes the sides look really thick.

Christopher Pine
10-31-2004, 8:28 PM
The first bowl indeed looks like it might come apart! Nice job.
chris

Michael Stafford
10-31-2004, 8:35 PM
Gary, the cedar bowl is a one of a kind and is very unique. Quite attractive. Please post pictures when you have completely finished it. You mentioned that you had to "baby" it because of all the defects in it. Did you have to consolidate any of the defects with superglue? When you turn a unique piece like this does it go into your private collection or is it for sale also?

The walnut bowl looks good but the cedar bowl is spectacular. ;)

Gary Max
10-31-2004, 8:45 PM
Mike we aint got no collection---just a mailman that keeps bringing MORE bills.
I have been known to CA or even epoxy spots but not on the peice.
I really was worried the whole thing would just crumbleing apart on the lathe.
It's not fragile now and when it gets several coats of poly it will get even harder.
I will post a couple of pics when SWMBO gets done with it.

Glenn Hodges
11-01-2004, 11:54 AM
I sure do like the lip on that cedar bowl.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-01-2004, 11:39 PM
You better get to work again, those won't be here long!

Great work. I'm getting to like cedar a lot!

Bruce