PDA

View Full Version : woodturning...well, almost?

Steve Vaughan
02-27-2010, 12:12 PM
After I got my new lathe last year, I saw some articles on some woodturners turning alabaster and soapstone on their woodlathes. Thought I'd give it a try with a piece of soapstone I picked up at a quarry here in VA. Anyone else ever done a piece? This one is 4 1/4" in diameter and 3" high.

This piece turned pretty easily, but very, very slow going. I turned at about 300 rpm and used carbide tooling bits I had laying around held in visegrips on my toolrest. A good mask and good vacuuming are an absolute must as soapstone creates really fine dust.

Ted Calver
02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Nice Steve! I have done some soapstone carving but haven't turned any. I'm guessing it's similar to alabaster? Care to share your source?

Dick Strauss
02-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Steve,
Your first piece looks nice. I've turned both soapstone and alabaster. The NH Soapstone I turned much easier to turn and sand than the alabaster I purchased (it was white with very hard black quartz streaks IIRC). The NH soapstone had a coarser grain to it than your local stuff.

The dust from both will make it so that your tailstock doesn't move smoothly. After you are done, make sure you clean the whole lathe bed to get rid of all that grit!

Kenneth Hertzog
02-27-2010, 1:34 PM
Steve
looks good
I"ll bet it took a loooooong time to hollow out.
I bought some from Colorado Alabaster last year
have not turned it yet but I'm getting closer.
Ken

Steve Vaughan
02-27-2010, 1:53 PM
Thanks, guys. I was surprised how many folks do turn the stuff. It was fun to work, but I'm not sure I'll turn anymore. I might if I can pick up a softer piece. This piece came from the Alberene Soapstone Company in Schuyler, VA (pronouced sky-ler). It's the real-town home of the Walton's if you remember them from TV. Here's the website: http://soapstoneventures.com/

If anyone's interested and lives in the area, or even passing through, you can pick up one piece from their 'trash' pile for free. If you want more, you can load all you wish in your pick-up for about $75 bucks. It is seriously heavy though, I think about 18 pounds a square foot, 1 1/4" thick.

I'm thinking about turning a small knob to glue on top of it. I mounted this piece by using construction adhesive on a piece of plywood, which I then screwed to a faceplate.

Dust wipe-down on your lathe is absolutely a must. From what I've read, the turning is similar to alabaster and you can get some difference in hardness from the same quarry.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2010, 3:28 PM
That is a great looking piece. I have never turned any of that. Looks interesting.