PDA

View Full Version : Set Screw For Talon Adaptor?

Eric Jacobson
02-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm ready to start playing with reverse on my new PM 3520B. Apparently I need to lock down my Talon chuck using a set screw before I spin in reverse, right?

Should a set screw have come with my Talon spindle adapter? I don't think I got one in the box. The funny thing is, I do have a set screw from the spindle adapter I used previously on my Shopsmith. However, the set screw does not screw into the set screw holes on my new PM 1-1/4"-8TPI Talon spindle adaptor...it starts screwing in then stops, like the threads are different.

Any suggestions?

Steve Schlumpf
02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Eric - the set screws came with my adapter. Any chance they are still in the box? Seems strange that they were not already in the adapter.

You could always give Oneway a call (1-800-565-7288) to find out what the thread size is for the set screws - or take the chuck to your local hardware and find a fit through trial and error.

Ted Calver
02-27-2010, 12:39 PM
I am constantly losing the set screws from chucks and kelton tool handles and other lathe stuff. Finally went to my Ace Hardware and stockpiled a selection for just a few dollars. At the same time I bought some of the non permanent Locktite and that is working well.

Bruce Smith
02-27-2010, 12:52 PM
If you are talking about the two screws that hold the taperlock adapter to the chuck, there should be two screws. I can't remember if they are packaged with the chuck or the taperlock adapter. They are metric M5 -20 hex socket screw and they take a 4mm allen wrench. Be sure and thighten the screws alternately so the adapter will be pulled straight into the chuck. Also thread the screws into the correct hole as two of the holes are threaded for jack screws, for removal of the adapter. Hope this is the information you are looking for. GOOD LUCK

Alan Zenreich
02-27-2010, 1:36 PM
No he's talking about the set screw that locks the taperlock adapter to the spindle (keeps the chuck from loosening from the lathe spindle when turning in reverse).

My adapter didn't come with the set screws either, and I'm going to the hardware store with the adapter to see if I can locate the correct size.

Ryan Baker
02-27-2010, 3:01 PM
I don't remember getting the set screws with my Oneway adapters either, but they might be there somewhere. I don't use them anyway. They are metric thread.

Before you put them in, check to be sure that they will clear the spindle threads and seat on the flat area of the spindle. At least one of my Oneway adapters is positioned such that the set screw would smash the spindle thread. My other one will, I think, just barely clear the threads, but I haven't tried it yet. The same thing can happen with Nova inserts, though I think all of mine clear OK.

Mike Stephens
02-27-2010, 4:29 PM
Ive bought 3 OW chucks, with 3 taper lock adapters and none of them came with the screws to lock the chuck to the spindle.:confused:

Alan Zenreich
02-27-2010, 4:45 PM
Ok, just back from the hardware store.

Here's what works:

Metric
M8x12 mm Allen Head Set Screw
1.25 pitch

These are 8mm wide x 12mm long black set screws.

At my hardware store, they were about $1 each.

Hoe this helps.

Keith Harrell
02-27-2010, 4:52 PM
Thanks Alan. My talon didn't come with them either and I have wanted to look for them at the hardware but never knew what I needed.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-27-2010, 8:26 PM
You are correct Eric, the Talon and Stronghold adapters for the Shopsmith have non metric setscrews (⁵/₁₆ - 18 tpi), it was done to keep the setscrew the same as in all the other accessories that are used like that on the plain shaft of the Shopsmith, all other Oneway chuck adapter have the standard 8mm setscrews.
I have never had a setscrew come with any of my Stronghold or Talon chucks HTH

Eric Jacobson
02-28-2010, 9:56 PM
Thanks, guys. I stopped by Highland Hardware today and got a couple metric set screws that fit. Afterwards, I was finally able to do some sanding in reverse finally.

Leo, thanks for your explanation about the Shopsmith adaptor. I feel better now...it even makes sense.

Thomas Canfield
03-01-2010, 10:30 PM
A word of caution when using the set screws. Don't use with a frictionless washer against the headstock or you might end up having the set screw seat on the threads. Don't ask me how I know. I had to remove the washer on my Powermatic today to mount a faceplate that I wanted to use the set screw with since the piece was over 50# and I have had a smaller piece unscrew when stopping the lathe.

Sherwood Smith
07-26-2011, 6:45 AM
I'm ready to start playing with reverse on my new PM 3520B. Apparently I need to lock down my Talon chuck using a set screw before I spin in reverse, right?

Should a set screw have come with my Talon spindle adapter? I don't think I got one in the box. The funny thing is, I do have a set screw from the spindle adapter I used previously on my Shopsmith. However, the set screw does not screw into the set screw holes on my new PM 1-1/4"-8TPI Talon spindle adaptor...it starts screwing in then stops, like the threads are different.

Any suggestions?

I have purchased 4 Oneway adapters for my Talon chucks over the past 3 months and none came with set screws. (I know this is an old post).

Dan Hintz
07-26-2011, 7:56 AM
A word of caution when using the set screws. Don't use with a frictionless washer against the headstock or you might end up having the set screw seat on the threads.
I'm glad this thread popped back up... I just added one of these washers to my latest supply order, so I had better look closely before installing.

BTW, I believe my Stronghold came with the setscrew...

Sherwood Smith
07-26-2011, 9:38 AM
I'm glad this thread popped back up... I just added one of these washers to my latest supply order, so I had better look closely before installing.

BTW, I believe my Stronghold came with the setscrew...

Lowes only had standard sizes, a local HW store had the correct size set screw for the Oneway adapters...(M8 1.25 x 12).....these fit flush with the adapter once snugged in. I read on another forum that Oneway quit supplying the set screw because some would use them on spindles that had threads all the way to the end of the shaft and mess up the threads, then they wanted to blame Oneway. My Jet 1642 has about 1/4 in of non threaded shaft at the headstock allowing the screw to take hold.

jeff schnell
07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Also a word of warning, I have a Rim chuck and it had 2 set screws only losened up one on them and tried to take it off and the other screw chewed up my threads by the head stock.

Josh Bowman
07-26-2011, 7:06 PM
When I ordered my talon chuck from Highland Hardware (atlanta ga) it came with no screws. I called and asked and they said, they would send me some, but the reason they did not include them was they were afraid you would mess up you threads on the drive. I use mine on every turning, it makes it easy to get the chuck off.