PDA

View Full Version : LN Low Angle Jack and "Hot Dog"

Tom Winship
02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Has anyone here purchased the "hot dog" for the LN LAJ to use with their shooting board. After getting my LAJ and building a shooting board, my shooting board works well, however, as others have found it is uncomfortable to hold the plane.

Jim Koepke had a similar thread using a handle that he had made on a Stanley #4 (I believe). Has anyone made something similar for the LN LAJ? Jim I know you said you ordered your LAJ last weekend; did you get the hot dog also?

Tom

Jim Barrett
02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi Tom,
I purchased the LN #62 yesterday at the LN tool event and also the Hotdog...unfortunately they did not have one at the show to sell so they will be shipping it to me next week. It is pretty expensive for what you get but if it makes using the shooting board easier to use it will be worth it in the long run.

Jim

Tom Winship
02-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I agree, Jim. What are they made of? Metal or synthetic? Are they held in place with a set screw or how does that work?
Thanks,
Tom

lowell holmes
02-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Or you can make one.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/A%20Hotdog%20for%20the%20LV%20LAJ1.html

Jim Barrett
02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
They are held in place with a setscrew..I think they are synthetic...not sure though.

Jim

Jim McFarland
02-27-2010, 1:44 PM
<snip> What are they made of? Metal or synthetic? <snip>

I bought one a year ago and it is metal -- aluminum if I had to guess (silver color in unpainted slot, seems light for the size and not magnetic).

Jim Koepke
02-27-2010, 4:37 PM
There is a set screw in the hot dog. I was told the hot dog is made of aluminum.

I made one from a piece of wood left over from working on the lathe.

Here is the post with the final design:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1320425#poststop

It is held in place by friction and being up against the frog on a #5-1/2 or a #6 plane. It actually works well and makes using one of these "standard" bench planes comfortable for shooting end grain.

jim

David Keller NC
02-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I can't comment on the LN LA jack, as I don't have a "hotdog" for mine, but I do have the #9 miter plane with a hotdog, and can confirm that it's a very useful addition to the plane - I would not be without it.