PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Canister

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Well got the final coat of finish on the prototype canister I made. Finish is Antique oil with 3 coats of rattle can gloss poly. 5" across and 4" tall. With the final it s 5". So in the next few weeks I will probably be doing a maple set and pecan set. I got some nice pecan coming from Mike Smith and some great looking maple from Washington state. Walnut in 8" square and 10" to 12" long is hard to find and especially that won't break the bank.

Steve Mawson
02-27-2010, 10:20 AM
These will certainly be a nice set or sets. Hope the incoming wood will be perfect for what you are making. What are you finishing the inside with?

John Keeton
02-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Bernie, that sure finished out nice! Of course, with walnut and curly maple, it is a sure winner for me!!:D I think you will be very pleased with the pecan from Mike. I mentioned to you that I bought a piece of spalted pecan from him, and roughed it out a few days ago and it is beautiful.

Brian Effinger
02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Looks great, Bernie. Form-wise, every component fits together perfectly. I especially like the end grain flat top - really cool. :cool:

Brian

Mike Peace
02-27-2010, 9:30 PM
Are you getting dry wood or rough turning, drying and returning?

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the comments.

John, Mike thought pecan would show better than the ambrosia maple he had. Those were my two choices for the big 8 X 8 X 12 pieces I am getting.

Mike I am roughing them to about 3/4" thick, drying and then return to finish.

Steve Schlumpf
02-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Looks really nice Bernie! I can see how that size wood could pose a problem - especially if you don't have trees like that growing in your area!

Bill Bolen
02-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Great cannister Bernie. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole set lined up. Enjoy...Bill..