PDA

View Full Version : The Wait Is Almost Over

Jarrett Sadowsky
02-26-2010, 11:35 PM
First of all I would like to thank all of you who post and contribute to this forum. The wealth of knowledge and information is incredible!!

I found SMC just before Christmas when I was researching lathes. I had my eyes set on a mini lathe, but after reading numerous posts, I was convinced that I would probably outgrow a small lathe sooner than I had thought. So, I narrowed my search down to the Nova 1624. I was ready to purchase the lathe, but I knew that as soon as it arrived all of the other projects that need to be finished would be put on the back burner, so I decided to wait.

So I waited, but while waiting I have been enjoying all of the photos that are being posted of completed projects. I also enjoyed watching John Keeton get pulled into the "Vortex" as you call it. I guess that I am half way (or more) in as well.

In the mean time I thought that it would be a good idea to start purchasing all of the accessories. So, I purchased a couple of Doug Thompson's gouges, a SuperNova2 chuck, Woodcraft slow speed grinder, Wolverine Sharpening System, calipers, drill chuck, etc., etc.

So, today I took the plunge, and took advantage of the 10% sale at Woodcraft and ordered the Nova 1624. It won't be easy waiting, especially watching John turn out a bowl a day.

I hope to be posting pictures soon, and learning from all of you here at SMC.

Jarrett Sadowsky

By the way, I haven't finished any of the projects that I was hoping to finish before the lathe purchase. I guess they will get worked in while I am waiting for roughed out bowls to dry.:D

Gary Chester
02-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote "By the way, I haven't finished any of the projects that I was hoping to finish before the lathe purchase" unquote

Ya... you can forget about that stuff........................... nutin' but turnin from now on...

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Yea, yea, yea in between bowls. Right uh-huh. Been there done that. Some are still waiting 4 yrs later.:eek::D

Congrats on the new lathe. You will love it. Happy turning.

alex carey
02-27-2010, 3:34 AM
Congrats on the lathe, you'll love it as much as Keeton, i guarantee it.

Where about so cal are you from.

John Keeton
02-27-2010, 7:08 AM
I also enjoyed watching John Keeton get pulled into the "Vortex" as you call it. I guess that I am half way (or more) in as well. ONCE YOU PASS OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE, ALL IS LOST!!

By the way, I haven't finished any of the projects that I was hoping to finish before the lathe purchase. I guess they will get worked in while I am waiting for roughed out bowls to dry.:D Jarrett, I remember reciting those ridicuous thoughts, too!! Yesterday, after being asked 3 times over the last couple of weeks, I finally sharpened all the kitchen knives - a task I used to do without being asked. I have taken to turning on all my power tools once in awhile to make sure they still work. Even opened my plane/chisel till the other day just to say HI! and make sure they were comfortable and still recognized me!:o

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but life as you know it now is gone. It is over! I told another creeker I now suffer from NON-positional vertigo. If I am not positioned in front of my lathe, the whole world spins.:eek: Horrible condition!

There are support groups, I understand..... My friends are planning an intervention.....

Matt Ranum
02-27-2010, 9:27 AM
NON-positional vertigo

:p:p:D:D Never heard that one before ;)

Jarrett Sadowsky
02-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Just up the road from you in Lancaster.

Steve Mawson
02-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Get ready for lots of fun!!!:p

bob svoboda
02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Just sit back and enjoy the spin. Congratulations on your new lathe.

Steve Vaughan
02-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote "By the way, I haven't finished any of the projects that I was hoping to finish before the lathe purchase" unquote

Ya... you can forget about that stuff........................... nutin' but turnin from now on...

'tis true, it is.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Jarrett, I remember reciting those ridicuous thoughts, too!! Yesterday, after being asked 3 times over the last couple of weeks, I finally sharpened all the kitchen knives - a task I used to do without being asked. I have taken to turning on all my power tools once in awhile to make sure they still work. Even opened my plane/chisel till the other day just to say HI! and make sure they were comfortable and still recognized me!:o

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but life as you know it now is gone. It is over! I told another creeker I now suffer from NON-positional vertigo. If I am not positioned in front of my lathe, the whole world spins.:eek: Horrible condition!

There are support groups, I understand..... My friends are planning an intervention.....

Har.....Har.......Har......Har.....!

Jarrett,

This won't hurt a bit!

Step right in said the spider to the fly!:eek::rolleyes:

Matt Owen
02-27-2010, 1:09 PM
Congratulations on the lathe! I have the DVR XP, and love it. I'm sure you will feel the same way about the 1624-44.

Matt

Bob Haverstock
02-27-2010, 5:30 PM
First of all I would like to thank all of you who post and contribute to this forum. The wealth of knowledge and information is incredible!!

I found SMC just before Christmas when I was researching lathes. I had my eyes set on a mini lathe, but after reading numerous posts, I was convinced that I would probably outgrow a small lathe sooner than I had thought. So, I narrowed my search down to the Nova 1624. I was ready to purchase the lathe, but I knew that as soon as it arrived all of the other projects that need to be finished would be put on the back burner, so I decided to wait.

So I waited, but while waiting I have been enjoying all of the photos that are being posted of completed projects. I also enjoyed watching John Keeton get pulled into the "Vortex" as you call it. I guess that I am half way (or more) in as well.

In the mean time I thought that it would be a good idea to start purchasing all of the accessories. So, I purchased a couple of Doug Thompson's gouges, a SuperNova2 chuck, Woodcraft slow speed grinder, Wolverine Sharpening System, calipers, drill chuck, etc., etc.

So, today I took the plunge, and took advantage of the 10% sale at Woodcraft and ordered the Nova 1624. It won't be easy waiting, especially watching John turn out a bowl a day.

I hope to be posting pictures soon, and learning from all of you here at SMC.

Jarrett Sadowsky

By the way, I haven't finished any of the projects that I was hoping to finish before the lathe purchase. I guess they will get worked in while I am waiting for roughed out bowls to dry.:D

Jarrett,

I bought a Nova 1624-44 two weeks ago. So far, I'm really impressed with it. I also bought a Wood River chuck and jaws for it. That chuck is a real value for the money. A bed extenstion was part of the deal. So far, I logged about 20 hours on it. It is quite a chance from my midi lathe. I've adapted my Jeff Nicol steady rest to it. Now, I want bigger blanks!

Bob