PDA

View Full Version : #18 "Rustic Ripples" - Claro

John Keeton
02-26-2010, 8:46 PM
I tried to tell you all you would get sick of these postings. This pace will slow down come spring - I promise!! You won't have to tolerate this much longer!:o

I mentioned the piece of Claro that I wanted to use with some curly maple for a lidded piece, but it had cracks, etc. I wanted to finish it out anyway, but this piece just did not want to be a bowl! Not only was it checked badly, but after I had the outside shaped, I chucked it in the recess, and the recess broke out as I started hollowing the bowl.:mad:

Had to screw on a faceplate, re-turn the outside to a lower profile, and redo the bottom with the recess.

The checks still showed badly, so I filled them with some coffee grounds - still wasn't very good as the wood had darkened over time around the checks.

The bowl would never look "refined" so I decided to try something different and beaded the outside with graduated beads - thus, the name "Rustic Ripples!":D

With the coloration and checking, it is surely a rustic bowl. And again, a bunch of you may not care for this one, either. But, I just wanted to save this piece of wood.

So, here it is -

James Combs
02-26-2010, 8:55 PM
John your in a class by your self;). Great save don't let any wood go to waste if it can be helped.

BTW I'm curious about your circular tags. Do you make those or are they something you purchase.? Was thinking about buy a hot stamp (branding iron) but the circles have some class to them.

With the coloration and checking, it is surely a rustic bowl. And again, a bunch of you may not care for this one, either. But, I just wanted to save this piece of wood.

Steve Mawson
02-26-2010, 9:01 PM
John,
Well worth saving this one. The cracks do not bother me at all. I have turned some wood full of worm holes and cracks. Perhaps it is not for the fancy shelf but still a very nice bowl. You added to it nicely with the lower beads. Very glad you chose to finish and post.

Roland Martin
02-26-2010, 9:06 PM
Nice save John. Even with the checks, this is a very interesting piece. The colors of the claro are great. The "ripples" are unique @ the bottom of a bowl and it seems to work. I like the shape of the bowl and especially the rim detail. I wouldn't worry about posting too many projects, IMO, that's what the forum is all about. Keep 'um coming!

gary Zimmel
02-26-2010, 9:07 PM
The production coming off that lathe is unreal....
You have to watch it you may wear it out before the end of the year.:D
Number 18 is yet another winner.
And walnut too boot.

John Keeton
02-26-2010, 9:10 PM
Thanks, guys, the production has to slow down this weekend!! I have to empty the dust collector, and clean up!!! Also need to get some finish on the last 2 or 3 bowls.

Then, I just gotta find something to do with these things - the house is getting....well, full of bowls!:eek:

JD, I had responded to your question on the Chinaberry thread, so I cut and pasted it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Combs http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1356175#post1356175)
BTW do you make your little "signature rings" or purchase them?

These are 1.5" maple and cherry medallions that have been cut with a laser, and recessed for a penny. Can't find any 2010 pennies yet! Another creeker, George Perzel, made them for me, but I am sure you could get someone local with a laser machine to do them. These aren't plywood - they are cut from solid stock.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

James Combs
02-26-2010, 9:23 PM
Thanks John, I caught the other post right after I posted on this one.

Thanks, guys, the production has to slow down this weekend!! I have to empty the dust collector, and clean up!!! Also need to get some finish on the last 2 or 3 bowls.

Then, I just gotta find something to do with these things - the house is getting....well, full of bowls!:eek:

JD, I had responded to your question on the Chinaberry thread, so I cut and pasted it here.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

David E Keller
02-26-2010, 9:59 PM
That's another pretty piece of wood. I'm not sure I like the ripples, but I really like this piece for another reason... It's different than all the others. And, all the others are originials in their own right. Your creativity and willingness to change form and style is pretty impressive. So while I don't like this piece as much as some of your others, I really appreciate it as part of the series that you've been so kind to share.

I'm actually enjoying your postings and will be sorry if the spring slowdown occurs as you've predicted. Bring on #19...

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Well John it looks like you are enjoying the Claro that I couldn't buy because you got it all.:eek::D Just kidding.

John I like that bowl. Really nice bottom and rim.

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Very nice bowl John! Very pretty wood! Interesting use of rings... fits the color and style real nice! Anyone asks - the rings just make it easier to hang onto!

Looking forward to seeing #19!

Curt Fuller
02-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Another good looking bowl! Makes me wonder what it would have looked like if things hadn't gone haywire on the original form. It's good that the wood gives us a second chance sometimes.

Gary Chester
02-26-2010, 11:38 PM
To be honest... I would rather see checks/cracks filled with coffee'd epoxy or whatever... rather than an attempt to hide the natural beauty that some may regard as "flawed" wood.

Don't get me wrong... I love the flawless turnings you have shown us... but I like that raw stuff too.

Keep showing us what you've got... we're all learning from you!

Tony De Masi
02-27-2010, 7:17 AM
Very nice again John. Great piece of wood and I like the ring treatment you used. I hope you don't get the DT's this weekend:D

Tony

Rob Cunningham
02-27-2010, 9:01 AM
Good save John. I like the overall shape and the ripples add a nice detail.

Doug W Swanson
02-27-2010, 9:39 AM

John,

Nice save with the cracks. They don't bother me at all. I really like the color and the rim.

If you are looking for a place for your extra turnings, you can send them my way!

Doug

Wes Henson
02-27-2010, 9:48 AM
John,
Your work is amazing. The other pieces I've seen from you are beautiful in a showroom way. This piece to me says come pick me up. The inside hollow and the lip, I think are what does it. So maybe that classifies it as "rustic" or "raw" But I could see this actually being used on a daily basis.
The only critique i would offer is that I'd like to see a deeper re-curve on the outside. It is almost straight, I think that would set off the lip a little more. Though as a look closer, picture #2 which would probably be a normal viewing angle for something on a coffee table looks about right.
Great piece, good save. The beads look good and you have quite a touch for interesting rims. Thanks for posting – very inspiring.

Hopefully I’ll be able to make something of this quality soon.

Ken Glass
02-27-2010, 10:13 AM
John,
Great save and re-design. We all have done it a time or two. It is great to take on challenging woods and you have come out the winner on this one. Great job on a fine looking bowl with character.

Brian Effinger
02-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Nice bowl, John. Of course I like the ogee form, and love the uncomplicated rim. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the beads, though. But hey, experimentation is half the fun of turning.

Well done, and I can't wait to see number 19. :)

Brian

Donny Lawson
02-27-2010, 12:06 PM
I still think it's nice work.
Donny

George Guadiane
02-27-2010, 7:48 PM
John,
I sense you making the woodturner's biggest mistake - "apologizing" before anyone complains.
The bowl looks very nice, and remember, IT'S WOOD. It doesn't always do what we want it to.

I LIKE the beads.

John Keeton
02-27-2010, 8:04 PM
Thanks a lot, guys. Ms. Keeton and I have formulated a plan to get rid of some bowls. We are inviting all the kids out tomorrow nite, feeding them (sometimes have to do that to get them to visit!!), and letting them pick a bowl or two. Then, I will have room for more!!:)

Well John it looks like you are enjoying the Claro that I couldn't buy because you got it all.:eek::D Just kidding.Bernie, Mike told me he is working on a deal for 7,000 bd ft of Claro!!!:eek: I told him I just didn't have room for that much!:D I do love the stuff - it turns so well, and finishes nice. Seems to always have figure and character.

I hope you don't get the DT's this weekend:D

TonyTony, I couldn't stand it - already have the lower portion of #19 done!! Is there help out there for someone like me????:confused:

...and remember, IT'S WOOD. It doesn't always do what we want it to.

I LIKE the beads.George, thanks. I have concluded that each blank actually has a mind of its own. I talk to them, plead with them, even yell at them occasionally - never seems to help!