PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hear of a Kimbal; stockmaker's vise?

Doug Carpenter
02-26-2010, 8:13 PM
One was mentioned in a gun forum and I am interested to see one.

anybody know what it is?

Rick Lizek
02-26-2010, 8:22 PM
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003516/25437/WoodRiver-Patternmaker-s-or-Gunstock-Carving-Vise.aspx
I'm betting it's one of these.

John Coloccia
02-26-2010, 8:41 PM
The Kimbal vise is like a serious, heavy duty, Panavise. That's the best way to describe it. Very cool tool if you can find one. I'm familiar with the patent, but I've never actually seen one.

The other one mentioned is usually called a pattern maker's vice, or gunstock vice. It's also great for guitar work. Here's the Cadillac of these kinds of vices:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Vises/Guitar_Repair_Vise.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=2692

I bought a cheap one. I wish I'd bought that one instead. I'll surely upgrade at some point.

Anyhow, that's the only Kimbal vise I know of, and I've never actually seen one.

Doug Carpenter
02-26-2010, 8:59 PM
The one at woodcraft was the one I was going to get. I wonder wich one of the two is better?

I'm curious about the Kimball.

I recently bought a new in the box Zyliss vise on craigslist for $75 bucks.

I kinda felt bad about it because the guy had no idea what he had. He was happy to sell it though.

Someone mentioned the kimball and I was curious.

John Coloccia
03-07-2010, 2:19 AM
Found one. I believe this is what's referred to as the Kimball vice.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Vises/Ultimate_Vise.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=2692

StewMac's a luthier supplier, but they've got an interesting collection of useful tools. I also really like their "dragon" rasps.

Doug Carpenter
03-07-2010, 7:52 AM
Wow John,

That one is cool. 5 browsed that site when you put it up the first time. I saw that vise and didn't think to find out if that is the one they sre talking about. I just posted it one the shotgun forum where all of this came up.

I'll let you know if it is the one he is talking about.

It is pricey but it looks like a good choice anyway even if it isn't the one he is talking about.

I appreciate your research.

I'm going to go look at the dragon files.

Do you make stringed instruments from scratch?

Any use for a duplicator? I bulit a cool one for doing gun stocks. I could show pictures.

John Coloccia
03-07-2010, 9:43 AM
I'd love the see the pictures for the duplicator. I build them from scratch, yes.

That vice wasn't there when I posted it last time. It's a brand new item. I'm not even sure if it's in the latest catalog they just sent me. I just happened to be cruising through, placing an order for hardware and such, and ran across it.

george wilson
03-07-2010, 9:53 AM
The vise was first made in Germany. I bought one from Woodcraft in about 1965 for $40.00. The price kept going up on the German ones until it reached about $250.00.

Sometime ago,they stopped selling them. Then the Taiwan made copies for about $99.00 began to appear. There was also a copy made in Canada which cost more. Another shop near me bought one of them. It was horrible in the VERY LOOSE tolerances. I mean,loose!!!

I've bought about 4 of the Taiwan copies. Only 1 was loose,and I had to put brass sheets under the horizontal sliding arms. The rest were fine.

My old German vise stripped out its nut in the 90's. Fortunately,we found that the nut and screw from a Taiwan made machinist's vise,which had cracked IIRC,would fit with some modifications. Being machinists,we fixed the German vise. I can tell you,the German nut on that old vise was threaded VERY shallow. Just about like the average Chinese vise nuts. It was disappointing to see that on a German vise. I don't think the threads were .015" deep,and that wasn't from wear.

The Stewart MacDonald vise has thrust bearings that the others don't have,and I think it is the best vise of its type out there now. I do wish it didn't have that round hand wheel,though. I think I like the ball crank type better,because I can get a better grip on it for tightening. I can use a few GENTLE taps with a wooden mallet to tighten the short ball crank handle. There isn't much leverage on these short handles.

The jaws swivel,and the vise type was originally called a gun stocker's vise. It is the vise I use more than any other in my shop for tapered stuff like guitar necks,table legs,etc..

John Coloccia
03-07-2010, 9:57 AM
I think you're talking about the first vice I posted. I have a cheap version of that vice, and let me tell you it's an absolute piece of junk. I wish I'd ponied up the $$$ and just bought the StewMac version. They really did a nice job with that vice.

george wilson
03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
In buying any copy of this vise now made in China,it is best to check it out IN PERSON to see if the sliding arms are too loose. They stock them at Woodcraft Supply stores. I also cannot vouch for the quality of the cast iron from China.

Fortunately for me,My older vises were made in Taiwan,and Taiwan is always better. They've been making lathes,etc. for decades now. China is new at it,and quality control is very iffy.

I'm sure Stewart McDonald will stand behind their version,but it may still be Chinese,POSSIBLY Taiwan. You'll still be out the shipping,though,if it is returned,I THINK.

Doug Carpenter
03-08-2010, 8:20 PM
John,

Here is the link to the pics of my duplicator.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120893

The reason I asked aobout your guitar making process is this:

I bought these plans to build the duplicator from copycarver.com On the site there is a guy that talks about using one for his banjos. He makes these incredible banjos. There is a bunch of controversy about homemade duplicators and high end gunstocks. I think that is silly because this guys banjos look like they cost at least as much as a custom built gunstock.

It is a rediculus argument because for the most part you are only roughing the stock on the duplicator. There is a considerable amount hand work to finish it. That being said I believe that this particular design is really accurate if you take care to build it right.

I spoke with him and he uses his for roughing out the necks. Anyway I built mine and I am pretty happy with it. My problem is that I need to bult a material hold that will rotate. I would like it to be timed so they rotate together.