PDA

View Full Version : Burl Gloat!!

Jack Mincey
02-26-2010, 6:57 PM
I receive a call today from a man that works with my brother about the possibility of making two bowls for him in exchange for this burl he had. This is a picture of the little burl. I should get more than 12 bowls from it. His estimate is that it weighs in around 600 pounds. It looks just like the oak burl I had last year. He is going to even bring it to my shop.
Jack
imagehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_3013burl.jpgimage

Joseph M Lary
02-26-2010, 7:09 PM
looks like you need a new coreing system , looks like a good deal to me .:)

Pete Jordan
02-26-2010, 7:16 PM
Definitely use a coring system. That would give you about 48 bowls.

Big congrats!!!!!!

gary Zimmel
02-26-2010, 7:19 PM
Great gloat Jack.
That is one huge burl to me..
Congrats on the score.

Jack Mincey
02-26-2010, 7:24 PM
Thanks guy's, I do plan on coring this bad boy. I can see 3 maybe 4 sets of bowls like this set I did last year.
Jack
http://usera.ImageCave.com/flyrod444/mincey1.jpg

charlie knighton
02-26-2010, 7:59 PM
great gloat, great nest

David E Keller
02-26-2010, 8:01 PM
Great gloat and a nice looking set of nested bowls. Follow up pics of the burl and finished products would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Bolen
02-26-2010, 8:14 PM
Now that is a heck of a great gloat! You lucky dog....and delivered too...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2010, 8:39 PM
Hey Jack, what's his name? I am going to offer 3 bowls for it.:D;):rolleyes::cool:

Congrats Jack.

John Keeton
02-26-2010, 8:48 PM
Jack, after seeing that nested set, that burl is meant for you!! That is one huge chunk of wood, but if it produces bowls like the others - WOW!!

Kevin J Lalonde
02-26-2010, 8:56 PM
Fine gloat and nice set of bowls. Did you core them while green and finished them later? What coring system did you use on the set?

Jack Mincey
02-26-2010, 9:07 PM
Thanks everyone. Kevin, I use the oneway system to core my bowls. I turn them to finish thickness green and let them dry.
Jack

James Combs
02-26-2010, 9:08 PM
I have a walnut burl about a quarter to 1/3 that size. Been wondering what to do with it.:confused: Have never used one and have only turned pens so far. Whats coring? Is there any special way to slice these things up? Is there a tutorial on the creek someplace?:confused:

I receive a call today from a man that works with my brother about the possibility of making two bowls for him in exchange for this burl he had. This is a picture of the little burl. I should get more than 12 bowls from it. His estimate is that it weighs in around 600 pounds. It looks just like the oak burl I had last year. He is going to even bring it to my shop.
Jack

Ryan Baker
02-26-2010, 9:13 PM
I have a walnut burl about a quarter to 1/3 that size. Been wondering what to do with it.:confused: Have never used one and have only turned pens so far. Whats coring? Is there any special way to slice these things up? Is there a tutorial on the creek someplace?:confused:
Coring is using a curved blade to cut bowl blanks out of the center of a larger blank. See Jack's picture above. That started as one piece. The coring blade cuts down between each bowl so that you save the material in the center instead of just turning it away.

Gary Chester
02-26-2010, 9:18 PM
Holy Crap!!!:eek: That is amazing!!!:eek: And that set of bowls... WOW!!:eek:

And I was so excited about my holly gloat... I feel like such a "girlie man"...:(

wanna trade for some holly? HA!!!:D

Jon Lanier
02-26-2010, 9:26 PM
That is great! I think a hollow form is in there..... yep I can see it right over there.

Oh, and a bunch of scrap pen blanks.

James Combs
02-26-2010, 9:26 PM
Thanks, I have seen that done before. I thought the coring refereed to here was a way of slicing and or dicing up the burl.:o

Coring is using a curved blade to cut bowl blanks out of the center of a larger blank. See Jack's picture above. That started as one piece. The coring blade cuts down between each bowl so that you save the material in the center instead of just turning it away.

alex carey
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
holy moley that is a big burl, looking forward to more picts when you open it up.

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Excellent gloat Jack! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Jack Mincey
02-27-2010, 7:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I will post pictures as I get this bad boy finished up. Kevin, I use the Oneway coring system and find it very easy to use. My high school students are able to use it the first time they try with little trouble. I turn all my nature edge bowls like the nested set to finial thickness green and let them dry. They move a bit, but with a natural edge it just adds to the look.
Thanks Again,
Jack Mincey

George Guadiane
02-27-2010, 7:53 PM
GLORIOUS (I'm jealous)
Great gloat.

Nathan Hawkes
02-28-2010, 4:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Kevin, I use the oneway system to core my bowls. I turn them to finish thickness green and let them dry.
Jack

Jack, I loved the nested set you posted a while back. I'm curious; do you have a big bandsaw? I often wish that I had more than a 12" height capacity for big chunks. If I got pieces like yours, I'd be thinking about an old 36" or 42" Tannewitz or Oliver with a 24" cut!! More than the cut capacity, I wish I could put bigger pieces of wood on the table to process more easily and with less back strain....

I see some empty chainsaw gas cans, some ibuprofen, and aspercreme in your near future.

Jack Mincey
02-28-2010, 5:10 PM
Nathan,
I have a MM16 which lets me cut up to 16" high which is very nice. I still use a chainsaw to rough out large burls such as this. It is just to hard to get chunks of wood that weigh more than 100lbs up on any bandsaw. It takes a little time, but I can get them very close to round with a chainsaw while it is sitting on a block of wood.
Thanks again,
Jack