PDA

View Full Version : What size doughnut chuck for a 12" lathe?

Jack Gaskins
02-26-2010, 6:50 PM
I want to make a doughnut chuck for my Delta 46-460 lathe. Do I make a 12" chuck or a 10" chuck?

Wally Dickerman
02-26-2010, 7:30 PM
I want to make a doughnut chuck for my Delta 46-460 lathe. Do I make a 12" chuck or a 10" chuck?

Make it as large as the lathe will swing. For a 12 in. swing lathe that would be just a little under 12 inches. Now that doesn't mean that you can mount a 12 inch bowl on it....more like 10 inches max.

Wally

charlie knighton
02-26-2010, 7:57 PM
i have never used a donut chuck, but seems to me you would need several sizes of donut chucks, if you had a 7 inch bowl, it would not fit in donut chuck for 10 inch would it????????

i have seen them, never used one, just seems they would need to be sized

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2010, 8:05 PM
Charlie...actually it is the size of the opening that's important. If a guy has one with an opening of say 4"-5"....you can do most of what you would need to do.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2010, 8:18 PM
On my donut chuck for my 1220 I have one for each size from 4" to 11". There are seven of them and have never had a problem with finding a size. One my Nova I have them from 4" to 15". Yep 11 of them and again no problem finding a good size.

Wally Dickerman
02-26-2010, 8:23 PM
i have never used a donut chuck, but seems to me you would need several sizes of donut chucks, if you had a 7 inch bowl, it would not fit in donut chuck for 10 inch would it????????

i have seen them, never used one, just seems they would need to be sized

I have several donuts....at least 5, all a different size opening. I use 3 bolts and in several lengths to cover all sizes.

When making a donut chuck, I use 1/4-inch plywood for the donut. I want a little give without applying too much pressure on the bowl or vessel. I have a little padding on the the donut where the bolt is and where it'll contact the bowl.

Years ago I visited Jack Straka, a pro turner, on the big island of Hawaii. He is credited with inventing the donut chuck. I went home and made my first one. (I also went home with several duffle bags full of curly Koa bowl blanks) In those days if a bag was under 70 lb. it went into luggage.

Wally

charlie knighton
02-26-2010, 8:57 PM
thanks Wally, Bernie, Ken

:D:D:D

Richard Madison
02-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Jack, As Wally said, make the "faceplate" piece of your chuck as large as the lathe will swing (12"?). Then you can also use this piece as a friction chuck for any piece to almost 12" that still has a center mark in the bottom. Just clamp the piece to the faceplate using the live center in the tailstock. Some things need the doughnut and some do not.

Gary Chester
02-26-2010, 11:22 PM
OK... it's a trick question...

The faceplate part should be as big as you can get it (12").

The many "donuts" (to fit different size turnings) are the same outside diameter with different "donut holes" to fit what you put in them... clear as mud?

scott schmidt grasshopper
02-27-2010, 1:41 AM
I use a baseplate cut from a 1x10 oak for my DC at 11.75 so i have a little extra room between the DC and the lathe bed. for donuts I used melanie sign board ( about 5/8th's I think ) first I cut out the largest donut and marked where alignment holes would set ( I use 4 -1/4"stovebolts with wingnuts of various lengthes)then I drill a pilot hole and cut the next inner circle with a jig saw at about 50 to 60 degrees, this way I can stack the donuts (#2 locks under #1) make donuts until you cover most of the sizes you make. each donut has a set of bolt holes and with interlocking rings if you need the #3 for to hold onto the bowl but cant clear the bolts on the edge of the bowl you can stack until you get large enough to clear the rim, also you can turn the rings over to get a better grip or angle. for padding I use felt which i cut into rings to fit each donut

Jack Gaskins
02-27-2010, 5:44 PM
Thanks for the replies and from what I have read I am guessing that you make ONE face plate then you make several donut plates of various sizes to fit your turnings?

Steve Schlumpf
02-27-2010, 5:50 PM
That is correct.

Jack Gaskins
02-27-2010, 8:41 PM
That is correct.

Thanks, guess I will hunt around for the best plans on making one.