PDA

View Full Version : Just Pulled The Trigger...

Joe Leigh
02-26-2010, 6:14 PM
..On a new Grizzly G1023RL. The bad news is that the delivery date is May 11! The only 10" saw, cabinet or contractor in stock, is the 690. The 690 is $125 more than the new 1023. I guess the wait is the price you pay for the newer style with riving knife and upgraded dust collection. Oh well, guess I'll get busy getting the shop organized...gonna be a long 2 1/2 months.

Should be "Pulled" The Trigger. Anyway to edit the thread title?

Glen Butler
02-26-2010, 6:28 PM
That is a long time to wait. Is the wait because they are not in full production yet?

Tom W Armstrong
02-26-2010, 7:14 PM
Joe, you're in the same position as me and my Hammer A3-31. Just get the garage cleaned up and have the spot all ready. Congrats on the purchase!

Joe Leigh
02-26-2010, 8:38 PM
That is a long time to wait. Is the wait because they are not in full production yet?

Glen, I'm not sure, they did say that this was the initial shipment so it sounds like they haven't delivered a single unit yet. I know they've been advertising this new model for a few months now so that's kinda surprising.

Joe Leigh
02-26-2010, 8:39 PM
Joe, you're in the same position as me and my Hammer A3-31. Just get the garage cleaned up and have the spot all ready. Congrats on the purchase!

Just checked out your thread, congrats! sounds like a great deal, especially the free delivery.

Tom W Armstrong
02-26-2010, 8:40 PM
How long ago did you guys place your order and what date did they give you?

There's a thread around on this. I placed it today and it will be shipped the first week of May.

Jason White
02-26-2010, 8:55 PM
A few?? They've only been advertising the new 1023 since January 1st.

I'm sure the folks who ordered the new model won't end up waiting until May.

Jason

Glen, I'm not sure, they did say that this was the initial shipment so it sounds like they haven't delivered a single unit yet. I know they've been advertising this new model for a few months now so that's kinda surprising.

Neil Brooks
02-26-2010, 8:58 PM
..On a new Grizzly G1023RL. The bad news is that the delivery date is May 11!

Time will NEVER again move as slowly as it does between now and May 11th ;)

Congrats, though! I just looked at one at a garage sale, and ... so far ... just couldn't do it!

Mike Heidrick
02-26-2010, 10:10 PM
One thing to wait for a Felder/Hammer from Austria - quite another to wait for a Griz with 3 US warehouses. Lots of imports from Taiwan in the states already. Maybe the price makes it worth it :confused::confused::confused:

Chuck Isaacson
02-26-2010, 10:18 PM
I would have spent the extra $125 and got the G0690. Thats just me though.

Joe Shinall
02-26-2010, 11:30 PM
I would have spent the extra $125 and got the G0690. Thats just me though.

Highly agreed. When I decide to buy something, hell I don't even want to wait the car ride to go pick it up! I'd be at the plant with a bullhorn yelling at people to hurry the hell up and get mine off the line! :D

Steve Walls
02-27-2010, 12:23 AM
I think that qualifies as piss poor production, inventory and distribution control. They might what to consider undertaking some process improvement initiatives. How companies that operate this way and stay in business, amaze me.

Van Huskey
02-27-2010, 12:44 AM
I think that qualifies as piss poor production, inventory and distribution control. They might what to consider undertaking some process improvement initiatives. How companies that operate this way and stay in business, amaze me.

I think you are completly incorrect here. I think a company that has product in enough demand that it has a waiting list for new product is doing a lot of things correctly. Although not strictly analogical by any means look at Ferrari's business model the 2-3-4 year waiting list for their 8 cylinder cars seems to work pretty well. The key with Grizzly is they offer the best bang for the buck in a usually readily available full line machine importer. They (Grizzly) can't always deliver the item you want at the time you want it but neither can Jet/PM, Delta or any of the other importers. A company that carried a lot of inventory over the last year and a half is probably one talking to a bankruptcy attorney.

Joe Leigh
02-27-2010, 7:53 AM
Well I didn't start this thread to condemn or berate Grizzly's business practices. Heck I wouldn't be plunking down $1200 on one of their saws if I didn't think they sold a great product. I'm really excited about my purchase and I'll wait the time in order to get it. I just thought it was odd that they have yet to deliver a saw that has been advertised in their catalog since Jan 1, and won't be until more than 5 months after the release of the catalog. Unless I was mistaken the sales person clearly said "initial delivery".
As for the 690, it's a great saw, but there are two improvements in the new 1023 line, namely the serpentine drive belt replacing the three belt system which many here have had negative comments about, and the improved dust collection. This is something else many cabinet saw users have said could use improvement. The new saw uses an incapsulated dust shroud below the blade to improve dust collection at the source.

Tom Welch
02-27-2010, 8:12 AM
Joe,
I feel your pain, I just ordered a Powermatic PM2700 5 hp shaper and they are out of stock and it is on back order til May. :( But I got a sweet deal ($2,765 with lift gate:D) so I am not complaining, besides I have a router table that works just fine. I think a really good product is worth waiting for.

Jim O'Dell
02-27-2010, 10:22 AM
In case some of you don't know, the Grizzly catalog comes out ONE time per year, and that is the middle of December to the first of January. What would you do if you had a new product about to hit the market, and your catalog wouldn't show it for another year? I'd include it. It might have been a good idea to say availability est first quarter of 2010, but it does say new at the top, and that should at least make one think that they might not be in stock yet.
IIRC Shiraz said in thread just the other day that the saws were going through QC and would be out quicker than what was being reported. So my guess is it won't be May. Maybe more like late March, if not sooner.
When I ordered my G0691 in mid December, sales told me April. It arrived in about 10 days. (They found one that the sale had been canceled on that wasn't showing in the computer) If the OP isn't uptight about the delivery date, why should the rest of us get upset about it?
Joe, congrats on the saw!!! I'll be looking forward to your report and review as soon as it arrives! Jim.

ps: I just went back and looked and not finding that the 1023's were in QC. Might have been a shipment of 690/1s I'm remembering. Sure is sad when the memory starts to go. :p

Ryan Welch
02-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Well I didn't start this thread to condemn or berate Grizzly's business practices. Heck I wouldn't be plunking down $1200 on one of their saws if I didn't think they sold a great product. I'm really excited about my purchase and I'll wait the time in order to get it. I just thought it was odd that they have yet to deliver a saw that has been advertised in their catalog since Jan 1, and won't be until more than 5 months after the release of the catalog. Unless I was mistaken the sales person clearly said "initial delivery".
As for the 690, it's a great saw, but there are two improvements in the new 1023 line, namely the serpentine drive belt replacing the three belt system which many here have had negative comments about, and the improved dust collection. This is something else many cabinet saw users have said could use improvement. The new saw uses an incapsulated dust shroud below the blade to improve dust collection at the source.

I guess you have to weigh the options. Personally, I would choose a far superior motor and riving knife to better dust collection and a serpentine belt. Too bad grizzly doesn't offer a saw with a combination of both of these saws' strong points...................ah a perfect world

David Helm
02-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I too have ordered the new 1023. Since I live in Bellingham, I had the benefit of talking to the source. The reason for the delay is directly related to the economy. The factories had slowed production due to lack of sales, and,there are currently something like six or seven of these saws ordered. Takes a while to bring production back up.

Chuck Isaacson
02-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I guess you have to weigh the options. Personally, I would choose a far superior motor and riving knife to better dust collection and a serpentine belt. Too bad grizzly doesn't offer a saw with a combination of both of these saws' strong points...................ah a perfect world

I would have to agree about the better motor than the DC. The cabinet is closed, so you might have to open it up am clear it out occasionally. I would rather do that and have a better motor.

Van Huskey
02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
IIRC Shiraz said in thread just the other day that the saws were going through QC and would be out quicker than what was being reported. So my guess is it won't be May. Maybe more like late March, if not sooner.
Jim.

Jim, I didn't check but I thought that was in regard to the 690/1 saws, but I may be incorrect.

Joe Leigh
02-27-2010, 2:52 PM

So we're clear, the new 1023 includes a riving knife like the 690. As for the motors, well I don't know the specs on each and seeing how a new 1023RL has yet to be delivered, not sure how a comparison can be made.

Jim O'Dell
02-27-2010, 6:00 PM
Jim, I didn't check but I thought that was in regard to the 690/1 saws, but I may be incorrect.

Yes, and I was updating my message while your's was sent evidently. Thanks! Jim.

Van Huskey
02-27-2010, 6:34 PM
So we're clear, the new 1023 includes a riving knife like the 690. As for the motors, well I don't know the specs on each and seeing how a new 1023RL has yet to be delivered, not sure how a comparison can be made.

Well the 690/1 has a Leeson motor along with Baldor considered the best there is, the 1023 if Grizzly ads follow history will have an import motor. The riving knife from my understanding is not the same and does not have the glowing reviews of the one on the 690/1. To some the Leeson alone is worth the price, but for me balanced against the non-poly V drive that is a wash, so for me I would make my call on the money vs the "better" riving knife setup. All in all it is very close, shame they didn't just make one saw with all the positives and one without then it would be purely money vs improvements.

Shiraz Balolia
02-27-2010, 6:49 PM
I too have ordered the new 1023. Since I live in Bellingham, I had the benefit of talking to the source. The reason for the delay is directly related to the economy. The factories had slowed production due to lack of sales, and,there are currently something like six or seven of these saws ordered. Takes a while to bring production back up.

Actually, that information is wrong, and I will make sure on Monday morning that the showroom staff does not guess at the reason for the delay.

The reason for the delay of this particular machine is because it was a complete re-design inside with the addition of a riving knife and other criteria to meet UL987 requirements. Thus, there are two factors for the delay:

1) The re-design was started more than 18 months ago, with several prototype evaluations that were concluded in the Fall last year. However, the new design has to be completely tested and approved before new dies are made for production.

2) Also, the delay is further being caused by the UL/CSA approval office overseas. The machines are made in Taiwan and the inspector from UL evidently has to come from their Hong Kong office and does not come often. We have not received any of these new G1023 series of machines yet and have several hundred of them on order.

Luckily, we have the G0690/91 series coming in and going out regulary, or else we would have been without cabinet saws to serve our customers. These are also all UL987 approved.

Shiraz Balolia
02-27-2010, 6:57 PM

The new G1023 series of saws use the same, well-proven motors that have been in use for over ten years on the old G1023 series saws.

Paul Ryan
02-27-2010, 7:50 PM
Well the 690/1 has a Leeson motor along with Baldor considered the best there is, the 1023 if Grizzly ads follow history will have an import motor. The riving knife from my understanding is not the same and does not have the glowing reviews of the one on the 690/1. To some the Leeson alone is worth the price, but for me balanced against the non-poly V drive that is a wash, so for me I would make my call on the money vs the "better" riving knife setup. All in all it is very close, shame they didn't just make one saw with all the positives and one without then it would be purely money vs improvements.

I think the dust shroud trumps any lesson motor, or a possibly better riving knife that the 690/1 have. A dust shroud helps dust collection drastically. Just having a riving knife is a bonus. The only thing I could see that would be different between the riving knifes on the 2 saws would be the ridgidity of the riving knife. And that really isn't that big of a deal, if it is a decent piece of steel.

From what I have seen I think the "R" series saws are superior to the 690/1 series, based on the extras included. But they do lack 4" rip capacity in the short fence version. And you can by the 1023 saw with a router table built in, unlike the 690/1 you must purchase it as an accessory.

Chuck Isaacson
02-27-2010, 8:03 PM
And you can by the 1023 saw with a router table built in, unlike the 690/1 you must purchase it as an accessory.

You can also buy the router table extension for the 1023 as an accessory. Yes the extension for the 690/1 is more expensive, but just by looking at it, it is far superior. It also comes with a much nicer and more adjustable fence than the 1023 extension.

Van Huskey
02-27-2010, 8:15 PM
You can also buy the router table extension for the 1023 as an accessory. Yes the extension for the 690/1 is more expensive, but just by looking at it, it is far superior. It also comes with a much nicer and more adjustable fence than the 1023 extension.

That I agree with the 1023 router extension is a joke.

Bill Whig
02-27-2010, 9:13 PM

Since it has been brought up, can anyone confirm whether the Grizzly 690 router extension table is compatible with the routers from Dewalt?

I have (very) little experience. Is there a good way to do DC with this configuration (does one require a router table fence/guide?)? I have brushed off the idea of the extension table because I didn't know the answers to these questions, but the extension table is a tempting solution to me.

Bill

Van Huskey
02-27-2010, 9:23 PM
Since it has been brought up, can anyone confirm whether the Grizzly 690 router extension table is compatible with the routers from Dewalt?

I have (very) little experience. Is there a good way to do DC with this configuration (does one require a router table fence/guide?)? I have brushed off the idea of the extension table because I didn't know the answers to these questions, but the extension table is a tempting solution to me.

Bill

Given it doesn't accept an insert I wouldn't even consider it for the $400. I would look at adding something like the Incra table saw wing (or others) that use an insert, it will save you a lot of trouble and frustration over time.

Milind Patil
03-01-2010, 11:22 AM
The G0690 is $175 more than G1023RL, and not $125 if you include the freight ($94 vs $144), although I can't understand why the difference in freight when both the saws are same weight !

I finally locked myself down to G0661 and called them this morning to place order, only to hear the bad new: wait for two months or buy G0690. Now in my case, it is $944 vs $1394 (including freight),that's whopping $450 difference.

I read the Grizzly owner's excuses for the G1023RL delay (something to do with redesign, UL certification, etc). I wonder what is the excuse for G0661 delay ! Quite disappointing though, especially when you already spent a whole month doing heavy research and evaluating a product !