PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy Rehabbed Disstons

Steve Friedman
02-26-2010, 5:19 PM
My question is where would you go to buy a rehabbed Disston saw?

I want to buy 2 large Disstons - a rip and a crosscut - to cut 8/4 maple into 3" strips for a new workbench top. In addition, since I have never tried anything like this before, I will also be using these saws to teach myself to make accurate and square cuts.

My first instinct was to look at the Wenzloff saws, but that just seems a little pretentious for my first saws. So, I started to look at rehabbed Disstons. I know that I need to learn to sharpen the saws, but thought that I should buy them sharpened so that I know what sharp really looks and feels like. This project won't work if the learning process is too frustrating.

Thanks,

Steve

Robert Rozaieski
02-26-2010, 5:43 PM
Send an email to Mark Harrell at Bad Axe Toolworks (Google his web site) and send Darryl Weir a message over on the Woodnet forum (or on ebay; his user name is woodnut4). Both do amazing things with old saws.

Chris Vandiver
02-26-2010, 5:57 PM
You can try a saw saw man named Acharya at; kumar@hindu.org
He does an excellent job of refurbishing saws and his sharpening is excellent. Definitely worth a look.

Joel Goodman
02-26-2010, 6:13 PM
+1 on Daryl. I purchased two saws from him and they were as described and ready to go.

Bob Easton
02-26-2010, 7:13 PM
Peter Taran's Vintage Saws site focuses on Disston and offers quite a few for sale any time I've looked. Pete also has a great sharpening tutorial too. http://vintagesaws.com

David Gendron
02-26-2010, 7:32 PM
I've been looking recently at Pete web site and he seems to have only D8 right now, and not that many! I got a saw from a fellow creeker that I believe came from this guy:azmica90405 (http://myworld.ebay.com/azmica90405&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID)
this is his ebay contact "name".

Martin Peek
02-26-2010, 7:40 PM
Pete Taran's site is great. The saw filing primer helped me get started. For sharp workaday saws, I recommend Michael Merlo (ebay azmica90405). He is local to me in LA and set me up with my first two saws at a good price.

I recently ripped the sides of my slab workbench top with an old Disston 5 1/2pt - it's a huge effort! I needed to get the wood to the right height to maintain a loose, comfortable position while sawing. I still got sore behind the shoulder blade. Good luck!

Eric Brown
02-27-2010, 6:24 AM
Michael Merlos only job is cleaning up and sharpening old saws. He isn't concerned with collecting only making very good cutting saws. The one I got from him was well done. If you look at his E-Bay offerings you may find what you want. However, he has a lot of saws and if you tell him what you want he will work with you and give you a good price. He also offers one free sharpening for every saw. (At least he did. Might check.)

Eric

Ryan Welch
02-27-2010, 11:29 AM
My question is where would you go to buy a rehabbed Disston saw?

I want to buy 2 large Disstons - a rip and a crosscut - to cut 8/4 maple into 3" strips for a new workbench top. In addition, since I have never tried anything like this before, I will also be using these saws to teach myself to make accurate and square cuts.

My first instinct was to look at the Wenzloff saws, but that just seems a little pretentious for my first saws. So, I started to look at rehabbed Disstons. I know that I need to learn to sharpen the saws, but thought that I should buy them sharpened so that I know what sharp really looks and feels like. This project won't work if the learning process is too frustrating.
Thanks,

Steve

may I offer an alternative? These saws pop-up at just about every auction and on ebay/craigslist. I am sure you can find a reputable sharpening service in your area. Buy the saws for a couple bucks and get them sharpened. I have a half dozen disstons and paid 2 bucks a piece and had them sharpened for 20 bucks. They are super sharp and work great.