PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Kalimba

Sean Dugre
02-26-2010, 4:38 PM
Here is a kalimba I threw together from a scrap piece of cherry and some aluminum stock I had hanging around. For those who don't know, a kalimba is an african percussion instrument also known as a "thumb piano". I made the tines from electrician's fish tape. It sounds surprisingly good and is easy to play.

Mike Olson
02-26-2010, 5:02 PM
That is really neat. I need to throw one of those together for the kids. right after all my other little projects of course...

Brad Westcott
02-26-2010, 5:24 PM
Man, I wish I had more time to play.

I am so buried in projects, I wonder if I will ever get to do something just for fun!

Nice job, by the way. And imaginative use of materials too!

Thanks for sharing.

Ted Calver
02-26-2010, 5:26 PM
Nice!! I've had one since I was a kid and still enjoy the sound it makes :)

John Thompson
02-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Very interesting build... I had never heard of one before your post. Live and learn...

Chad Stucke
03-07-2010, 8:23 PM
Sean
Looks neat.
You wouldnt happen to have plan for this or rough measurements handy.
I would like to make one for the kids.
Chad

Jim Becker
03-07-2010, 8:42 PM
That's a very kewel project!

Van Huskey
03-07-2010, 9:16 PM
Very cool now I know what a Kalimba is.

Sean Dugre
03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Chad, I don't have any plans, but I measured it up for you. It's about 7" x 4-3/4" x 7/8". The dimensions aren't critical. To make it I resawed a piece of scrap, then hollowed out one half on the drill press with a forstner bit. After that, glue it back up and then square it up on the jointer. I think the front and back faces ended up being about 1/8" thick.

Here is a pretty good site to check out: http://www.kalimbamagic.com/
It will show you how to tune it.

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 7:47 AM
Now, that is neat!! I suppose one could use contrasting woods, and simply glue up a hollow box. Maybe a walnut top/bottom, and maple bands? That would avoid the drilling, etc. The area where the mechanism goes would need to be wider to support the drilling, etc.

Chad Stucke
03-18-2010, 12:43 AM
I think I will try to make one is the hollowed part below the tines also?
Or stop it before the mount.
Chad