PDA

View Full Version : Small Pear HF

Michael E. Thompson
02-26-2010, 4:04 PM
Here is my latest turning, its approx 4x4 HF with about .1875 wall. First attempt at leaving the pith in the side. Its actually ornimental pear with a bit of spalting, soft, but sands fairly well. Tear out was not a big problem with a sharp tool. Let me know what you think, C&C please.

David E Keller
02-26-2010, 4:08 PM
Looks good... I'd love to see it with a little finish on.

Roland Martin
02-26-2010, 4:14 PM
Very well done. I've yet to turn a HF, slowly getting some tooling for it, but still not ready.

Richard Coers
02-26-2010, 4:25 PM
Very nice Michael. Your approx. wall thickness to 4 decimal places made me smile. Are you an engineer? Was it dry? If wet, I'll be interested to see how it distorts. Nice work!

Terry Murphy
02-26-2010, 4:37 PM
I like the hollow form!
Looks really good, thanks for shareing.

Terry

PS Does the spalting stop, or does it continue?

Scott Lux
02-26-2010, 4:38 PM
I like it. Is there a finish on it? I like it as is. But then I like wood that's not so shiny.

Gary Chester
02-26-2010, 4:40 PM
Yea... it looks like .1874 from here.:D

I like it, are you going to make it shiny?

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2010, 4:46 PM
Looks pretty good Michael! Nice form - pretty wood!

Terry - wood continues to spalt until it runs out of oxygen or moisture. Putting a finish on the wood will block the oxygen and prevent further spalting.

Joseph M Lary
02-26-2010, 5:20 PM
Very nice , cant wait to see it with finish on it .

Michael E. Thompson
02-26-2010, 6:16 PM
Your approx. wall thickness to 4 decimal places made me smile. Are you an engineer?

I was wondering is someone would catch the four decimals. I was laughing to myself a bit as well. Not a degreed engineer, more of a designer that does engineering. It sickens my wife that I can translate fraction to decimal and back from the top of my head. I find it useful.

The form is not completely finished yet. I started with a couple coats of tung oil and then a thin coat of blonde shellac. I rubbed it out with steel-wool (likely why it looks unfinished) and plan a couple more coats of shellac and buff it out. Its actually quite a bit darker than unfinished, I should have taken a pic unfinished. I will post another pic once the finish is finished.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Mike

John Keeton
02-26-2010, 7:21 PM
Nice work. I like the embellishment at the opening, and a nice piece of wood, too.

Bill Bolen
02-26-2010, 8:18 PM
Nice form on a good little piece of wood. Looking forward to seeing it with finish on it...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2010, 8:19 PM
Nice piece. Make sure you post it when the finish is on.