PDA

View Full Version : Corel error 1714

Linda Tetreault
02-26-2010, 1:52 PM
I've had some problems lately, not sure if it's software or hardware. Software I thought I could fix, bad thought.

I uninstalled Corel X3 upgrade & tried to re-install, got an error about a patch package, found windows install cleanup & fixed that problem. I now have a message "older version of CDx3 can not be removed". I am now stumped, I found one possible solution at the Corel Knowledge center about "regedit", but the directions are over my head.

I have CD11 installed & it runs just fine, however all my files are in X3, so I'm up the proverbial creek. Has anyone had this problem & is there a work around?

Thanks for your time.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-26-2010, 3:07 PM
I uninstalled Corel X3 upgrade & tried to re-install, got an error about a patch package, found windows install cleanup & fixed that problem. I now have a message "older version of CDx3 can not be removed". I am now stumped, I found one possible solution at the Corel Knowledge center about "regedit", but the directions are over my head.

Is this the Micrsoft tool that you used?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
..it helps clean up old installs.....

In Add>Remove programs does X3 still show as installed?
T.

Linda Tetreault
02-26-2010, 3:32 PM
Yes, that's the program I used & X3 does not show up in the remove programs section.

Dave Johnson29
02-26-2010, 4:40 PM
Linda,

Can you do a system restore to before the un-install of the update?

Go to
Start
Control Panel
Backup and Restore Center
There should be a line of text near the bottom saying...
"Use System restore to fix problems and undo changes to Windows"

Click that and select a restore point date prior to the problematic un-install and follow the prompts. It will take a while but that should get you back working.

Linda Tetreault
02-26-2010, 6:07 PM
Thanks Dave,

yes, I've done a restore, several times, before & after I tried installing. Somewhere in the systems there must be an X3 file that is not showing up. I've done searches, opened files 1 by 1 to find something. Guess I'll start looking again tomorrow.

Called my guru friend who said "hmmmmmmm, let me think about this" Now he has something to do this weekend. lol

I'm not sure why I did it, but I finished up all the work I had in the shop yesterday, so I don't have any pending orders right now, thank goodness.

Frank Corker
02-26-2010, 7:03 PM
Linda. Uninstall Corel in the normal way through Control panel or alternatively you can use this file that I have uploaded for you
http://rapidshare.com/files/356379713/CorelUninstaller.exe (use the free option if you don't have an account). Uninstall Corel with this.

This is the important bit. Use your File Explorer to go to a file directory on your computer which is marked like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\COMPUTERNAMEGOESHERE\Application Data

you should see a corel directory there which does not get uninstalled even when using Control panel. Delete it. Re-install and it should be totally reset.

IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FOLDER
This might be a hidden directory so you need to set your computer settings to view hidden files. To do that, open any folder (say My Documents), click on Tools/Folder Options - Click the View tab and you will see show hidden files folders. (Click on the attached picture below to see what I'm talking about) Click it like in the diagram. Then go back to your explorer and find the folder I mentioned above). Remove the Corel folders and then reinstall fresh.

Being brutally honest above where I put Computer name goes here, needs to be changed ok! Then once the reinstall has been done everything in Corel should run tickity boo

Tom Bull
02-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Corel should run tickity boo? Is that like lickity split?

I am definately going to hide this thread in the secret stash of good stuff to know.

Linda Tetreault
02-27-2010, 12:32 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FRANK,

Your program did the trick, it took all of 5 minutes, for a project I spent 5 hours on yesterday. Corel X3 now runs tickety boo!!:):p:):p:)

Frank Corker
02-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Glad to hear that chick

Larry Bratton
02-27-2010, 2:03 PM
ROFLMAO! Good job Frank!!! I like it.."tikety boo". Gonna make a note of that.